The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G2's touch screen..

V

Vivek

With the handgrip for the right hand and the flip/swing LCD on the left, who would the touch screen benefit? :confused:

CPWarner

With the handgrip for the right hand and the flip/swing LCD on the left, who would the touch screen benefit? :confused:
Those using tripods?? Not completely sure, but I would imagine that one could get used to using your left thumb to tap a location where you want the camera to focus while using both hands.

Cliff

K

Kewk

So the hand grip should be move to the left? Or the screen should be move to the bottom so you can use you toes? I don't understand the question.

V

Vivek

Kewk, Are you 5 cm tall so that you can touch the screen with your toes if it is moved to the bottom?!:eek:

paparazzi666

wonder who did panasonic consult when they decided on a strategy to go with touch screen. maybe they talked to steve jobs.
if they wanted to upgrade the g1, they should have made it rugged, pro oriented, maybe look at their long time partner leica and learn from them.
i loved the interface of the digilux 2, which was made by panasonic.

I too have been skeptical about Panasonic's marketing skills ever since I read about their new 14mm f/2.8 prime. That focal length is already covered by the kit lens and its less than a stop faster. Its primary advantage seems to be physical size, as optical quality is TBD. Had it been a 12mm, with good IQ, I would probably buy it. A 12mm f/2.8, 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/2.8 macro makes a nice prime kit. In 35mm format terms, I rarely need wider than 24mm, but 28mm is, often, not quite wide enough.

I notice on the B&H site, Panasonic has not seen fit to offer the G2 in a body-only configuration or even with a 20mm f/1.7. Those of us who already own the kit lens don't need/want to buy another copy.

Paul

photoSmart42

Personally I plan on using the touchscreen (once I eventually upgrade my GH1 to whatever the successor is) primarily as a means to scroll through photos I've taken, and perhaps to change settings quickly. I don't use the LCD to actually take photos unless it's on very rare occasions when I need to swivel the LCD for off-angle shots, but in that case I'm holding the camera with two hands and wouldn't be able to do much with the touchscreen anyway. I think it's a feature best used for the compact m4/3 cameras that don't have an EVF.

Jonas

I can see I would use the touch screen every now and then. With the camera on tripod the touch screen will come in handy for zooming in focus points and more.

For the rest of the time I have my screen folded inwards and then it doesn't matter if it is a touchy screen or not... The usual buttons on the camera will be there, right? At first I didn't see the point in a touch screen but now I believe Panasonic made something clever. There are young folks out there used to touch screens and it is not a feature that by itself excludes anything else.

Jonas

wonder who did panasonic consult when they decided on a strategy to go with touch screen. maybe they talked to steve jobs.
if they wanted to upgrade the g1, they should have made it rugged, pro oriented, maybe look at their long time partner leica and learn from them.
i loved the interface of the digilux 2, which was made by panasonic.
I don't know... what would Panasonic learn from Leica?
A more rugged body, I would love that. Two wheels!! and better lenses to go with... the list can be made long.

regards,

/Jonas

Terry

I too have been skeptical about Panasonic's marketing skills ever since I read about their new 14mm f/2.8 prime. That focal length is already covered by the kit lens and its less than a stop faster. Its primary advantage seems to be physical size, as optical quality is TBD. Had it been a 12mm, with good IQ, I would probably buy it. A 12mm f/2.8, 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/2.8 macro makes a nice prime kit. In 35mm format terms, I rarely need wider than 24mm, but 28mm is, often, not quite wide enough.

I notice on the B&H site, Panasonic has not seen fit to offer the G2 in a body-only configuration or even with a 20mm f/1.7. Those of us who already own the kit lens don't need/want to buy another copy.

Paul
I am sure the 14mm prime is being made for the GF1 shooter that wants to use small primes.

V

Vivek

I will buy the 14/2.8. I know that I can use it at least for IR.;)

I was using the Nikon fisheye 10.5 on the G1 earlier today. Superb image quality but too big with the adapter and all.

Oddly, when I used this lens on Nikon DSLRs, it was one of the tiniest!:shocked:

Howard

The touch screen is probably not made for most of the contributors to this forum. I believe it is made primarily for those millions of P&S users that might upgrade to something that is intuitive and simple. I think that the touch screen will migrate to the the GFI successor.

Annna T

I don't have any Panasonic camera for the moment, my mft camera being an E-P1, but I'm looking forward to reviews of the G2. I think that if I ever end up with one, I'd support the camera by holding the lense between the left thumb and first finger, with the body resting on my upper palm, near of the wrist. I'd use the right first finger to point at things.. for instance to indicate where the AF point should be. Or, from what I've read, for pointing on highlights points, which should stay in the dynamical range, while I adjust the exposure compensation.
At first I wasn't convinced either, but after looking at the demo video, I begun change my mind. It may result in a whole new way of taking picture ! I'm waiting to see whether the camera will get good reviews or not. If the reviews are positive, I may be tempted to get one. Also because I like the articulated lcd and miss one on my E-P1.

simonclivehughes

One instance in which a touch screen would be useful is when you have the camera on a tripod for macro work and you could then use the touch screen to define the focus point rather than the current multi-button method.

Cheers,

photoSmart42

One instance in which a touch screen would be useful is when you have the camera on a tripod for macro work and you could then use the touch screen to define the focus point rather than the current multi-button method.

Cheers,
Sure, except that most macro work is done using manual focus (and a lot of field macro work is done hand-held), in which case selecting the focus point on the screen wouldn't actually do anything useful. The best feature for macro work would a single-button manual focus assist IMO.