The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Most successful M-mount lenses on the Pens?

andrewteee

I recently picked up my E-P2 and Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 pairing again and realized how much I enjoy this combination when using the Grainy B&W art filter. It really works beautifully for much of what I like to shoot. Outside of this unique configuration, what other M-mount lenses work well on the Pens? It would be nice to have a wider option. Also, the C Sonnar has a unique rendering - would appreciate a more modern lens design as second M-mount lens.

I'm also interested in older Olympus lenses, just not sure where to find them.

Thanks.

D

dazedproductions

I am not going to be 100% useful but:
I have the sonnar too, like it a lot and it spends a lot of time on the camera.

I also picked up the contax G 90mm (intentionally) and stumbled onto a 35mm at a price I could not turn down. I have the kippon adapter that I don't find great and the monza one on the way. If I was doing it again I would have got a leica 90mm as I am not sure that I will stay on micro four thirds forever but I expect my digital "rangefinder" to continue with the same lenses but potentially a different (larger) sensor. Sony isn't for me now but perhaps in the future if they get a proper body with enough manual controls.
I also have the 17mm olympus.

Right now my micro four thirds lenses are a bit of a mess. I am thinking of trying a voigtlander 28mm f2, which would basically replace the 17mm (except where I am keeping size down) and I would keep the 50mm zeiss and 90mm. I expect to sell the 35mm. Rangefinder lenses below 35mm are widely said to not work brilliantly but I prefer the manual lenses and I want to invest in a lens that I can easily adapt to other bodies. That is the main reason that I would go leica 90mm rather than the contax G one if I had it to do again.

The contax lenses are certainly sharp but the adapters are a pain and if I move platform I have to go through the hassle of adapting them again.

scho

I am not going to be 100% useful but:
I have the sonnar too, like it a lot and it spends a lot of time on the camera.

I also picked up the contax G 90mm (intentionally) and stumbled onto a 35mm at a price I could not turn down. I have the kippon adapter that I don't find great and the monza one on the way. If I was doing it again I would have got a leica 90mm as I am not sure that I will stay on micro four thirds forever but I expect my digital "rangefinder" to continue with the same lenses but potentially a different (larger) sensor. Sony isn't for me now but perhaps in the future if they get a proper body with enough manual controls.
I also have the 17mm olympus.

Right now my micro four thirds lenses are a bit of a mess. I am thinking of trying a voigtlander 28mm f2, which would basically replace the 17mm (except where I am keeping size down) and I would keep the 50mm zeiss and 90mm. I expect to sell the 35mm. Rangefinder lenses below 35mm are widely said to not work brilliantly but I prefer the manual lenses and I want to invest in a lens that I can easily adapt to other bodies. That is the main reason that I would go leica 90mm rather than the contax G one if I had it to do again.

The contax lenses are certainly sharp but the adapters are a pain and if I move platform I have to go through the hassle of adapting them again.
I have both the CV 28mm f/2 and the older f/1.9 Ultron. Both performed well on my M8, with the latter having slightly lower contrast. On m43 bodies the 28 f/2 produces smeared corners and edges, whereas the f/1.9 does much better with no corner smearing.

jonoslack

We have the 50 Sonnar (which my son uses on his EP1 most of the time, together with the 28 f1.9 Ultron and the 15mm CV).
I rather like the 90 f2.8 elmarit - it's startling to have such a tiny (and excellent quality) 180mm f2.8 equivalent.

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh... if you Like gLow and bloom, the 35mm SummiLux pre-asph wide open c@n't be beat. The Leitz Noctilux is an invaluable tool...wide open on a EPL-1.

V

Vivek

If you already do not own (and use with M cams) any other M-mount lenses, none are worth buying to use with m4/3rds cams.

D

dazedproductions

If you already do not own (and use with M cams) any other M-mount lenses, none are worth buying to use with m4/3rds cams.
what a completely stupid statement. Just because you don't perceive value does not mean there is no value to others. I don't see any value in buying a native micro four thirds lens but I would never start telling other people not to buy them. Everyone has different needs.

andrewteee

I owned the C Sonnar (and a couple of other Zeiss lenses) from my time with the Zeiss Ikon. I may someday end back in rangefinder land again. I had the C Biogon 21mm (wonderful lens with film!), but decided the Panasonic 20mm was easier and better in some ways.

The C Sonnar is just so unique, and you're probably right than most other m-mount lenses would not be as compelling with the E-P2. Nonetheless, worth looking into, at least to satisfy curiosity.

D

dazedproductions

Not going to happen. I have many lenses dating from the 70s, they have seen many bodies and will see many more. Some of my favourite are the oldest. My stay on micro four thirds will be a short one and my lenses will move to the next compact system at which point my one micro lens will go on the bay. Just because you are too short sighted to understand my point of view does not mean others don't share it.
I do agree that for a lot of people your generalisation may be true.

V

Vivek

Andrew, I am sure the 50/1.5 C-Sonnar is better on the m4/3rds (or the upcoming NEXs) than a rangefinder because of the focus shift problems that lens poses.

There are better options in mounts other than Leica M for the m4/3rds.

Besides, unlike Contax/Nikon and such, Leica is a not an orphaned system.

V

Vivek

dazed, I don't think I engaged in any discussion on whatever point you may have. I don't see that you disagree with what I said either if you already own loads of lenses.

Snap out of it- have some decorum, dazed.

D

dazedproductions

dazed, I don't think I engaged in any discussion on whatever point you may have. I don't see that you disagree with what I said either if you already own loads of lenses.

Snap out of it- have some decorum, dazed.
?? I think you are the one lacking in decorum

seakayaker

. . . . . call me crazy but I would buy a 'M' lens for the 4/3rds camera . . . . .

I have bought a few Voigtlander lenses, a 25mm 'M' mount, and a 50mm and 75mm screw mount. Also a couple of Contax G Zeiss 45mm & 90mm lenses, then there was the inexpensive Zeiss 35mm that takes a C/Y mount at the camera shop, and the cheap Yashica lens . . . . .

I enjoy them and I am having fun.

If I leave the 4/3rds community, I will sell them if I do not have any use for them.

If you have the money and you want to do something, then go for it.

The most successful lens for your Pen is the one that you are currently using.

Go have some fun.

JMHO!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)