The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera I've most enjoyed using

Steve Fines

Like others I've left a long trail of cameras behind me.

I think the one I most enjoyed was the Canon 10D.

It was my first digital DSLR and such a paradigm shift from film.

K

Ken Tanaka

Like Steve, above, I also enjoyed the 10D (which I still own). It was also my first dslr. It seems downright quaint today, doesn't it?

Today, amidst all of the cameras I have at my disposal (including a P65+ with Mamiya bodies) the camera I'm most enjoying is my Olympus Pen E-P2. The E-P1 was ok but it was missing some touches, most notably the E-P2's excellent electronic viewfinder. Not only does this EVF enable easier viewing in bright conditions but it's hinged design also enables me to shoot quickly from a near-waist-level position (rather like my Rolleiflex). The image quality I'm getting from it is not too far behind my M9, too. And the Panasonic mft 20mm and 7-14mm lenses are fuggettaboutit good.

So the Oly E-P2 gets my vote today as a camera that's great fun to use.

But frankly I think a thread on the most miserable and/or disappointing cameras might be more useful.

RichA

There aren't many truly bad cameras

Like Steve, above, I also enjoyed the 10D (which I still own). It was also my first dslr. It seems downright quaint today, doesn't it?

Today, amidst all of the cameras I have at my disposal (including a P65+ with Mamiya bodies) the camera I'm most enjoying is my Olympus Pen E-P2. The E-P1 was ok but it was missing some touches, most notably the E-P2's excellent electronic viewfinder. Not only does this EVF enable easier viewing in bright conditions but it's hinged design also enables me to shoot quickly from a near-waist-level position (rather like my Rolleiflex). The image quality I'm getting from it is not too far behind my M9, too. And the Panasonic mft 20mm and 7-14mm lenses are fuggettaboutit good.

So the Oly E-P2 gets my vote today as a camera that's great fun to use.

But frankly I think a thread on the most miserable and/or disappointing cameras might be more useful.
Except that really, there are few of them. I got a Polaroid video camera for nothing (cheap, VGA quality) that really was a piece of junk (couldn't take a good still shot to save its life) and showed the mark of a company that now only markets cheap trash from China as "business giveaways." I once got a digital camera for free offered by Sprint if you signed up for internet, it was terrible as well. But for the most part, most cameras will produce decent images. Of all the real cameras I've owned, probably the one that fell the most short on a specific task was the Pentax K20D when it came to low-light focusing on any moving object. Even with fast f2.8 lenses it was a real pain. Other than that, it worked well.

K

Ken Tanaka

Re: There aren't many truly bad cameras

Except that really, there are few of them. ...
And that's why such a thread might be useful!

For me the Sigma DP2 stands out as my most disappointing experience with a digital camera. More power to the devotees who claim affinity for these things. But, potential for good images aside, I sure found the thing to be an exercise in "Why bother?". Mercifully, I cut the experience short and returned it quickly.

Jonas

My first camera was an Instamatic. It was lovely for a boy, and a POS. Then I upgraded to an Agfa Silette, a couple of other cameras and then I bought my SLR camera; a Miranda Sensorex EE. It came with great features and a lousy build quality and spent more time at the camera shop than with me.
My next SLR camera was an Canon EF. I really liked it and also if I preferred the spot metering system of the F-1 and F-1(n) the EF is still with me, and even see some use when I think it needs some exercise together with the FD 24/2 or the 50/1.4.

Much later (in time and including some Leica M models and more stuff) it was time for digital. After a period with the Minolta A-2 I bought the Pentax DS as it was the first small DSLR, and also the first DSLR I felt I could afford. It was fun but suffers (I still have it) from unreliable metering. There is 30 years between the Miranda and the Pentax:

After the Pentax DS I have used a 5D, a 5DMkII and then the G1 in-between and now it is G1 only.

Like Jonathon I'm very interested in any coming FF LIVE camera. For now I see no reason to up- or side-grade.

So, the Canon EF it is.

Jonas

scho

I still enjoy shooting 4x5 film the most, even though I don't do it very often. I like the slow contemplative approach and especially like looking at the resuts later on a nice negative or tranny with rich detail. I only wish that Polaroid type 55 was still available. An affordable digital back is also a nice dream. In the meantime I use the 4x5 occasionally with either the G1 or my 5DII and my Rodenstock LF lenses for stitching or even macro work. Sample from last year:

Siberian Blue with G1 on 4x5 with Rodenstock APO-Sironar-S 135mm/5.6

sinwen

Kodak Retinette, Edixa LTL, Nikon F, Nikormat EL, Nikon FM, Nikon FE, Pentax MX and ME Super, Mamya press, Rollei Twin lenses 3.5 tessar, Leica M3, M6, leica RE and R6, Arca Discovery, Linhof, hasselblad 500CM, then 501CM.

All these are film cameras, I have only one digital a small P&S Pana TZ3.
Up to now I didn't fancy any digital but plan to dive in, I thought of the GH1 or the latest Canon 550d.
I had a peep through the viewfinder of a Canon 500.... hum.... I saw nuts !
APS size sensor would fit me but the VF is crap ! FF sensor are expensive and so hudge !

I want an equivalent Nikon FM or Leica R6, fully manual, small size, large and bright VF, no bull**** modes, in body IS, high IQ APS sensor, GH1 flip screen but with high res, full metal lenses with all the rings we had before because it's so much faster and easier.
It is not in the market yet, so I am with my Leica M6 & 3 & Hassy 501, I love them 3.
My R lenses are waiting...

Lars

Hmm my camera trail... Instamatic vintage 1971, Pentax ME Super, Pentax LX, dad's old Kodak Retina IIA (still have it), Minox ML, Nikon N90s, Ricoh GR1, Nikon F5, Ricoh RDC-1, Canon Powershot A5, Toyo 45AII, Nikon N60, Canon Powershot S10, Hasselblad XPan, Fuji GSW690, Ebony SW23, Canon Powershot S45, Wisner 8x10" Pocket Expedition, Gandolfi Variant 8x10", Ebony 45S, Sony DSC-W1, Toyo 810G, Toyo 810G (extra one for backup), Toyo 45G (for parts), Nikon D2X, Nikon D300, Canon Powershot G9, Nikon D700, Canon Powershot G11, Nokia N900 (my first phone to have a usable camera).

...what whas the question again? Oh right, most enjoyed. Hmm... I used the LX for many years but enjoyment was limited... The Ebony SW23 rates very high, as does the Nikon F5 and Nikon D700.

P

Pascal

My most fun and memorable camera ever: Toss up between Contax T or Contax G2+21mm f2.8
Most used: Nikon F3 HP
Most trusted now: Nikon D700
*Current* most fun camera: Sigma DP1 and DP2s