The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix G1 with FD Tilt adapter

Diane B

Jerry, could you give a little more information. I haven't checked the site of the Italian mfg. that was making these, but last I looked there were no FD adaptors (which is what I want). Who is the mfg and where did you purchase it (assuming probably you bought it directly).

Using tilt, I find that it takes very little. There is quite a bit of information on the net about using tilt. I find it easiest to start with the lens in 0 position and then tilt towards the subject (and when I use my EF 45 f/2.8 TS on the G1, the MF assist is just wonderful as opposed to trying to do MF on the 5D--even with an anglefinder C). The more wide open the lens, the larger the area of OOF around the wedge of focus of which the point of that wedge is closest to you. I usually focus after I tilt, moving the focus area around.

Two questions Jerry--can you 'lock' the tilt once you get what you want so the lens can't move from that position??-- and I'm curious what lenses you have tried with it.

Diane

Diane B

Thanks for that Pat. I didn't know Hartblei had mfg any m4/3rds mount Tilt adaptors. I had looked at Hartblei TS lenses back when I bought my EF. But---this adaptor only fits the Russian lens so still looking.

JerryMK

Jerry, could you give a little more information. I haven't checked the site of the Italian mfg. that was making these, but last I looked there were no FD adaptors (which is what I want). Who is the mfg and where did you purchase it (assuming probably you bought it directly).

Using tilt, I find that it takes very little. There is quite a bit of information on the net about using tilt. I find it easiest to start with the lens in 0 position and then tilt towards the subject (and when I use my EF 45 f/2.8 TS on the G1, the MF assist is just wonderful as opposed to trying to do MF on the 5D--even with an anglefinder C). The more wide open the lens, the larger the area of OOF around the wedge of focus of which the point of that wedge is closest to you. I usually focus after I tilt, moving the focus area around.

Two questions Jerry--can you 'lock' the tilt once you get what you want so the lens can't move from that position??-- and I'm curious what lenses you have tried with it.

Diane
Hi Diane,

I bought the adapter from Adriano Lolli (Italy). I just asked him to buildt me a FD one. Problem was he could not guarantee infinity focus. But I took the chance cause it was not that important to me. Using it now it does reach infinity focus as long as the diafragm is not wide open.

You questions: Yes you can lock the tilt quite easy by moving a handle locking it down. And due to lack of time I only tried it with my tokina 90mm. But I will also try my:

- FD 28mm f2.8
- FD 50mm f1.4
- FL 58mm f1.2
- FD 300mm f4 (sounds like fun already)

Thank you for you info on Tilt shooting.

Jerry

Diane B

Thanks Jerry. I may try corresponding with him. I speak NO Italian LOL.

Your answer was very helpful and I'll keep watching to see your results. I have a 24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.0, 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and 135 f/2.8 so lots to play with.

scho

Thanks Jerry. I may try corresponding with him. I speak NO Italian LOL.

Your answer was very helpful and I'll keep watching to see your results. I have a 24 f/2.8, 28 f/2.0, 35 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and 135 f/2.8 so lots to play with.
Diane, Have you inquired recently about RJ's tilt adapter for FD to m43? Last time I asked him about it back in January he told me couple of weeks it would be ready. I've had no further response and haven't seen it on his ebay store so I guess it is not happening.

Diane B

Diane, Have you inquired recently about RJ's tilt adapter for FD to m43? Last time I asked him about it back in January he told me couple of weeks it would be ready. I've had no further response and haven't seen it on his ebay store so I guess it is not happening.
I haven't Carl. I actually don't think I got a reply when I asked but remember that Vivek (or perhaps it was you) had said--'a couple of weeks'. I'm in no hurry but would like one I think for my FDs since those are mostly what I have and I don't think I'll add any more legacy lenses at this point.

But---thanks for the reminder and I'll try asking again.

Diane

D

Don Neyhard

Good Afternoon Diane--

Have you tried the Fotodiox site? They show an FD-4/3 tilt-shift adapter that will infinity focus and is listed at $149.95. I am considering their EOS-4/3 adapter myself.

Don

D

Don Neyhard

Diane--
I stand corrected about the tilt function--only shift is offered--after reading some feedback. Sorry, I guess that excitement overcame me.
Don

Diane B

Thanks Don. I would still be interested in a tilt adapter for FD so that's still a good tip and I'll try them. I was unaware that they had one. I have an RJ/jinfinance EOS to m4/3rds adapter--bought it mainly to use with EF 45 TS but have tried with other EF lenses--and they are fine.

I'll check Fotodiox out--would be nice for T/S, but..... Thanks again.

Whoops--now I misread LOL--its SHIFT only. Well for something like $300 one could have both tilt and shift, altho' not in one adapter. Still--that's a pretty decent deal overall as T/S lenses are pricey, even a used FD and an adapter would give me that ability with my 5 FD lenses--maybe shift or tilt might be somewhat limited compared to a dedicated lens, but probably still worthwhile.

Diane

V

Vivek

I haven't Carl. I actually don't think I got a reply when I asked but remember that Vivek (or perhaps it was you) had said--'a couple of weeks'. I'm in no hurry but would like one I think for my FDs since those are mostly what I have and I don't think I'll add any more legacy lenses at this point.

Diane
Not me Diane. It was Pellicle who has been egging RJ on the tilt adapter.

One thing I would add to Jerry (same what I said to Doug who has the Nikon tilt adapter) is that I find 18mm to be the most useful FL for tilting on an m4/3rds cam.

With the Samsung NX10 (APS-C), I can go to 28mm with ease and longer FLs for close ups.

Diane B

I do remember it was Pellicle now.

Yes, 18mm would be nice. My widest FD is 24 but I could probably live with that for tilt as I like my EF 45 a lot on my 5D--in fact decided that over the 24 when I bought it.

JerryMK

One thing I would add to Jerry (same what I said to Doug who has the Nikon tilt adapter) is that I find 18mm to be the most useful FL for tilting on an m4/3rds cam.
Thanks for the tip Vivek, appreciate it. I will see if there is an 18mm to grab somewhere for a fair price :)

scho

Diane
Just received a reply from RJ concerning the tilt adapter:

"Hi Carl,

thanks for the message... it turns out the FD to m43 adapter does not have enough room to make it tilt version... sorry... I am now only making the Nikon and EOS to m43 tilt adapters...

best,

R.J."

johneaton

Hello Diane. For the record I got a m43 to R tilt adapter from Adriano Lolli -- on his web-site he has a general product code for m43 tilt adapters, then in the comment box you say what mount you want it for (eg FD, R, or whatever) -- then pay via paypal -- and in my case the adapter arrived in just over 2 weeks -- works fine!! Good luck, John.

pellicle

in between moving in to Australia ...

Not me Diane. It was Pellicle who has been egging RJ on the tilt adapter.
indeed that was me ... and I am thinking that I'm sick of the promises and will just be buying the Italian one ...

but for now, my G1 has run out of battery and the charger seems to be in a box en-route from Finland

arghhh

:)

pellicle

Jerry

Received my Tilt adapter today... works like charm. Now I only need some practice to learn to use Tilt focus. Any tips welcome!
nice work ... thanks for the information on that adaptor!

WRT tilt operation, I don't have that adaptor (yet) but looking at where the hinge is I would suggest that you operate it by more or less moving the camera and not the lens. Hold the lens pointing at the subject and tilt the camera.

For instance, if looking down at the ground (say flower field, up close -> to horizon; landscape orientation): focus on middle ground and then tilt the camera so that the hotshoe moves towards you and the base away. This should bring the entire scene into focus even at f2.8

now, easy does it with the tilts and you may need to refocus slightly each application of tilt.

try reading this:

of particular interest is that if you move the Image Plane (IP in that diagram) the Object Plane becomes oblique (not just parallel lines). In this diagram the film plane is tilted (camera back) and the lens remains constant:

Anyway, it all sounds way more complex to describe than it does to use. Try writing directions for a blind person to make coffee in your house (include locations of all items).

Essentially this enables you to get focus plane control such as this:

note middle ground snow out of the plane but further back as the "focal wedge" widens the grasses become focused

:)