The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My first m4/3 wedding

RonSmith

I've never shot a wedding professionally (which should be obvious as you scroll down), but I'm always asked to bring my camera to shoot candids. I stay out of the way of the pros and shoot whatever I choose.

My wife and I were in Key West, Florida, for the wedding of her cousin's son, and I brought only my GF1, along with the 20/1.7, 14-45, and a 50 Summicron. I shot the ceremony mostly with the 14-45 and decided that the PL 45 macro would have come in very handy. Interestingly, the two pro photographers, who were shooting Nikons, came up and asked me about my GF1.

Here are a few samples. More can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronssmith/sets/72157623759735981/.

Your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

biglouis

These are very nice photographs indeed. I would imagine the happy couple would be very pleased with any of these photographs.

I am also intrigued because a good friend of mine came to me today and asked me to photograph her low-key civil ceremony with her partner in July. She and her fiance have next to no money and are doing everything on the cheap. My services are of course for free.

I only have the GF1 and my Leica M8. The M8 is a fine landscape camera but even with my fast 35/1.4 it is still difficult to take good pictures indoors soconcerned so I am seriously thinking of using the GF1 as my main camera, with the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 lenses I own.

Do you have the electronic viewfinder and did you use flash?

Anyway, well done for showing how versatile the GF1 is.

LouisB

RonSmith

Thanks everyone.

Louis, I really enjoyed shooting the wedding with the GF1. I have shot previous weddings with my Canon 40D, and the size and weight present a significant impediment to my own enjoyment of the party. Shooting with the GF1 is much more like using a Leica rangefinder (which I had done for many years) as far as shooting candids of people.

I shot most of the ceremony with my 14-45, but for a couple shots I took with my 50 Summicron. As I said above, I think the 45/2.8 would have come in very handy.

Most of the indoor shots were taken with the 20/1.7, which is great. I used my Panasonic FL360 flash for a few shots, but actually used the GF1's onboard flash for most, and found it generally quite adequate.

I also had the EVF mounted (as long as I wasn't using the FL360) most of the time.

Good luck with your wedding shoot. I hope you have as good a time as I had in Key West.

biglouis

Thanks everyone.

Louis, I really enjoyed shooting the wedding with the GF1. I have shot previous weddings with my Canon 40D, and the size and weight present a significant impediment to my own enjoyment of the party. Shooting with the GF1 is much more like using a Leica rangefinder (which I had done for many years) as far as shooting candids of people.

I shot most of the ceremony with my 14-45, but for a couple shots I took with my 50 Summicron. As I said above, I think the 45/2.8 would have come in very handy.

Most of the indoor shots were taken with the 20/1.7, which is great. I used my Panasonic FL360 flash for a few shots, but actually used the GF1's onboard flash for most, and found it generally quite adequate.

I also had the EVF mounted (as long as I wasn't using the FL360) most of the time.

Good luck with your wedding shoot. I hope you have as good a time as I had in Key West.
Ron, thanks for the tips, very helpful indeed. Will have to investigate the FL360 although as a Leica owner I prefer working in natural light, even if it is very low light!

Once again, I really do think that these are more than just 'snapshots' and that they stand alone as very good results equal probably to that of the professionals shooting the event.

LouisB