The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware for Panny Gs

Diane B

There is new firmware announced for May 10 for G1, GH1, and GF1 (so we can assume the new bodies will come shortly after that). Said it would improve AF on third party lenses and new 14-42. I wonder if there is a chance the one click for MF lenses could be added for G1 and GH1??

Diane B

I hadn't heard of any of the G1s having lug problems. I thought it was primarily the GH1. I guess I haven't had any problem because I use a wrist strap--and only for safety, not carrying it by it. Surely, having had a lot of them come through for repair they have changed their build in terms of the lugs. I wonder if the new bodies will have lugs more similar to the GF1's.

Diane

V

Vivek

Are there any "3rd party" lenses that will do AF with a G1?

"Improving the AF" seems to imply tweaking the contrast....

PS: Even without any lens attached, if the G1 is hung with a strap, it will break, eventually, from its own weight. The construction is such that it should not be used with a strap. None of my G1s broke because I do not use any straps.

kainekainekaine

Does this apply to a GH1 too? Whats the best way to use these cameras long term? Keep them in a photography bag and take shots as needed? How strong is the tripod mount for something like a black rapid strap? Is one lugg stronger than the other? How does everyone on this forum store and use there Kits when there out and about? Cheers

PS: Even without any lens attached, if the G1 is hung with a strap, it will break, eventually, from its own weight. The construction is such that it should not be used with a strap. None of my G1s broke because I do not use any straps.

Diane B

I've always carried my cameras by wrist straps and grips--including my 5D and other DSLRs. Years ago I carried one camera with a neck strap for a day while walking. I swore then never again. If I want further security (near water, hiking) I add an Optech strap across my body but still hold the camera by the grip and in the case of a large DSLR, with a wrist strap (meaning the E1 for the Canon).

For my G1--I simply carry it by the grip with a wrist strap on for safety, but never carry it BY the strap (Its a small Optech strap. I may stick it in a bag until needed if carrying for a whole day--because I carry more than one lens.

With the GF1 I have carried it by a neck strap with the 20--and it has different lugs (and I use a 1/2 case and the Optech Classic removable neck strap). Its small enough and I use it for a different purpose (more casual shooting) plus with the 20 it is well balanced when carrying by neck strap or across the body strap (even over shoulder). With any other lens I generally stick it in a bag since I would probably have a second lens along with it (though I've been known to stick a lens in a pocket).

Diane .

JBurnett

Arrggh -- you guys are giving me anxiety attacks. I've been using my G1 on the Y-Strap, which I've come to like very much. I have the camera in a bag until I begin to shoot, then my usual style is having it out and ready while I move about the local area. Often it seems that I need both hands free when doing this (e.g. climbing up rocks or a slope while hiking), and putting the camera back in the bag each time gets tiresome. The Y-strap seems to work well for this but, of course, the camera hangs from a single lug.

I'm still rethinking this. It seems like I might be a candidate for some kind of holster, but I'm not sure I see a really great solution. (My tripod QR plate is almost always attached BTW). One company I ran across has a custom solution for a variety of cameras, including the G1 and GH1. I wouldn't mind the expense if I thought it was the perfect solution, but I'm loathe to part with so much money to "try it". Plus, it wouldn't eliminate the need for a bag.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the link:

http://www.skytoptrading.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccsWPmsHkxc

Diane B

Arrggh -- you guys are giving me anxiety attacks. I've been using my G1 on the Y-Strap, which I've come to like very much. I have the camera in a bag until I begin to shoot, then my usual style is having it out and ready while I move about the local area. Often it seems that I need both hands free when doing this (e.g. climbing up rocks or a slope while hiking), and putting the camera back in the bag each time gets tiresome. The Y-strap seems to work well for this but, of course, the camera hangs from a single lug.

I'm still rethinking this. It seems like I might be a candidate for some kind of holster, but I'm not sure I see a really great solution. (My tripod QR plate is almost always attached BTW). One company I ran across has a custom solution for a variety of cameras, including the G1 and GH1. I wouldn't mind the expense if I thought it was the perfect solution, but I'm loathe to part with so much money to "try it". Plus, it wouldn't eliminate the need for a bag.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the link:

http://www.skytoptrading.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccsWPmsHkxc
John, I have the Y strap too, but admit I haven't used it with the G1, only the GF1. It seems a good way to carry it, just haven't done it as I seem to always have a small bag and/or use the grip w/safety wrist strap. I just haven't heard of anyone else having an issue with the G1--it had seemed to me that the problems were primarily with a batch of GH1's---but I don't read all the forums or even all the threads on the forums I read LOL.

I agree--hate to spend the money to 'try' something :D

Lisa

Diane et al - What kind of wrist strap do you use with your GH1? I recently got a GH1, and now you've all got me worried. I don't use the shoulder strap much (mostly it's either in the bag or in my hand), but I would hate to have the camera drop & break one of the occasional times that I have it supported by the strap. A wrist strap would be helpful. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Lisa

wjlapier

Firmware to straps--typical internet forum sidetracks :ROTFL:

I use only a wriststrap on my GF1. When walking around Seattle zoo I had the 14-140 mounted. I'd hold the lens like a can of your favorite beverage with the body on top--if you can imagine how it looks. 7-14 and 20 in a bag bandolier style. Cannon Beach with the 7-14 mounted--held the same way as the 14-140. 20 mounted--body and lens cradles in my hand while strap on wrist.

wjlapier

Diane et al - What kind of wrist strap do you use with your GH1? I recently got a GH1, and now you've all got me worried. I don't use the shoulder strap much (mostly it's either in the bag or in my hand), but I would hate to have the camera drop & break one of the occasional times that I have it supported by the strap. A wrist strap would be helpful. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
Lisa
The strap I use is from Luigi. It would work well with the GH1.

Tullio

A good (and reasonable) strap is the one for the Nintendo Wii remote. It works well on my EP1 and I imagine it will work well on the G1 as well (I have the G1 on a neck strap because I find it a bit too big to have it hung on my wrist).

MRfanny

A good (and reasonable) strap is the one for the Nintendo Wii remote. It works well on my EP1 and I imagine it will work well on the G1 as well (I have the G1 on a neck strap because I find it a bit too big to have it hung on my wrist).
The Wii strap works well for me too and it comes in a nice array of colours:) I carry my camera as a coke can too. have never trusted those lugs from the get go.

I hope the GH1 firmware fixes up the fixed pattern noise us GH1 owners get compared to you G1 owners.

Last edited:

kainekainekaine

The Gordy straps look great and pricing is reasonable for worldwide buyers. Has anyone tried them with G1/GH1? The shoulder strap looks like it would suit my style of shooting and connects via the tripod mount instead of the lugs so they would not break my GH1. Just worried that when walking about the tripod connector might work its way loose. I also use a wii strap on my GH1 and hold it like a coke can, just seemed the natural way to carry it after a while.

Lisa

Thanks for the wrist strap suggestions. I'll look into it. (Sorry to have taken the thread into another direction... :eek: )

Lisa

Diane B

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa, I tend to carry the G1 by grip and use (I think) an old Optech strap I've had. It is some sort of soft foam with a quick release at the top. I just stick it on over my wrist--as a 'just in case'--it WILL hold the camera in an emergency, but that's all I use it for. I have a leather one--pretty, but not as comfortable Its a red Gordy's). I used it for the same purpose--and I used it with the GF1 until I got the Optech Classic neckstrap (which also has unconnects that allows it to be just a short strap--I tend to wrap this around my wrist). If I put larger than 20 on the GF1 I think I use the same technique as wjlapier--carrying it by lens sort of upside down with the Optech strap wrapped around wrist.

Not much to say about firmware until it comes out anyhow LOL.

Diane

bensonga

I wonder if there is a chance the one click for MF lenses could be added for G1 and GH1??
Ok, it's May 10th....has anyone updated their G1/GH1 with the new firmware to see if it includes one click for MF lenses? That is the ONE feature which would make my G1 perfect! :)

I'm still trying to find the site for updating the firmware.

Gary