Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Sony, all I can say is, "WOW!"

There are a bunch of pictures taken with it here by a forum user:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...=699224&page=2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rawfa, those samples look pretty good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Rich, It is my understanding that the G2 would have better green channel response than the G1 due to the (G2) sensor's 4 channel readout compared 2 channel readout of G1.
    Damn! I could have checked that out at the Henry's show, they had the G1, GH1, G10 and G2 there. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    Thanks Rawfa, those samples look pretty good to me.
    Amin, not only that but the guys says the camera is REALLY fast. Yesterday I went out with the E-P1 and the 20mm and I lost my share of street shots due to slow AF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Amin, not only that but the guys says the camera is REALLY fast. Yesterday I went out with the E-P1 and the 20mm and I lost my share of street shots due to slow AF.
    I never lost any shot due to AF speed with my EP2 and I do not think it is so much faster than the EP1.

?????????????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky you. Action shots are really not the EP-1's selling point. And I'm using the latest firmware. I've read a couple of reviews that put the NEX system as considerably faster than the GF1 (which is already considerably faster than the Ep1/2).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Lucky you. Action shots are really not the EP-1's selling point. And I'm using the latest firmware. I've read a couple of reviews that put the NEX system as considerably faster than the GF1 (which is already considerably faster than the Ep1/2).
    I only believe these reviews once I tried myself. What some find to be faster often turns out to be not or only under certain circumstances.

If I turn on face detect and put the EP2 into iA mode (or however it is called - all auto anyway) I found it is very fast - at least in combination with the 2.8/17 and this is what I use for street shots. I do not think I missed any shot wit that combination and mode.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a speed of focus video between all three.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?i...esc=asc&no=167

Post Thanks / Like

SLRClub certainly performed quite a few tests.

In some of the tests, the Sony seemed to be do pretty well.

In the speed focussing tests, the Panasonic seemed to be a bit faster.

The high Iso test results were quite good for the Sony.

Thanks Terry for posting these early test results.

Martin

grum

It seems to me that Sony's product planners have definitively identified the person switching from a point and shoot to something with interchangeable lenses as their target market. With the NEX they have eschewed much in the way of manual controls and opted for a dumbed down user interface in an attempt to make the mysteries of camera use that much easier to understand.

It's my opinion that in this they have failed. The green Intelligent Auto setting that Sony has on their other cameras is really all that a beginner needs to be able to stay out of trouble and take decent pictures. The NEX-5 has this as well, but then proceeds to cripple the rest of the camera's user interface with roadblocks and complications, just the thing to turn off the budding photographer because in fact it makes climbing the learning curve tougher rather than easier.

There's a saying – If it ain't broke don't fix it – and in the case of Sony's NEX user interface design I'm afraid that it rings all too true.

Correct this and I believe that Sony has a very strong competitor to the rest. Leave it alone and I believe that the NEX series will be ignored by anyone other than those attracted by the pretty cosmetics and the Sony name.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ony-nex5.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The AF speed seemed very close the the GF1 in that test but more importantly, the NEX 5 shoots much faster and the screen blank out was merely the blink of an eye much like an SLR's mirror blank out with the Sony versus a slow blink and pause between shots on the GF1 in their tests. Closest to it in actual focus and shoot speed was the Samsung NX 10. The other big visible difference was the LCD brightness, contrast and view-ability where the NX 10 was clearly the best followed by the Sony and the others were not even close.
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

here are some iso 4000 and 6400 samples: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16957