Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Congratulations John, I will look forward to you real world report on the camera

Cheers

Brian
    I'll call it as I see it. I don't think this will be the be-all, end-all camera we all phantasize about and maybe m4/3s will improve if the newer sensor technologies migrate to the format but it all remains to be seen. So far all we have seen are JPGs and no RAW conversions so we still don't really know how good or bad the sensor is. if it is as good it appears to be from some of the JPGS then that will be the deciding factor on its success.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Hey, thanks Jono! I'll ask my wife if swapping out 12 years is acceptable.
    wife swapping what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes John, the lacklustre colour and dynamic range should be improvable when the camera gets raw support... but the user interface and challenge of lens quality to mount registration distance may prove to be a bigger hurdle.

Meanwhile, we have the Pen and the 20mm f1.7 - an awesome combination already, with a higher spec model to come... if it has a global shutter and no teething problems we'll be laughing

Cheers

Brian

raymondluo

Maybe the 100-300mm will be a constant f3.5 with no change to weight and size with the new competition, PHOAR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The zoom lenses are just far too bulky for the camera but the camera body itself is an amazing example of what you can do with a 'compact' camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB666 View Post
    The zoom lenses are just far too bulky for the camera but the camera body itself is an amazing example of what you can do with a 'compact' camera.
    Well, I quite agree with you about the camera body . . . . but if the lenses have to be so big, what's the point?
    Why not either go the full hog and have a full frame camera (that's what I'd like) or else take advantage of the smaller lenses in mft. It seems to me that whilst APS-c might be the sweet spot for a Dslr, it's hardly perfect for this kind of camera.

I've just been doing some A2+ prints from the EP2 with the 45 panalieca (which I can fit in my pocket). There are certainly theoretical advantages of a slightly larger sensor, but whilst I can get fantastic results with something that is otherwise so much more convenient and already has a long list of excellent and proven lenses . . . . .

And if you want maximum quality, well then the Sony ain't it either.

As for using M lenses - I've long since given up using anything less than 50mm (100mm equivalent), because the lack of angled micro-lenses means you don't get the best out of anything wider. The 90 f2.8M is fab on the EP2 though - a larger sensor is going to make the wide end problem worse, and the longer lenses less interesting.

Sexy though it may be, and if pixel peeping isn't more interesting than the photography, I just can't see it's advantage, at least, not yet.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The "theoretical advantages" of a larger sensor are wasted in the NX10 and the NEX3/5 by increasing the pixel count.

As Rich points out, it would have been better if Samsung/Sony/PanaOly etc had kept the pixel count marginally lower while trying to match up the performance (image quality- lower noise, higher DR) of an APS-C DSLR.

The camera body is not a big problem. I saw a medium format digital in action yesterday. I could hardly notice it was on top of a tall tripod. Barely enough room for tripod mount at the bottom. For an APS-C digital back with a built in shutter, the NEX3/5 are OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, as Vivek pointed out earlier, the m4/3 performance at the edges is partly due to the extra thick sensor toppings. We don't know how the NEX will behave, yet.

As far as size, the NEX prime is comparable in size to the m4/3 primes. It's the zooms that are big, but I can't imagine using a zoom on this kind of camera, anyways. I handled the EPL-1 with zoom the other day, and I was suprised how big it was. My as well just bring a DSLR if you're using zooms on these things, IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, as Vivek pointed out earlier, the m4/3 performance at the edges is partly due to the extra thick sensor toppings. We don't know how the NEX will behave, yet.
    Well, that's possible, certainly the Epson wasn't too bad at the corners . . . for sharpness, but the vignetting was pretty startling on anything wide.

As far as size, the NEX prime is comparable in size to the m4/3 primes. It's the zooms that are big, but I can't imagine using a zoom on this kind of camera, anyways. I handled the EPL-1 with zoom the other day, and I was suprised how big it was. My as well just bring a DSLR if you're using zooms on these things, IMO.
    Ah . . . and if you're going to use primes you may as well bring along the M9 .

I love the EP2, but, truth be told, 90% of it's use is with the 45 panaleica macro, a lens which is unlikely to be repeated on the Sony.
    Of course, my feelings relate largely to my own needs, the EP2 makes a good companion piece to either the M9 or the A900 - the Sony wouldn't really be particularly useful with either (for me of course).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The M9 haunts me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The M9 haunts me.
    WoooooWooooooh Wooooooooooh

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Argh, Jono! I've got some nice guitars sitting in a closet that I could sell to fund the M9, but I can't stomach selling sentimental guitars that hold their value for a digital camera, and I'd like to leave the guitars to my kids someday. I technically have the money buy the dang M9, but I've made an agreement with my wife to go into super-saver home buying mode, so selling something is my only option. In West Hollywood, a small 2bed/2bath home in our neighborhood goes for around a million bucks, so that's a lot of pennies to save! lol.

If the NEX doesn't do well with an M mount 35mm lens, or Sony doesn't bring a standard prime for the NEX system, I'll undoubtedly go m4/3...or buy an M9 and flee to Mexico!

p.s. I really shouldn't complain. the a900 with a standard prime isn't THAT big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Size

p.s. I really shouldn't complain. the a900 with a standard prime isn't THAT big.
    Quite agree there. Much as I like my G1+Kit lens (tried the adapter route with other lenses - only one that make any sense to me on it is the CV 50 Nokton which turns into a 100mm equivalent), I still feel there's nothing better than (in my case) the D700 with a manual 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor on it.

Post Thanks / Like

4/3rds and 6 megapixels = 1/4 of a Nikon D3x

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The "theoretical advantages" of a larger sensor are wasted in the NX10 and the NEX3/5 by increasing the pixel count.

As Rich points out, it would have been better if Samsung/Sony/PanaOly etc had kept the pixel count marginally lower while trying to match up the performance (image quality- lower noise, higher DR) of an APS-C DSLR.

The camera body is not a big problem. I saw a medium format digital in action yesterday. I could hardly notice it was on top of a tall tripod. Barely enough room for tripod mount at the bottom. For an APS-C digital back with a built in shutter, the NEX3/5 are OK.
    There could be an issue with the lens quality, the jury is still out, but the sensor appears to be pretty cutting-edge, having better noise control than older APS sensors in cameras like Nikon's D300s. But we need more images. I'm checking out Pentax's 645 Saturday, I hope I don't like it ($$$). Also, if at the Henry's show in Toronto Sony has prototypes of the NEX's, I'll try them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Quite agree there. Much as I like my G1+Kit lens (tried the adapter route with other lenses - only one that make any sense to me on it is the CV 50 Nokton which turns into a 100mm equivalent), I still feel there's nothing better than (in my case) the D700 with a manual 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor on it.
    It's on another galaxy compared to the G1, if only because of noise control, tonal smoothness, not to mention the pro body. But the G1 and my Schneider 25mm f0.95 is capable of shooting city street scenes hand-held at night at 100 ISO, just not as sharply as the Nikon's 50mm stopped down to f2.8, I'd wager.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Oh dear

Anonymous

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 4/3rds and 6 megapixels = 1/4 of a Nikon D3x

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    There could be an issue with the lens quality, the jury is still out, but the sensor appears to be pretty cutting-edge, having better noise control than older APS sensors in cameras like Nikon's D300s. But we need more images. I'm checking out Pentax's 645 Saturday, I hope I don't like it ($$$). Also, if at the Henry's show in Toronto Sony has prototypes of the NEX's, I'll try them.
    I would have said, I will buy one immediately but given Sony's pricing history, I am better off to wait for another 4-6 months. In the meantime (again Sony' track record), they will bring out several other models as well.

I still have not bought an A350 (which morphed to A380) that I would like to have for special application, though the price is ~ half of what it was.

In the meantime, i have the NX10 to play with.

I love the intense activity in the mirrorless cam field. I would very much like to see Pana to come up with a better sensor and release the G3 soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RichA - you must report back on the Pentax!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Some observations about three cameras I saw

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    RichA - you must report back on the Pentax!!!!
    Sony NEX; The camera is probably at the limits of smallness for an interchangeable lens camera. It's a little hard handling it without
    accidentally hitting buttons. The plastic body is slightly more comfortable to hold because it is larger and the angles on the hand grip are less severe. The image quality of the camera is decent, probably a bit better than my D300 Nikon for noise control. Image quality owing to the extreme portability, proximity of the lenses to the sensor may not be at the level of the average DSLR. The LCD is very thin, no cheap, thick plastic surround to bulk it up. The LCD is bright enough for daylight.
    Samsung NX10. Nice and thin, but not as small as the Sonys. The grip
    is reasonably comfortable (but not terrifically so, for that you need a full-sized DSLR) and the camera with its lenses is lightweight. Image quality is very good from all the lenses I tried, as good as any APS DSLR. Shutter slap is noticeable, but not bad.
    Pentax 645. What a beautiful camera! Great weather-sealed body, very ergonomic, better balanced than any small format DSLR (you can comfortably hold it by the grip alone, it's that well-balanced) and not as heavy as I thought it might be. Focusing with the "kit" lens is not lightning fast, I'd say about the same as the mirror-less cameras I tested. Can't judge image quality, it was pre-production and I couldn't sample from it. One amazing thing is mirror-slap is practically non-existent. Just like with the small K7 DSLR. The LCD is probably has the best-looking image from LCD's I've seen, though not as high in resolution as Nikon's DSLR LCD. IMO, this camera coupled with Nikon's D3s would be a better choice for a pricey kit than the D3s and D3x, especially given the resolution advantage.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is good to read, Rich! Thanks!.

Nex-3 with a lower introductory price sounds very good. In a few months, it should be available for free with the purchase of something else Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That is good to read, Rich! Thanks!.

Nex-3 with a lower introductory price sounds very good. In a few months, it should be available for free with the purchase of something else Sony.
    That's not a bad idea. Free with every A850!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting update about the 16mm lens and test images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=35353520

New headline from the site

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1005/10...onynexlens.asp

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very interesting, Terry.

How I wish that Pana also would say the same thing about the G2 and sell "production" models with a new sensor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, Vivek i have mixed feelings about the G2. I would like to try out the new interface and touch screen not sure what to expect on the sensor. They say it is a stop better but I'm not convinced. I get very good pricing on Panny gear so I've preorded a G2 to mess around with and will sell a G1 body.

Need to come up with other sale candidates as I also pre-ordered the NEX5.

I like playing with shiny toys.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think the sensors of 43 size are reaching their limits, so I would not expect much better results from the next generation. I think the technology is already pretty much optimized for these small sensors. There are physical limitations. This is why this new system is not "WOW" for me, although it is an appealing design.

Having said that - Sony must be better because they are using an APSC size sensor, so this has definitely an advantage. What I really hate about the new Sony's is that there are no Zeiss lenses available. Only Sony glass - and this is no more than average.

Still love my EP2 and Oly glass though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

Having said that - Sony must be better because they are using an APSC size sensor, so this has definitely an advantage.

I would disagree. NX10 (also a fairly recent sensor technology) with an APS-C sensor size isn't that much better in terms of noise and DR.

I believe there is much improvement that can be brought about in the m4/3rds sensor. It will cost more. A price I would be glad to pay if Pana would come with a back illuminated sensor and cool the sensor if need be.

Sony missed the boat, IMO, for not having used an EXMOR-R sensor in their NEX'.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so, there are no limits on how technology can evolve...

Well I think the sensors of 43 size are reaching their limits....

Post Thanks / Like

yehh... just waiting for a bacK Lite sensor and a gLobal shutter, got the [email protected], and I don't need their plastic imitation lenses designed by accoutants and focus gropes...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    yehh... just waiting for a bacK Lite sensor and a gLobal shutter, got the [email protected], and I don't need their plastic imitation lenses designed by accoutants and focus gropes...

You are giving them [email protected] a good workout already. Hard to believe that your Nocti shot on EPL1 betters your earlier (similar) shot on full frame film.

It is quite obvious that Sony announced everything (including the prices) without having the stuff in their hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The NEX sensor is a slightly revised version of the A550 sensor, which is a very good performer compared to m4/3.

As for EXMOR-R, Sony themselves have stated that the technology isn't relevant to sensors larger than P&S, because the sensor area is so much larger, and moving the electronics to the sensor back shows minimal improvement. Word is that they have no plans for EXMOR-R coming to any APS-C or FF sensors...at least not anytime soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As for EXMOR-R, Sony themselves have stated that the technology isn't relevant to sensors larger than P&S, because the sensor area is so much larger, and moving the electronics to the sensor back shows minimal improvement. Word is that they have no plans for EXMOR-R coming to any APS-C or FF sensors...at least not anytime soon.

Why would you believe when Sony ("make believe" ) say there is no advantage when there are at least 2 stops of sensitivity to be gained?

Their tune/story will flip once they do start making larger back illuminated sensors.

I think the NEX3/5 sensor is a version of the A450's (Pentax Kx/K7 as well?!).
    It remains to be seen what advantage it would offer in the NEX'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The K7 sensor is built by Samsung. The Kx sensor is a 12MP Sony sensor similar to the 14MP sensor of the A550.

Sony only recently confirmed what many have been theorizing for well over a year. Essentially, because the ratio of sensor area to "metal wiring" is so much greater with APS-C/FF cameras, the metal wiring doesn't block nearly the same percentage of light, compared to P&S sensors. So, moving that wiring to the rear on APS-C won't create nearly the gains that it does on P&S....allegedly.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony only recently confirmed what many have been theorizing for well over a year. Essentially, because the ratio of sensor area to "metal wiring" is so much greater with APS-C/FF cameras, the metal wiring doesn't block nearly the same percentage of light, compared to P&S sensors. So, moving that wiring to the rear on APS-C won't create nearly the gains that it does on P&S....allegedly.
    Just imagine how it would be like if the D3s sensor is back illuminated and it gains 2 more stops of sensitivity.

Sony's PR fellows will turn this thing around once they have a larger sensor in the market.

Post Thanks / Like

"Just imagine how it would be like if the D3s sensor is back illuminated and it gains 2 more stops of sensitivity.

Sony's PR fellows will turn this thing around once they have a larger sensor in the market."

And once the PR chappies realise the value of speed rather than number of pixels.

I took my G1 with the pancake to a charity evening yesterday. I was thrilled at the thought of taking available light pix in a situation where flash would have been intrusive. The subject of my new camera was raised in the car. The first question was as to how many pixels it had - to me one of the less exciting features of the kit.

The shots are smashing! Just what I wanted.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, as soon as the FF EXMOR-xyz sensor is available - hopefully with not much more than 24MP but with higher sensitivity and speed, then suddenly the world will be different again.

I remember the times before Nikon brought the D3 and only had DX format cameras. They were spreading the word that nobody needs FF and they probably never will build a FF camera. Same with Leica M8 - there is NO NEED for a FF digital M - now since almost a year we already have the M9 and suddenly the story is a totally different one.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes before this next generation FF sensors from Sony, Canon or even Kodak (or maybe Foveon) arrive in cameras. I would guess we should see the first models during PK 2010 in September. And BTW - I do not care which technology they use or how they call it, as soon as it delivers!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I remember the times before Nikon brought the D3 and only had DX format cameras. They were spreading the word that nobody needs FF and they probably never will build a FF camera. Same with Leica M8 - there is NO NEED for a FF digital M - now since almost a year we already have the M9 and suddenly the story is a totally different one.

And BTW - I do not care which technology they use or how they call it, as soon as it delivers!

Well said!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Next Generation FF

Will be interesting to see how long it takes before this next generation FF sensors from Sony, Canon or even Kodak (or maybe Foveon) arrive in cameras. I would guess we should see the first models during PK 2010 in September. And BTW - I do not care which technology they use or how they call it, as soon as it delivers!
    Imagine a smaller D700 equivalent mirrorless cam with EVF ... Can't wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Remember, though, that trade offs abound. The D3s is wonderful in lowlight, but its green separation isn't great, and you're better off with other cameras for landscape. That's why we still need different cameras tailored for good and bad light.

As far as the Exmor-R thing, there have been many, many arguments made against its usefullness in larger sensors, even before Sony themselves mentioned it. Of course, that's not to say there aren't other ways to improve.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Remember, though, that trade offs abound. The D3s is wonderful in lowlight, but its green separation isn't great, and you're better off with other cameras for landscape. That's why we still need different cameras tailored for good and bad light.

As far as the Exmor-R thing, there have been many, many arguments made against its usefullness in larger sensors, even before Sony themselves mentioned it. Of course, that's not to say there aren't other ways to improve.
    While I agree the need for different cameras and brands to be competitive so that us users can benefit, I do not buy the "lack of use" argument of a back illuminated sensor.

If Sony does not or would not make it, I hope someone else will so that I can buy that cam and use it.

I am not going to buy Sony's P&S cams just for the EXMOR-R sensor (though I did flirt with that idea until I discovered how good the Pana NMOS sensor is).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll have to look around for some threads from last year. Essentially, many we're saying that the electronics shown in the diagram above constitute such a small area in relation to the APS-C sensor size that, instead of getting a stop or two improvement, the improvement would be minimal enough to negate the extra manufacturing cost. We'll see. I certainly welcome the technology, even if it only gives a .3 stop improvement, but I think those hinging their buying decision on it will have a long time to wait.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas, It is not just the size of the opening but the green shaded area in the diagram you posted (various materials) also absorb light thus reducing the amount that reaches the photo active area.

On the question of cost. Sony's EXMOR-R sensored cams aren't that much more expensive than other P&S cams with a CCD or plain vanilla CMOS sensor, are they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The green space is empty. Imagine that same diagram with an APS-C sensor, and the wiring would be much smaller. The wiring in a front-illumintaed APS-C sensor blocks much less light proportionally to a P&S sensor.

The big advantage that I think would apply to EXMOR-R in the NEX is the improved response to angled light at the edges. As we were talking about the other day, that would certainly shrink down the sensor topping thickness, which would bode well for M glass.

As for cost, I would imagine manufacturing costs would certainly go up to switch to an EXMOR-R APS-C line.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even if the green space is "empty" (it is not) there is still light loss. The plain vanilla CMOS have undergone many a change in the past years and now the height of the green area also has come down, making the photo site more accessible to light.

Front vs Back illuminated- we are looking at 90-97% vs ~85% efficiency.

The big advantage that I think would apply to EXMOR-R in the NEX is the improved response to angled light at the edges. As we were talking about the other day, that would certainly shrink down the sensor topping thickness, which would bode well for M glass.

There are different issues at play there. The AA/UV/IR filter thickness will come down with the development of better materials. They do (especially UV/IR cut filter) need to be there. While the thickness of this glass would certainly affect the aberrations, it would not affect the angled light at the edges.

The AA/UV/IR cut filter stack of a G1, for example, isn't a simple glass. It is a composite of 4 to 5 different materials (how they affect light and to what extent, only Pana would know).
    Last edited by Vivek; 19th May 2010 at 11:58.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Robert.

From that link:

Most painfully, thereís no physical mode dial. To switch from Auto mode to a scene mode (like Panorama or Macro), you call up an on-screen dial ó thatís up to six button presses. Adjust the light sensitivity? Six presses plus a dial turn. Switch to manual focus? Eleven presses. It gets old fast.

Similarly, in playback mode, you canít view photos and videos together. Switching takes six button presses.
    Is that review cam a "preproduction" model? I could not find any reference to it. There are lots words about water and collecting rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Language

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Just made me smile when he writes: "For that price you get a non-zooming 16-millimeter lens (24-millimeter film equivalent) . "
    "Non-zooming" being one of those "inferior" fixed lens things I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Rayqual developing lens mount adapters for Sony NEX cameras:
    One of the things that helped make Micro Four Thirds popular among photographers was the ability to mount other-mount lenses on M43rds cameras. Today DC Watch Impress notes that Rayqual has announced that it is developing lens-mount adapters for the NEX cameras that will allow the mounting of Leica M, Contax-Yashica, Pentax K and DA, Canon FD, Nikon G (with/without adapter rings). Please note this is based on computer-translation so it may contain errors or confusions
    source: http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2010...x-cameras.html

Post Thanks / Like

All digitals fall short in the green, I wonder why sensors can't quite manage it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich, It is my understanding that the G2 would have better green channel response than the G1 due to the (G2) sensor's 4 channel readout compared 2 channel readout of G1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    All digitals fall short in the green, I wonder why sensors can't quite manage it?
    The CFA has a lot to do with it. That's why a few that I know traded in their D3x for the A900. The A900 has the best color separation currently in 35mm digital (the D3x has the better shadow detail.)