The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice needed on new purchase

Klif570

I think I pinned myself into a corner here.. I'm getting the G1 in the next couple of days, but I just read about corner softness/smudging problems with some Leica lenses, wideangle expecially, and this sort of puts me off.

Now, I was going to use the kit lens for wide angle shots anyway so it shouldn't be a big problem. However I'm not sure how the 60mm Elmarit-R, 50mm and 90mm Summicrons (R as well) would perform. Since they are all telephotos I guess I should be OK, but could anyone please share their experiences with Leica R lenses?

Also another thing I'd like to ask, are there any manual lenses that work flawlessly on micro 4/3rds bodies? I'm considering Contax, M42, maybe Canon FD or Minolta.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Jonas

(...)
Now, I was going to use the kit lens for wide angle shots anyway so it shouldn't be a big problem. However I'm not sure how the 60mm Elmarit-R, 50mm and 90mm Summicrons (R as well) would perform. Since they are all telephotos I guess I should be OK, but could anyone please share their experiences with Leica R lenses?

Also another thing I'd like to ask, are there any manual lenses that work flawlessly on micro 4/3rds bodies? I'm considering Contax, M42, maybe Canon FD or Minolta.

I have owned and used the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Macro with the G1. It works wonderfully. So did my 90CronAA.

Contax... works fine (assuming Zeiss C/Y mount lenses) for longer focal lengths, as does all the other brands you mention. This is not about what brand you try but about the size and distance of the exit pupil of the lens. You have to check for each lens you are interested in.

regards,

/Jonas

Leica 77

(...) but could anyone please share their experiences with Leica R lenses?

My experiences with Leica R lenses have been most pleasing. Here are just a few examples from last year.

E330 + Leica R Summicron 50mm.

G1 + Leica R Elmarit 19mm. Frame Ratio: 16:9.

Good luck with all your digital imaging endeavors. Leica 77. :)

Klif570

I have owned and used the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Macro with the G1. It works wonderfully. So did my 90CronAA.

Contax... works fine (assuming Zeiss C/Y mount lenses) for longer focal lengths, as does all the other brands you mention. This is not about what brand you try but about the size and distance of the exit pupil of the lens. You have to check for each lens you are interested in.

regards,

/Jonas
Thanks, Jonas. The 60mm Macro is on top of my list, and it's great to hear it works well on the G1. What adapter do you use with your Leica R lenses? And does it have any play at all? I reckon I will have to get one pretty soon..getting the lens first though

Klif570

Leica 77 and Streetshooter, thanks for your imput. Great shots, I especially like the 19mm Elmarit one. Guess the crop ratio here helps to avoid soft corners with extreme wide angles.

Leica 77

Leica 77 and Streetshooter, thanks for your imput. Great shots, I especially like the 19mm Elmarit one. Guess the crop ratio here helps to avoid soft corners with extreme wide angles.
One of my favorite Leica R lenses is the 28mm Elmarit. Here is an example. :)

E300 + Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit R 28mm. "Nikon SP".

Jonas

Thanks, Jonas. The 60mm Macro is on top of my list, and it's great to hear it works well on the G1. What adapter do you use with your Leica R lenses? And does it have any play at all? I reckon I will have to get one pretty soon..getting the lens first though
I used those lenses for a short period only, at the end of 2008. That was when the G1 was new so the only adapter solution available was to use the Panasonic 4/3->µ4/3 adapter together with a R-mount-->4/3 adapter. I had no problems with that combo.

Now it seems like a better idea to buy an R->µ4/3 adapter of course but I don't know about the different brands.

regards,

/Jonas

Klif570

One of my favorite Leica R lenses is the 28mm Elmarit. Here is an example. :)

E300 + Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit R 28mm. "Nikon SP".

Indeed the 28mm Elmarit is a top performer. If I'm right it's optically much better than the 24mm Elmarit, yet the latter fetches higher prices.

I'm now after the 60mm Macro; been considering the 90mm Summicron as well, but I think the Macro is more versatile, and it's good for portraits too. Can't wait to get it! And once I do I'll upload some photos as well :)

Klif570

I used those lenses for a short period only, at the end of 2008. That was when the G1 was new so the only adapter solution available was to use the Panasonic 4/3->µ4/3 adapter together with a R-mount-->4/3 adapter. I had no problems with that combo.

Now it seems like a better idea to buy an R->µ4/3 adapter of course but I don't know about the different brands.

regards,

/Jonas
Thanks for your reply. I'm tempted to get a cheap one on Ebay (well some aren't that cheap) and see how it works. I've read though that some people had to send their adpaters back due to infinity focus issues..not cool, but the genuine Panasonic one costs half the price of the 60mm Macro here in the UK!