Site Sponsors

Thread: G2's touch screen..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Question G2's touch screen..

With the handgrip for the right hand and the flip/swing LCD on the left, who would the touch screen benefit?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G2's touch screen..

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    With the handgrip for the right hand and the flip/swing LCD on the left, who would the touch screen benefit?
    Men?
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Left handed or right handed?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. Never mind.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    Oh. Never mind.
    People with long noses of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Those using tripods?? Not completely sure, but I would imagine that one could get used to using your left thumb to tap a location where you want the camera to focus while using both hands.

Cliff

Kewk

So the hand grip should be move to the left? Or the screen should be move to the bottom so you can use you toes? I don't understand the question.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kewk, Are you 5 cm tall so that you can touch the screen with your toes if it is moved to the bottom?!

Post Thanks / Like

wonder who did panasonic consult when they decided on a strategy to go with touch screen. maybe they talked to steve jobs.
    if they wanted to upgrade the g1, they should have made it rugged, pro oriented, maybe look at their long time partner leica and learn from them.
    i loved the interface of the digilux 2, which was made by panasonic.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have been skeptical about Panasonic's marketing skills ever since I read about their new 14mm f/2.8 prime. That focal length is already covered by the kit lens and its less than a stop faster. Its primary advantage seems to be physical size, as optical quality is TBD. Had it been a 12mm, with good IQ, I would probably buy it. A 12mm f/2.8, 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/2.8 macro makes a nice prime kit. In 35mm format terms, I rarely need wider than 24mm, but 28mm is, often, not quite wide enough.

I notice on the B&H site, Panasonic has not seen fit to offer the G2 in a body-only configuration or even with a 20mm f/1.7. Those of us who already own the kit lens don't need/want to buy another copy.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I plan on using the touchscreen (once I eventually upgrade my GH1 to whatever the successor is) primarily as a means to scroll through photos I've taken, and perhaps to change settings quickly. I don't use the LCD to actually take photos unless it's on very rare occasions when I need to swivel the LCD for off-angle shots, but in that case I'm holding the camera with two hands and wouldn't be able to do much with the touchscreen anyway. I think it's a feature best used for the compact m4/3 cameras that don't have an EVF.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I can see I would use the touch screen every now and then. With the camera on tripod the touch screen will come in handy for zooming in focus points and more.

For the rest of the time I have my screen folded inwards and then it doesn't matter if it is a touchy screen or not... The usual buttons on the camera will be there, right? At first I didn't see the point in a touch screen but now I believe Panasonic made something clever. There are young folks out there used to touch screens and it is not a feature that by itself excludes anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi666 View Post
    wonder who did panasonic consult when they decided on a strategy to go with touch screen. maybe they talked to steve jobs.
    if they wanted to upgrade the g1, they should have made it rugged, pro oriented, maybe look at their long time partner leica and learn from them.
    i loved the interface of the digilux 2, which was made by panasonic.
    I don't know... what would Panasonic learn from Leica?
    A more rugged body, I would love that. Two wheels!! and better lenses to go with... the list can be made long.

regards,

/Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Kerfoot View Post
    I too have been skeptical about Panasonic's marketing skills ever since I read about their new 14mm f/2.8 prime. That focal length is already covered by the kit lens and its less than a stop faster. Its primary advantage seems to be physical size, as optical quality is TBD. Had it been a 12mm, with good IQ, I would probably buy it. A 12mm f/2.8, 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/2.8 macro makes a nice prime kit. In 35mm format terms, I rarely need wider than 24mm, but 28mm is, often, not quite wide enough.

I notice on the B&H site, Panasonic has not seen fit to offer the G2 in a body-only configuration or even with a 20mm f/1.7. Those of us who already own the kit lens don't need/want to buy another copy.

Paul
    I am sure the 14mm prime is being made for the GF1 shooter that wants to use small primes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will buy the 14/2.8. I know that I can use it at least for IR.

I was using the Nikon fisheye 10.5 on the G1 earlier today. Superb image quality but too big with the adapter and all.

Oddly, when I used this lens on Nikon DSLRs, it was one of the tiniest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The touch screen is probably not made for most of the contributors to this forum. I believe it is made primarily for those millions of P&S users that might upgrade to something that is intuitive and simple. I think that the touch screen will migrate to the the GFI successor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have any Panasonic camera for the moment, my mft camera being an E-P1, but I'm looking forward to reviews of the G2. I think that if I ever end up with one, I'd support the camera by holding the lense between the left thumb and first finger, with the body resting on my upper palm, near of the wrist. I'd use the right first finger to point at things.. for instance to indicate where the AF point should be. Or, from what I've read, for pointing on highlights points, which should stay in the dynamical range, while I adjust the exposure compensation.
    At first I wasn't convinced either, but after looking at the demo video, I begun change my mind. It may result in a whole new way of taking picture ! I'm waiting to see whether the camera will get good reviews or not. If the reviews are positive, I may be tempted to get one. Also because I like the articulated lcd and miss one on my E-P1.

Post Thanks / Like

One instance in which a touch screen would be useful is when you have the camera on a tripod for macro work and you could then use the touch screen to define the focus point rather than the current multi-button method.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    One instance in which a touch screen would be useful is when you have the camera on a tripod for macro work and you could then use the touch screen to define the focus point rather than the current multi-button method.

Cheers,
    Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful. The best feature for macro work would a single-button manual focus assist IMO.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    The best feature for macro work would a single-button manual focus assist IMO.

Totally agree with that!

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful. The best feature for macro work would a single-button manual focus assist IMO.
    Dragos,

While I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence, I prefer to use AF with the 45mm f2.8 macro lens (tripod mounted) just because I absolutely hate the focus-by-wire of the Panny lenses. By shifting the focus point to your point of interest, AF work quite well. Being able to do so by simply pointing would be an improvement.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

No and yes. What's wrong with a quick way to enlarge the area of interest for manual focusing? But, I'm still thinking of tripod situations.
    Then of course, I really hope Panasonic has included a single button press enlarging function with the G2.

I don't understand really, why keep bashing a feature that can be good to have from time to time at the same time as it won't bother us for the rest of the time?

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    No and yes. What's wrong with a quick way to enlarge the area of interest for manual focusing? But, I'm still thinking of tripod situations.
    Then of course, I really hope Panasonic has included a single button press enlarging function with the G2.

I don't understand really, why keep bashing a feature that can be good to have from time to time at the same time as it won't bother us for the rest of the time?

/Jonas
    Jonas, nobody's bashing the new feature. It's fair to discuss the potential uses (or non-uses) of the new feature, so I'm not sure why you have such an emotional attachment to this feature to consider honest feedback a form of 'bashing'. Yes, using the touchscreen as means of manual focus assist may be interesting, but I was discussing focusing using the touchscreen, not manual focus assist. Two different features.
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas, nobody's bashing the new feature. It's fair to discuss the potential uses (or non-uses) of the new feature, so I'm not sure why you have such an emotional attachment to this feature to consider honest feedback a form of 'bashing'.
    You are right, bashing is the wrong word. Let me instead say I'm surprised to see so many posts (by not so many posters) being so negative about this touch screen. A touchy subject? No it shouldn't be... it's just a feature among several other ones.

When i first read about the touch screen my reaction was something like WTF, what a waste of effort and why didn't I get the pro oriented body I have been hoping for, and...

The next day (having slept on it) I could see how i could benefit from a touch screen and figured there would be more into it.

My main point is that we for once see a feature not being in the way for those not using it.

Yes, using the touchscreen as means of manual focus assist may be interesting, but I was discussing focusing using the touchscreen, not manual focus assist. Two different features.
    I misread your earlier comment then:

Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful.
    To me the touch screen, in this case, seem to be one feature possible to make use from in both AF and MF mode.

regards,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

the magnification patch is recalcitrant at best in low light situations. That I could give it a shove with my finger now and then would be a plus.

Post Thanks / Like

I misread your earlier comment then:
    No worries. It comes with communication over the internet =).

You are right, bashing is the wrong word. Let me instead say I'm surprised to see so many posts (by not so many posters) being so negative about this touch screen. A touchy subject? No it shouldn't be... it's just a feature among several other ones.
    To be honest, I wouldn't even call the reaction negative so much as it is a simple statement of opinion and fact. When I say I've only found limited use for the feature, it doesn't mean I don't like it (in fact, I think it's cool and it's something I wanted as a feature), just that I've thought about it and I've only figured out a limited use for this feature.

When i first read about the touch screen my reaction was something like WTF, what a waste of effort and why didn't I get the pro oriented body I have been hoping for, and...

The next day (having slept on it) I could see how i could benefit from a touch screen and figured there would be more into it.
    I can tell you that I've been thinking about this feature since it was announced, hoping and wishing to find some potential use for it beyond browsing photos and perhaps using it to change settings.

To be fair, I guarantee you that it's likely many of the same people who are now saying they'll have limited use for this feature will come back in a few months after the product is released and rave about different other ways to use the touchscreen they just didn't see until they actually use it. It's the nature of new technology like this - users find ways to use it in ways which the designers never envisioned, and that's exciting.

My main point is that we for once see a feature not being in the way for those not using it.
    That's kind of a low bar to set in terms of equipment expectations, but I see your point. I don't see this discussion going in the direction of "I wish they'd never implemented that feature" because it can be turned off (thankfully!).

Cheers!
    -Dragos