The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Oly firmware for E-P1/2 and E-PL1

J

jwestra

Thanks for the heads-up. This means I can just update before I go on a holiday. Better AF is always nice.

Tullio

Nothing has been said about the MF button, so I assume Oly did not make any changes in that department.

For some reason (don't know if I read it some where), I'm under the impression Oly, like Pana, is also restricting the usage of 3rd party batteries via F/W (last update?). Can any one confirm that? I have two spare 3rd party batteries for my EP1 and I don't want to trash them, having to spend another $40+ to buy new Oly replacement batt. Specially because I never felt AF was an issue with the Pana m4/3 lenses anyway.

Brian Mosley

Hi Tullio, where did you get that impression (about Oly restricting batteries to OEM type)?

Olympus - as with Panasonic shortly after the release of the G1, know about the need for better MF assist zoom selection. They've addressed the issue in the E-PL1, but we have yet to see whether they will update the E-P1/2

Cheers

Brian

Tullio

As I said, Brian, I'm not sure I read some where or I'm just totally mistaken, which is more like it. How is the MF assist implemented on the EPL1 vs. the EPn? Is it like the Gs/GF1 where once in MF assist zoom mode you can exit by simply half-pressing the shutter?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I have 2 3rd party batteries that I use all the time.
In fact they are 1500ma and last linger than the OEM.
No issues so far.

Rawfa

They've already released an AF firmware update a while ago that didn't do much. I wonder how much of an improvement this one will be. It's not a huge problem for my EP1, but I've already missed my share of photos and it would be nice to have this solved.

scho

I use the E-P2 primarily with MF lenses so AF speed is at the bottom of my priority list for firmware fixes. Number 1 on my list is fixing the manual focus assist issue that others have mentioned many times before.

Godfrey

I have 2 3rd party batteries that I use all the time.
In fact they are 1500ma and last linger than the OEM.
No issues so far.
BTW:

Third party batteries purchased from www.bestbatt.com are compatible with all levels of Panasonic firmware revisions. Available for the Panasonic G1/GH1/GF1 and presumably G2/G10.

I've been using the batteries sold by BestBatt.com in my L1 since 2007. Quality stuff, as good or better than the OEM batteries.