Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Advice needed on new purchase

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Advice needed on new purchase

    I think I pinned myself into a corner here.. I'm getting the G1 in the next couple of days, but I just read about corner softness/smudging problems with some Leica lenses, wideangle expecially, and this sort of puts me off.

    Now, I was going to use the kit lens for wide angle shots anyway so it shouldn't be a big problem. However I'm not sure how the 60mm Elmarit-R, 50mm and 90mm Summicrons (R as well) would perform. Since they are all telephotos I guess I should be OK, but could anyone please share their experiences with Leica R lenses?

    Also another thing I'd like to ask, are there any manual lenses that work flawlessly on micro 4/3rds bodies? I'm considering Contax, M42, maybe Canon FD or Minolta.

    Thank you
    Last edited by Klif570; 1st May 2010 at 16:33.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Klif570 View Post
    (...)
    Now, I was going to use the kit lens for wide angle shots anyway so it shouldn't be a big problem. However I'm not sure how the 60mm Elmarit-R, 50mm and 90mm Summicrons (R as well) would perform. Since they are all telephotos I guess I should be OK, but could anyone please share their experiences with Leica R lenses?

    Also another thing I'd like to ask, are there any manual lenses that work flawlessly on micro 4/3rds bodies? I'm considering Contax, M42, maybe Canon FD or Minolta.

    Thank you
    I have owned and used the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Macro with the G1. It works wonderfully. So did my 90CronAA.

    Contax... works fine (assuming Zeiss C/Y mount lenses) for longer focal lengths, as does all the other brands you mention. This is not about what brand you try but about the size and distance of the exit pupil of the lens. You have to check for each lens you are interested in.

    regards,

    /Jonas

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    45

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Klif570 View Post
    (...) but could anyone please share their experiences with Leica R lenses?

    Thank you
    My experiences with Leica R lenses have been most pleasing. Here are just a few examples from last year.

    E330 + Leica R Summicron 50mm.




    G1 + Leica R Elmarit 19mm. Frame Ratio: 16:9.



    Good luck with all your digital imaging endeavors. Leica 77.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    The Konica Hexanons work great. I use the 40mm 1.8 and the 57 1.4 regularly.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I have owned and used the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Macro with the G1. It works wonderfully. So did my 90CronAA.

    Contax... works fine (assuming Zeiss C/Y mount lenses) for longer focal lengths, as does all the other brands you mention. This is not about what brand you try but about the size and distance of the exit pupil of the lens. You have to check for each lens you are interested in.

    regards,

    /Jonas
    Thanks, Jonas. The 60mm Macro is on top of my list, and it's great to hear it works well on the G1. What adapter do you use with your Leica R lenses? And does it have any play at all? I reckon I will have to get one pretty soon..getting the lens first though

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Leica 77 and Streetshooter, thanks for your imput. Great shots, I especially like the 19mm Elmarit one. Guess the crop ratio here helps to avoid soft corners with extreme wide angles.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    45

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Klif570 View Post
    Leica 77 and Streetshooter, thanks for your imput. Great shots, I especially like the 19mm Elmarit one. Guess the crop ratio here helps to avoid soft corners with extreme wide angles.
    One of my favorite Leica R lenses is the 28mm Elmarit. Here is an example.

    E300 + Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit R 28mm. "Nikon SP".


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Klif570 View Post
    Thanks, Jonas. The 60mm Macro is on top of my list, and it's great to hear it works well on the G1. What adapter do you use with your Leica R lenses? And does it have any play at all? I reckon I will have to get one pretty soon..getting the lens first though
    I used those lenses for a short period only, at the end of 2008. That was when the G1 was new so the only adapter solution available was to use the Panasonic 4/3->4/3 adapter together with a R-mount-->4/3 adapter. I had no problems with that combo.

    Now it seems like a better idea to buy an R->4/3 adapter of course but I don't know about the different brands.

    regards,

    /Jonas

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post
    One of my favorite Leica R lenses is the 28mm Elmarit. Here is an example.

    E300 + Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit R 28mm. "Nikon SP".

    Indeed the 28mm Elmarit is a top performer. If I'm right it's optically much better than the 24mm Elmarit, yet the latter fetches higher prices.

    I'm now after the 60mm Macro; been considering the 90mm Summicron as well, but I think the Macro is more versatile, and it's good for portraits too. Can't wait to get it! And once I do I'll upload some photos as well

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Advice needed on new purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I used those lenses for a short period only, at the end of 2008. That was when the G1 was new so the only adapter solution available was to use the Panasonic 4/3->4/3 adapter together with a R-mount-->4/3 adapter. I had no problems with that combo.

    Now it seems like a better idea to buy an R->4/3 adapter of course but I don't know about the different brands.

    regards,

    /Jonas
    Thanks for your reply. I'm tempted to get a cheap one on Ebay (well some aren't that cheap) and see how it works. I've read though that some people had to send their adpaters back due to infinity focus issues..not cool, but the genuine Panasonic one costs half the price of the 60mm Macro here in the UK!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •