The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

micro 4/3 goes Pro - Panasonic AG-AF100

gmoe

Hey folks!

I know most everybody loves their micro 4/3 camera as a still camera but it look like by the end of the year the m4/3 format has gone pro and will be used for professional video productions with the advent of the new Panasonic AG-AF100.

It looks hella ugly from the mock up but the specs are quite exciting.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=407080&modelNo=Content04082010101919040&surfModel=Content04082010101919040

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Professional video cameras never was designed to participate in beauty contests, so I guess we should forgive the somewhat utilitarian looks. The interesting part is that this brings the m43 mount into new territories, hopefully attracting more suppliers of interesting lenses and other gear. Hopefully, it also introduces a global shutter to m43, something that might trickle down to other cameras later.

Olympus, time to introduce that professional, water and bullet proof m43 body, don't you think? With a Fuji sensor?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It appears to just be an illustration.
Yes it is, and one can always hope for a prettier design, but the technical specifications seem to be more or less decided upon, and with release within this year, the development must have come rather far already.

It will be interesting to see how much of the technology will trickle down to a GH2.

gmoe

So the person at NAB was holding the camera (who knows if it was the real thing) you can see it here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=206752

And from this thread, Jan Crittenden answers people's questions pretty openly. She's part of the Panasonic Broadcast team. It's definitely the real deal. Interesting that it is the same sensor from the GH1, no real improvement from the sensor for this new camera but they seem to be on top of some of the known issues that plague the GH1 like aliasing.

In fact she states, "There will not be aliasing as we actually have a clue about what causes that and since we actually build video cameras, we can engineer in the resolution. so no aliasing."

That's a step in the right direction! Go Pany!

pellicle

I see ... interesting. Its actually a common gig in Japan for companies to use the home market to test an idea out.

Could be that Panasonic was really only testing the guts of a cam-corder out while getting funding for that research.

V

Vivek

Indeed.

CDAF lenses are great for shooting in IR though.:thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I can see it now: An IR feature movie, shot by Vivek on an AG-AF100 using C-mount lenses bought at flea markets all over Holland :D

V

Vivek

Hudson, Yup. Finally licked it. Everything can focus past infinity with that.:)

Joergen, We are talkn' about CDAF lenses and no flea market lenses or c-mount primes. C-mount lenses are in a class of their own. :lecture:;)

Although the Angenieux Type M2 25/0.95 in arri mount looks like it would make a good fit on the AG-AF100. This was a $5,000/- lens in the 70s. It cost me a Tegea Kinoptik 9.8/1.8 lens.