Site Sponsors

Thread: 4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter: worth doing?

Post Thanks / Like

4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter: worth doing?

I have the old (and very good) 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 tele zoom for standard 4/3. I could pick up the Panasonic 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter ($115 at B&H) so I could use the lens with my G1. I realize that it would not autofocus, nor would it be image stabilized.

The question is, would it be worth doing? Has anyone adapted one of the longer 4/3 lenses to the G1 via one of these adapters, and how did it work out for you?

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter: worth doing?

4/3 to m4/3 adapters work as expected... Contrast-detect AF speed and accuracy depend on the particular lens being adapted. If you like the lens, then it's definitely worth a try on m4/3.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter: worth doing?

I really like my G1 but it is very unfortunate that 1) it does not accept all Zuiko 4/3 lenses in terms of AF (with the adpater) and 2) it does not have IBIS. To me #2 is a killer when using long FL lenses. Unless you have other Zuiko lenses that will work properly with the adapter, I suggest you buy a non-electronic 4/3 to m4/3 adapter on eBay. It will work with the 40-150mm lens you have just the same as the electronic $114 adapter and cost you less than 1/2 the price.
    Tullio