Site Sponsors

Thread: Micro four thirds teleconverter?

Post Thanks / Like

Micro four thirds teleconverter?

I know that there are teleconverters for four thirds, now I was wondering if there are micro four thirds teleconverters. It would be awesome to turn my 20mm f1.7 into a 80mm f1.7 (I don't know if the adapter loses any light).

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Micro four thirds teleconverter?

There are none as far as I know, but a 2x TC would transfer the 20mm f/1.7 into a 40mm f/3.4 or thereabout, and the combo would be as large as the excellent 45mm f/2.8 macro which has OIS and would be much, much sharper. You would save a couple of dimes though...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification.

Pascal

I thought for a 1.4x or 2x TC to work, your aperture had to be f4.0 (maybe it was f5.6) or bigger. Given MFT does not offer any lenses (such as the 14-140 or 45-200mm) with a large aperture, a TC may not work - atleast not provide AF.

Now if Olympus could provide us with a 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 or 300mm f4.0 mFT lens or maybe a 400mm f4.0 oe even a 200mm f2.8, a 1.4x TC or 2x TC would rock. However, I just don't see Olympus or Panasonic doing this.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The smaller the maximum aperture, the slower the AF. On Sigma lenses, AF is disabled if the lens/TC combination results in an aperture smaller than 5.6. With Nikkor lenses on Nikon camera and with Zuiko lenses on Olympus, AF will work on a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 with TC, but slowly.