The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

need recommendation for m42 adapter manufacturer

gmoe

So I've been slowly making my way from c-mount to m42 lenses and wanted to get a sense of what were the best manufacturers or ebay stores for purchasing m42 adapters.

Rainbow imaging in New York sells the adapter for a little under $30 bucks while the Kipon adapter is more expensive. I've purchased a few things over at Fotodiox and saw their adapter too.

So far picked up a Flektogon and a few Super Takumar lenses.

Any recommendations for the best mount for these lenses would be helpful.

Thanks!

R

rachp

I have one of the cheaper Fotodiox and it works fine. I have a new m42 lens coming tomorrow and I am soooo excited to get it on the GH-1! Such great selections in m42 :)

gmoe

That's good to know. I know with c-mounts Hawkpeng and RJ Camera work well for me so I was just checking to see what people's impressions were to make sure I don't get a cheap one and find out its really cheap.

Yes, M42 lenses seem like a bargain to me. I've kinda had to stop my c-mount hunting because prices were getting too far up there and looking forward to finding some nice lenses in this format.

apicius9

Replacing one madness with another, Gary? ;) I'm in the same boat, though. Selling off some c-mounts and just keeping the ones I can't let go, yet.

In M42 I also have the rainbowimage adapter and have no issues with it. Not too many M42 lenses, yet, I really want to hold back a little (sigh...). But I have been reading a lot over on mflenses.com, and the possibilities of relatively cheap M42 lenses seem endless. I picked up a few older Zeiss lenses and especially like the 135/4 even if that is not the highest one on the list. The Helios 44 is also a fun(ky) and very affordable lens. If I weren't done buying, I would also look into the Takumars...

Stefan

J

jwestra

I bought the cheapest I could find on ebay and it is fine.

I do not really like that the adapter is so big (always, because of the large difference in sensor distance). And that there is now button or switch to open the aperture for focussing (like on my canon FD adapter).

Michiel Schierbeek

You could also have a look at Meyer lenses. The Zeiss 135/3.5 is a very nice lens.
Zeiss Biotar and Pancolar lenses. Jupiter-9 85/2. There are also some nice Schneider lenses in M42 mount.

Michiel

apicius9

You could also have a look at Meyer lenses. The Zeiss 135/3.5 is a very nice lens.
Zeiss Biotar and Pancolar lenses. Jupiter-9 85/2. There are also some nice Schneider lenses in M42 mount.

Michiel
Thanks, I sometimes hear a Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9 calling my name but have resisted so far. Same with the 135/3.5 Sonnar. Thought about a Pancolar 50 but went with the Planar 50 C/Y instead. I have the Jupiter-9 in the M39 version and half a dozen Schneiders in c-mount, so I'm well covered there. It's a disease...

Stefan

pcb_dpi

I'm seeing two basic types of M42 adapters in the inexpensive category. Base model is machined from a single piece of aluminum, higher-spec model has a machined/threaded steel insert on the lens side. The aluminum threads will theoretically wear faster and cross-thread easier; I'm not sure if it matters much in actual use.

I bought a steel-insert M42 adapter on ebay this morning from seller opticparadise, for $34 incl. USA shipping. Haven't bought from them before, hoping actual item matches photo.

Some high-end, high-price adapters for bayonet-mount lenses have steel on both ends (yes for Voigtlander adapters, no for Rayqual). I didn't find any dual-steel adapters for M42, but I didn't look too hard.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks, I sometimes hear a Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9 calling my name but have resisted so far. Same with the 135/3.5 Sonnar. Thought about a Pancolar 50 but went with the Planar 50 C/Y instead. I have the Jupiter-9 in the M39 version and half a dozen Schneiders in c-mount, so I'm well covered there. It's a disease...

Stefan
Planar instead? While you could have them both?

Yes, and it is almost contagious. :ROTFL:

Michiel

R

rachp

I have the 135/3.5 and really enjoy using it! I have been looking for Pancolars but haven't had any luck :( Yep, contagiuos....

gmoe

Replacing one madness with another, Gary? I'm in the same boat, though. Selling off some c-mounts and just keeping the ones I can't let go, yet.
LOL I know Stefan! I know.. I know..

I haven't even tested all my c-mounts and I'm buying M42 lenses. (sigh.)

I guess I'll pick myself up a few of the cheapo M42 adapters from rainbow image since it sounds like you and perhaps others have not had any issues with the inexpensive adapters.

I have my 50mm Takumar 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 coming in this week. I've heard the 28mm Tak is good but at f/3.5 it seems a little slow. Any recommendations?

R

rachp

I did have an issue with a Rainbow image adapter for Canon. I don't know what was wrong but nothing was in focus - ever... I didn't get a chance to return it so I bought an RJ.

Klif570

I bought the cheapest I could find on ebay and it is fine.

I do not really like that the adapter is so big (always, because of the large difference in sensor distance). And that there is now button or switch to open the aperture for focussing (like on my canon FD adapter).
Hi, just joined and quite like the forum so far :) Anyway, how do you find those cheapo adapters you get on Ebay? I've read they focus pass the infinity. And only genuine Panasonic to Leica M and R adapters ($199, £199 respectivelly) are spot on and lock on to infinity..