The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2-lens kit

shadzee

I don't know if you've read the 2-lens kit articles which Mike put up on TOP in the last few days. ( 2 primes, prime and a zoom, and 2 zooms)

That got me thinking about my own lenses or lens collection. One of the reasons I switched to m4/3 format was the possibility of using older legacy lenses, which I have plenty of (Pentax).

However, the more I use my m4/3, the more comfortable I've become with the 20mm Panny. And, with the older eyes, I find it next to impossible to manual focus with the GF1!

So my 2-lens kit, by default has become the Panny 20 & the Panny 14-140, at 80/20 ratio.

What is your 2-lens kit? do you normaly shoot with more than a few lenses?

A

a_summarita

35 lux asph and vc 15 heliar II

pair shooting is ideal for me because it doesn't involve a lot of weight and you still get a good nice focal coverage.

:)

photoSmart42

Are you talking about a 2-lens kit as the totality of lenses you own, or a 2-lens kit that you'd normally carry with you?

For me, it depends on how far I travel. If it's a short walk-about, I take 1 lens with me and find shots that fit that lens. For anything else, I take my bag in the car that normally holds the 14-140, the 20, my 90/2.5 macro, one of my legacy 50's, and one or two C-mount lenses (they're small enough). I'd say the 14-140 and the 20 are the most ubiquitous lenses that seem to show up anywhere I go. Once I can afford the PL45 I'll likely take that instead of my 90 macro.

kainekainekaine

GH1 plus 20mm go everywhere with me. Would love to add a wide pancake prime in my other pocket :)

When taking a bag of heavy stuff my tokina f2.8 80-200mm and sigma 10-20mm.

JBurnett

By far, the most-carried 2-lens kit from amongst the lenses I own: the Panasonic 20mm and Pan-Leica 45mm Macro.

shadzee

Interesting Dragos,
The other two lenses that I've used besides the two Panny are the Tamron 90/2.8 macro and the Pentax 50/1.2 ;-)

I love the Tamron's rendering, but it's just WAY too big. The Pentax 50/1.2 is great too, but only on the GH1 ;-(... I tend to carry the GF1 every where.

I wish there was an AF macro 70mm F/2 m4/3 lens ;-) The 45/2.8 lens seems too slow. I guess for now with these limited AF lineup we have, the ultimate kit would be 20 & 45 on-hand with 7-14 & 14-140 in the bag left in the car ;-)

Switching formats has also made me to consolidate my lens collection... hmmm, I mean getting rid of the lenses I don't use. I used to think that I needed to "cover" a complete range. But, now I think more of windows in the range.

The windows I like in m4/3 format are 10-12mm, 20-25mm, 65-75mm. The Panny 20 is fantastic, but I have not found a suitable solution for the other two.

andrewteee

On the E-P2, the Panasonic 20/1.7 and ... not much else. The 14-42mm every now and then or the Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5. But like Mike at TOP if I have the 20mm I'm hard pressed to ever put on a zoom.

More often, though, the two-lens kit is the Ricoh GXR/A12 50mm and the GRD3 28mm. Will get the 28mm A12 when available.

28mm and 50mm cover most of what I need.

wjlapier

20/1.7 and 14-140.

One of the huge draws to the mFT format for me is it's small size, but excellent image quality. My kit is actually three lenses--GF1, 20/1.7, 7-14 and 14-140. But mostly I use the 20 and 14-140, and bring the 7-14 because it can fit in my bag.

Diane B

By far, the most-carried 2-lens kit from amongst the lenses I own: the Panasonic 20mm and Pan-Leica 45mm Macro.
That's mine as well John. Before I got the 45 f/2.8 I carried the 20 with a Konica 40 f/1.8 most of the time (and before the 20, I carried the 17 f/2.8), but now its the 45.

Godfrey

20/1.7 and Konica 40/1.8
or
25/2.8 and 35/3.5 Macro
or
12.5/1.4 and 40/1.8
or
25/2.8 and 70/2
or ...

:)

What's in the bag most of the time is the first of these.

R

retnull

GH-1 with Panasonic 20/1.7 and Fuji C-mount 75/1.8

The Fuji (which is quite good) gets used about 20% of the time.

Two lenses is the way to go!!!

Audii-Dudii

My everyday carry camera is an E-P1 with either the 20mm Panasonic or the 4/3 format PanaLeica 14-50 zoom and an adapter. I rarely carry both, but alternate depending upon my mood and suspected usage during the day.

My "serious" camera is an E-PL1 body with the Olympus 4/3 format zooms: 7-14, 14-35, and 35-100. I also carry a GF-1 and a G1 as backup bodies and usually bring along the E-P1/20mm combo as a snapshot/scouting camera.

I use the 35-100 so rarely, though, that I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it with an EC-20 teleconverter and using it with the PanaLeica 14-50 and saving a whole lot of money, space, and weight. Hmmm...

leuallen

I usually have most of my lenses with me in the car because when I take pictures it is serious stuff and I never know what I'll come across. But if traveling light I'll put the 14-45, 45-200, and 20 carried in a belt pack (three compartments).

This will be strange to most of you but my most used lenses are the Tokina 90mm 2.5 macro and Tokina 100-300mm 4.0. Size does not matter, I use a tripod. So that would be my two kit lens. Not very versatile for general photography but suits 75% of type of photos I take.

Larry

I

Ibeti

On the Camera - either Konica Hexanon 35 f2*, or Konica Hexanon 50 f1.4 (used from f2 and down). 95% of all my photography is currently done with one of these two lenses.

Third lens to slip into the bag (this would be my briefcase equivalent that I allways carry with me) - Hexanon 85 f1.8

*my copy of the 35 is unfourtenatly not in great condition (fantastic optically, but with oil on the aperture blades, meaning I usually need to take it off the camera when I want to stop down (it gets stuck).

V

Vivek

"two lens kit" rather old fashioned thinking.

I carry two G1s (that is what is in my bag).

The hacked G1 has the 20/1.7 plus an IR polarizer plus a Hoya R72 on it.

The normal G1 has a Computar 25/1.3.

I have about 4 lenses (out of a few I have) in addition to the cameras plus filters, SD cards, batteries, small tripods, plastic bags, dry cloth (it rains often and unpredictably so) and others.

seakayaker

Thinking about this on and off all day . . . . .

I can think of two lens combinations, just not sure if I would be happy with just two at this point.

On most workdays it is just the GF1 and the Lumix 20/1.7

. . . . . on weekend or evenings I take along two or more and they can be anything from the 7-14, 14-50, 20, 35, 45, 50 75, and/or 90. For now choice is good and it is fun, if I ever have the answer I can sell off the rest . . . . . then I would most likely want to take the money and buy another lens . . . . . you can get a headache trying to make sense out of it . . . . .

Tough question.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)