The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I am the only one who likes the 14-42mm?

J

jwestra

I recently took a lot of pictures with my e-p1 and the 14-42mm kit lens. And I am actually very happy with it. The combination is compact enough to fit in my jacket and easily in any bag. And I still have a reasonable zoom range (more would nice). It also focussing nice and close and the speed isn't really a problem for normal outdoor photography. I would not like to trade it for only a pancake because it allows to take some "wide-angle" shots and zoom in a least a little. Still in this nice compact package.

I think it is the most underestimated lens in m43.

jonoslack

I think it is the most underestimated lens in m43.
I Quite agree with you.
I think it does a grand job - it's very small, focuses closely and does an excellent job - corners aren't too bad.

I think small - slow zooms are often dismissed out of hand, of course, they aren't ever going to be as good as primes, but in lots of circumstances shooting at f5.6 or f8 is what one wants, and under such conditions a small zoom is perfect.

The Minolta 24-105 on the Sony A900 is another example of an under-appreciated lens which does a grand job.

all the best

V

Vivek

The only thing I like about that thing is the fantastic stainless steel mount it has.

Very solid and holds the plastic contraption together.

Is it worth the list price for a lens mount, however fabulous it might be, I would not think so.

jonoslack

The only thing I like about that thing is the fantastic stainless steel mount it has.

Very solid and holds the plastic contraption together.

Is it worth the list price for a lens mount, however fabulous it might be, I would not think so.
Hi Vivek.
I know you hate it . . . and I understand that if I take pictures with the lens cap on it leaks light (I'll see if mine does). But I stick to the point - it works quite well for what it is.

I think there is a definite tendency around here to think of the shortcomings of old fashioned lenses as 'charm', whereas the shortcomings of modern lenses just prove how poor they are.

Terry

I've kept mine as well. Funny, I just discovered that light leak with lens cap a few days ago!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I like it too. I have an EPL1 on the way and it has another one with it, so I will sell one. I just read that the version that comes with the EPL1 has a different mount, so I'll have to compare the two before selling one.
It is a nice little lens to have on my G1 when I stick it in my purse. I really like it better than the Panasonic version.

kweide

It is a really good zoom lens. Superb picture quality but so uuuugly. I like its rendering and i keep it !

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

Speaking for myself, I have loved the 18-55 kitzzoom from Nikon. It was the best lens I have used (despite having a plethora of top of the line Nikon lenses) for IR when I used to shoot with Nikon cams.

Pana's kit zoom that came with my first G1 is several hundred times better in every way than the Oly-D stuff.

I am sure (though I do not own one) Samsung's NX10 kitzoom is also fantastic.

I am positive that Sony's NEX kitzoom is several million times better than the Olympus thing.

IMHO, Olympus are better off withdrawing this thing from the market and making sure their future zooms have a semblance of quality that matches up to other manufacturers lowest priced lenses.

As for old lenses, I have a few.

One example-

An old 40/2.8 Kilfitt Macro Kilar sample that I found a while ago for a handful of pennies had damaged glass.

I took the glasses out and use the double helix/telescopic barrel as a focus mount for using macro lenses. This barrel is made of very thin aluminium and is extremely light.

No light leaks and not even a wiggle when fully extended even with a reasonably heavy lens at the far end.

I would take an empty tube from Liechtenstein over the Olympus thing any day.