Site Sponsors

Thread: First major (US) G2 review

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First major (US) G2 review

Imaging Resource has posted their G2 review....however it seems to be missing their pro and cons page (update the full front page is now available)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2A.HTM

A lot of people have been skeptical about the touch screen operation (including the reviewers). Here is a good video of it in action (midway down the page)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2A4.HTM

Best I can see is May/June US availability - which starts to get into the should I wait for Photokina timeframe.
    Last edited by Terry; 4th May 2010 at 20:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: First major (US) G2 review

I quite like the touch screen AF selection... nice example video.

Strange place to embed a plug for sensor cleaning kit though, 4/3rds and m4/3rds share particularly good sensor cleaning automation.

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like that they moved the SDHC card slot next to the battery as opposed to where it was on the G1/GH1 on the side. Can't change cards now without taking off any tripod mounts that may be attached to the bottom of the camera, or while the camera is on a tripod.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I see it, the NX10 has its OLED screen as the major attraction and the G2 its touch screen. Neither "features" do anything for the image quality.

The G1 is such a bargain, especially now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. From what I read it seems that the G2 isn't that much of an iprovement over the G1. In my opinion, not worth paying that much more for only slighly better ISO performance, and if you shoot RAW I reckon it won't make any difference. The video is nice though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    I really don't like that they moved the SDHC card slot next to the battery as opposed to where it was on the G1/GH1 on the side. Can't change cards now without taking off any tripod mounts that may be attached to the bottom of the camera, or while the camera is on a tripod.
    The Kirk PZ130 QR plate for the GF1 actually fits on all three bodies (G1, GH1, GF1) and it leaves the battery door unhindered on all models. Not quite as nice as the old SD position, but workable.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    The Kirk PZ130 QR plate for the GF1 actually fits on all three bodies (G1, GH1, GF1) and it leaves the battery door unhindered on all models. Not quite as nice as the old SD position, but workable.

Cheers,
    Sure, but that requires you to spend an additional $80 for the plate, $100+ for the ballhead to go with that, and another $150+ for a tripod that takes a ballhead. And while the plate itself may allow you to open the battery door, you still can't do that while the camera is attached to the tripod because the ballhead bracket extends beyond the plate, thus partially covering the battery door... No, thanks!
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but that requires you to spend an additional $80 for the plate, $100+ for the ballhead to go with that, and another $150+ for a tripod that takes a ballhead. And while the plate itself may allow you to open the battery door, you still can't do that while the camera is attached to the tripod because the ballhead bracket extends beyond the plate, thus partially covering the battery door... No, thanks!
    Dragos,

Mea culpu, you're right, that was not a reasonable assumption on my part. I was speaking from personal experience, having had all of those items.

For the amount of times during a shoot that I need to change a card, and therefore remove the camera from the tripod, since it is all quick-release, it is no real problem for me. With 8GB cards, I get over 300 RAW images. I don't know how many you burn through in a session but it seems pretty much a non-issue.

Ciao,

Post Thanks / Like

Completely OT, but can't manufacturers think of a more creative naming convention than Gx? I mean, we had Contax G1/2, Canon has had (and continues to have) an entire lineup of G-named cameras, and now Panasonic seems to feel the need to name their cameras in like fashion. Seriously annoying.

Off my soapbox now. Yes, I don't have a life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Completely OT, but can't manufacturers think of a more creative naming convention than Gx? I mean, we had Contax G1/2, Canon has had (and continues to have) an entire lineup of G-named cameras, and now Panasonic seems to feel the need to name their cameras in like fashion. Seriously annoying.

I don't find this annoying at all. Just curious, what would you name it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klif570 View Post
    How about "M3", or "M2", or "M9" or...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've already had a Contax G1, a Contax G2 and a Canon G2.. I wonder whether I should get the Panasonic G2 to complement my outfit

Anyone knows for what the G stands on these cameras ? for general ? like in "general purpose" ? or what else ? (not an expresso )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G stands for Gizmo.

BTW, Fuji also had their GX line of cams.

Post Thanks / Like

How about "M3", or "M2", or "M9" or...

That's highly creative, now give yaself a round of applause

Post Thanks / Like

That's highly creative, now give yaself a round of applause
    I broke my arm patting myself on the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I've already had a Contax G1, a Contax G2 and a Canon G2.. I wonder whether I should get the Panasonic G2 to complement my outfit
    Ah, I think you're onto something -- they do it for "completists"!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They could call it Jørgen and give one to me for free for having such a brilliant idea

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course I've been using tripods which take heads that have Arca-Swiss style QR clamps for about a decade and a half...

I use the Acratech plate on my G1. Presuming the G2 is the same, it's a simple matter to drop the battery door open and change batteries while on the tripod. The only thing I have to do is tilt the camera to the side a little if it's rotated on the head to where the control knobs interfere.

It is a little odd to me that they relocated the card slot next to the battery, but with an 8G card that's 550 .RW2 exposures right there, about the same as the number of exposures before power is exhausted. I don't need to change cards or batteries very often when using a tripod.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lumix Grande Uno
    Lumix Grande HD Uno
    Lumix Grande Fidelia Uno
    Lumix Grande Due
    Lumix Grande Zehn

... ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Lumix Grande Uno
    Lumix Grande HD Uno
    Lumix Grande Fidelia Uno
    Lumix Grande Due
    Lumix Grande Zehn

... ?
    I reckon these would be good for the Mexican market.. I especially like ''Lumix Grande Fidelia Uno'' a touch of Spanish, a touch of Italian.. Does it also play Cuatro Milpas when you switch it on?

Can I have a go now Lumix Grande Sergio Duo!

Post Thanks / Like

"but with an 8G card that's 550 .RW2 exposures right there, about the same as the number of exposures before power is exhausted. "

What a wise observation. Here I am thinking of swopping my 4 gigs for 16's. How much more logical to carry the same number of spare cards as batteries - and do both at the same time. By the way, what is the situation on using third party batteries on the G1 at the moment?

Tony

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    "but with an 8G card that's 550 .RW2 exposures right there, about the same as the number of exposures before power is exhausted. "
    What a wise observation. Here I am thinking of swopping my 4 gigs for 16's. How much more logical to carry the same number of spare cards as batteries - and do both at the same time. By the way, what is the situation on using third party batteries on the G1 at the moment?

Tony
    thanks. i plan to buy two more 8G cards, and I think one of them is going to be an Eye-Fi Pro card for wireless upload capability during a tabletop or portrait shoot.

BestBatt.com carries no-name batteries compatible with all G1 firmware revisions for [email protected]:
    http://www.bestbatt.com/Panasonic_DM..._p/bbblb13.htm

I've been using their batteries and chargers for my Panasonic L1 for years ... They work identically to the OEM batteries and have lasted just as long (I bought two of them almost literally two weeks after I bought the L1). Good stuff. need to get another batt for the G1 (have two OEM) and a spare charger ... I hate not having spares.

Post Thanks / Like

Reviewers seem to miss the most important new feature...an improved light well with better clearance for alternative lenses...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    Reviewers seem to miss the most important new feature...an improved light well with better clearance for alternative lenses...
    If it is there, it does not show with the new kitzzoom on it.

In the NX10 the shutter is much closer to the sensor plane.

Post Thanks / Like

W is a really bad naming letter. X and Z's are real "high tech" but now totally over used. What to do. ABC's remind us too much of school. How about "Code Blue," followed by a more advanced camera called "Code Opel" They could copy the wine houses and give up on American's trying to remember actual wine names. They've gone to things like, "Green Lizard" and "Your Mama's toes," and so forth. Helps everyone remember which wine they liked. Sounds crazy but I'm sure it's working well with the under 30 crowd. I want to buy a new "Blue Code" 64 megapixel Panasonic spy camera that takes Leica and Zeiss lenses.