The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Tokina ATX 90mm 2.5 'Bokina'

leuallen

Bye bye Tamron macro. Hello Tokina!

Got my new Tokina macro today. The lens is reputed to be very sharp with a special bokeh. We shall see.

The lens cost enough (for me), ~$380, but less than I've seen others going for. It has the 1:1 adapter which is optical, not a tube. This is supposed to further correct for aberrations in the 1:2 to 1:1 range.

The lens is mint, can't tell it from new - in fact I think it is new.

Of course I had to try it out. The rain cleared and out I went.

The sample attached is sort of interesting for the background. It is a piece of very shear white material stretched on a embroidery hoop. It let the objects in back of it show through in sort of a ghostly way.

Larry

K

Kiri

Funny. I just got one a couple of days ago too! :)
Haven't had a chance to try it out properly yet, but intend to do so today.
Mine was a bit cheaper than yours, but didn't come with the macro extender unfortunately :(

leuallen

Kiri,

I've seen the extenders for sale on ebay, about $40+ if I remember correctly. But they are scarce and you have to match your mount.

I just finished processing the rest of the images from today and the lens seems very sharp.

Here is another image from today. Again it has an unusual background. This time a thicker white material with a flash shoot through. The shadows are from plants between the flash and background. It takes lots of trial and error to balance the flash with the foreground and then lots of post processing to bring it out.

Funny how getting a new lens brings out the creative juices. I did not get the same bang when I got my Pana 20mm 1.7, in fact I rarely use it. I guess I a long lens guy.

Larry

RichA

Bye bye Tamron macro. Hello Tokina!

Got my new Tokina macro today. The lens is reputed to be very sharp with a special bokeh. We shall see.

The lens cost enough (for me), ~$380, but less than I've seen others going for. It has the 1:1 adapter which is optical, not a tube. This is supposed to further correct for aberrations in the 1:2 to 1:1 range.

The lens is mint, can't tell it from new - in fact I think it is new.

Of course I had to try it out. The rain cleared and out I went.

The sample attached is sort of interesting for the background. It is a piece of very shear white material stretched on a embroidery hoop. It let the objects in back of it show through in sort of a ghostly way.

Larry
It looks really good, better than the 100mm f2.8 Kiron I had.

V

Vivek

I have the original design Vivitar Series 1 lens. The Tokina version has better coatings (less flare).

The lens has floating elements (novel for its time) and is corrected to 1:2.

The macro extender (fabulous mechanical and optical construction complete with tripod mount) is a 3 element field flattener in the 1:2 to 1:1 range.

One of my favorite lenses on Nikon cams.

For m4/3rds, i find it too heavy and big, despite its sharp images and smooth OOF renderings.

JerryMK

Congratualations!!! You will never regret buying this sublime lens. It is my favorite and on my G1 90% of the time. Have fun and if you need some Bokina inspiration you are welcome to have a look at here.