The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

On assignment: wide open

photoSmart42

I've been wanting to start a few topical threads for some time, so I'm finally getting around to it. This one is all about shooting your lenses at their maximum aperture, so let's see those big wide open irises =).

Here's some I shot this morning:

Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL 55/1.2 @ f/1.2; 1/800s @ ISO160

Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL 55/1.2 @ f/1.2; 1/640s @ ISO160

Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL 55/1.2 @ f/1.2; 1/640s @ ISO160

Feedback always welcome. Can't wait to see yours =).

Cheers!

Jonas

OK Dragos, here is one:

G1, Zuiko Pen FT 42/1.2 @f/1.2

Not for any artistic reason or for beauty, nor for any special effect or shallow DOF, but instead just out of necessity. I don't want to go over ISO800 with the G1 and longer than 1/125 is a given failure. So, open up.

Mattis, the guy in the image, at a Poetry Slam performance in Gothenburg. The event was held at a coffe shop with a stage about 0.15m high and I was late at the show and had to stand in a far corner. The image is cropped, heavily, and B&W as the light was a couple of halogen bulbs with yellow gel on them. Lol.

It's not always one seek for wide open.

Cheers,

/Jonas

Jonas

...and to balance the ugliness in the post above post another Pen 42/1.2 image, also taken wide open and also from a distance (cropped down a third or so of the original image):

I wish I could have been closer when taking it, but wth, it wasn't exactly an important image. The Pen 42/1.2 came back from service and I had a walk aiming it randomly at things I saw.

/Jonas

biglouis

Dragos

This is an interesting thread because the other day I decided to go out and test my Lumix 20/1.7 at wide open apertures. My reason for doing this is that I have felt since acquiring the lens that it has a signature close to that of a Leica Summicron (f2.0), although its maximum aperture is perhaps closer to that of a Leica Summilux (f1.4). We all know that Panasonic and Leica have been in a commercial collaboration seeing Leica branded lenses on Panasonic cameras. It is surprising that Panasonic did not repeat this with their m4/3rds lenses as it could have been (and could still be) the USP which gives them a competitive advantage in the market place.

The first shot is not a m4/3rds one but an exemplar of the 'leica' glow that appears at wide apertures with the Summilux. It is one of my favourite Cherry Blossom shots, with a dreamy look to it. This was shot with my 35/1.4 ASPH on a now dear-departed Epson R-D1 (oh why, oh why did I sell it?) wide open at iso 200.

With this shot in mind, and as it is the Cherry Blossom season again where I live, I sought out the exact same tree and armed with my G-F1 and Lumix 20/1.7 decided to have a go at creating something to compare with the orignal shot. This is the result, at iso160 and f1.7:

I did post this elsewhere in the forum but I think it is interesting to have it here again for comparison purposes.

It is a matter of taste but it is hard to top the Summilux shot. On the other hand the Lumix 20/1.7 is imho very lovely and has many of the features of a wide open Leica lens. For one, the draw of light is very similar between the two lenses, especially the colouration of the subject. Secondly, both have a sharp plane of focus, smoothly transitioning to a softer surrounding area in front and behind and from there to a smooth out of focus area.

There is still something intangible to me in the Summilux shot which may be more to circumstances than the quality of the lens. On the other hand it is hard not to get pleasure from a lens like the 20/1.7 which can create such a pleasing result for approximately one-tenth the cost of its 35mm competitor. And on top of that, I see no need to try and capture the same images with the 35/1.4 mounted via a bayoner adapter. The result of the Lumix 20/1.7 is certainly good enough for many purposes.

I hope you find my musings and comparison of interest. Your examples are very good indeed.

LouisB

photoSmart42

I hope you find my musings and comparison of interest. Your examples are very good indeed.

LouisB
Thank you, Louis! Love your shots as well. The Summilux is indeed very nice, but I'm very fond of the bokeh on the 20/1.7 as well. I'll have to take mine out for a wide-open spin soon.

Here's one of my own cherry blossoms I posted in the other thread, but since I took it wide open with my 55/1.2 it's applicable here as well =)

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Jack:

Forgot to mention that you don't need to modify these lenses to fit Pana and Oly 4/3 camera adapters.

Keith
Hi Keith,

I saw the lens on his site, but don't you need to buy the C mount as well?
I didn't see one on his site.

Mike

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hi Keith,

I saw the lens on his site, but don't you need to buy the C mount as well?
I didn't see one on his site.

Mike
Hi Mike:

Yes, you need a c-mount adapter. There are now dozens available on e-bay and the common thought on this forum is the cheapest ones are good enough (just google c-mount adapter micro 4/3). Here is one from e-bay for $19. They are very simple, so not much to go wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/C-mount-Lens-Micro-4-3-adapter-E-P1-E-P2-G1-GF1-GH1-/230457647288

Keith

mregnier

Senior Subscriber Member