The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Micro Four Thirds Lens on Four Thirds Camera

P

Porky4

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is a real numbty-type question, but I couln't find the answer anywhere via Google (probably asking the wrong questions!). I have a Panasonic G1 and the excellent Panasonic 20mm F1.7 lens. I may also be getting an Olympus Four Thirds camera and abviously would like to use the "pancake" on that. So the question is "can you"? I know it is possible to use Four Thirds lenses on Micro Four Thirds cameras via the MA1 (?) adapter, but is there a Micro Four Thirds to Four Thirds adapter?

Paul :cool:

Schmiddi

No chance - the distance from lens to sensor is smaller on Micro 4/3 than 4/3. So mounting a 4/3 lens on Micro 4/3 is no problem, just add an adapter to add some distance. But the other way around does not work, the lens would need to sit inside the body...

Andreas

P

Porky4

No chance - the distance from lens to sensor is smaller on Micro 4/3 than 4/3. So mounting a 4/3 lens on Micro 4/3 is no problem, just add an adapter to add some distance. But the other way around does not work, the lens would need to sit inside the body...

Andreas
Thanks Andreas, I thought that would be the case, but I had to ask ...

I think I'll keep the G1 just for the 20mm F1.7! :D

Paul :cool:

photoSmart42

You could certainly mount anything to anything else given enough creativity in building the appropriate adapter. You'd be able to use your MFT lenses on your 4/3 camera, but only for macro work since you'd lose infinity. You'd also have to set your aperture on your MFT camera first, then attach the MFT lens to your 4/3 camera.

I'd say it's possible, but I'm guessing not worth it.

biglouis

I appreciate the question because the 20/1.7 is a fantastic lens. If I was making the commitment to a 4/3rds camera I might think about trying to obtain the Leica 25/1.4 as my prime lens.

LouisB