Site Sponsors

Thread: 2-lens kit

Post Thanks / Like

2-lens kit

I don't know if you've read the 2-lens kit articles which Mike put up on TOP in the last few days. ( 2 primes, prime and a zoom, and 2 zooms)

That got me thinking about my own lenses or lens collection. One of the reasons I switched to m4/3 format was the possibility of using older legacy lenses, which I have plenty of (Pentax).

However, the more I use my m4/3, the more comfortable I've become with the 20mm Panny. And, with the older eyes, I find it next to impossible to manual focus with the GF1!

So my 2-lens kit, by default has become the Panny 20 & the Panny 14-140, at 80/20 ratio.

What is your 2-lens kit? do you normaly shoot with more than a few lenses?
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

a_summarita

Re: 2-lens kit

35 lux asph and vc 15 heliar II

pair shooting is ideal for me because it doesn't involve a lot of weight and you still get a good nice focal coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about a 2-lens kit as the totality of lenses you own, or a 2-lens kit that you'd normally carry with you?

For me, it depends on how far I travel. If it's a short walk-about, I take 1 lens with me and find shots that fit that lens. For anything else, I take my bag in the car that normally holds the 14-140, the 20, my 90/2.5 macro, one of my legacy 50's, and one or two C-mount lenses (they're small enough). I'd say the 14-140 and the 20 are the most ubiquitous lenses that seem to show up anywhere I go. Once I can afford the PL45 I'll likely take that instead of my 90 macro.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

GH1 plus 20mm go everywhere with me. Would love to add a wide pancake prime in my other pocket

When taking a bag of heavy stuff my tokina f2.8 80-200mm and sigma 10-20mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By far, the most-carried 2-lens kit from amongst the lenses I own: the Panasonic 20mm and Pan-Leica 45mm Macro.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Dragos,
    The other two lenses that I've used besides the two Panny are the Tamron 90/2.8 macro and the Pentax 50/1.2 ;-)

I love the Tamron's rendering, but it's just WAY too big. The Pentax 50/1.2 is great too, but only on the GH1 ;-(... I tend to carry the GF1 every where.

I wish there was an AF macro 70mm F/2 m4/3 lens ;-) The 45/2.8 lens seems too slow. I guess for now with these limited AF lineup we have, the ultimate kit would be 20 & 45 on-hand with 7-14 & 14-140 in the bag left in the car ;-)

Switching formats has also made me to consolidate my lens collection... hmmm, I mean getting rid of the lenses I don't use. I used to think that I needed to "cover" a complete range. But, now I think more of windows in the range.

The windows I like in m4/3 format are 10-12mm, 20-25mm, 65-75mm. The Panny 20 is fantastic, but I have not found a suitable solution for the other two.
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

Post Thanks / Like

On the E-P2, the Panasonic 20/1.7 and ... not much else. The 14-42mm every now and then or the Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5. But like Mike at TOP if I have the 20mm I'm hard pressed to ever put on a zoom.

More often, though, the two-lens kit is the Ricoh GXR/A12 50mm and the GRD3 28mm. Will get the 28mm A12 when available.

28mm and 50mm cover most of what I need.

Post Thanks / Like

20/1.7 and 14-140.

One of the huge draws to the mFT format for me is it's small size, but excellent image quality. My kit is actually three lenses--GF1, 20/1.7, 7-14 and 14-140. But mostly I use the 20 and 14-140, and bring the 7-14 because it can fit in my bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBurnett View Post
    By far, the most-carried 2-lens kit from amongst the lenses I own: the Panasonic 20mm and Pan-Leica 45mm Macro.
    That's mine as well John. Before I got the 45 f/2.8 I carried the 20 with a Konica 40 f/1.8 most of the time (and before the 20, I carried the 17 f/2.8), but now its the 45.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the neighborhood... computar 25mm 1.3 & computar 50mm 1.3 or Switar macro 26mm 1.1 & Leitz Noctilux 1.0...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

20/1.7 and Konica 40/1.8
    or
    25/2.8 and 35/3.5 Macro
    or
    12.5/1.4 and 40/1.8
    or
    25/2.8 and 70/2
    or ...

:-)

What's in the bag most of the time is the first of these.

retnull

GH-1 with Panasonic 20/1.7 and Fuji C-mount 75/1.8

The Fuji (which is quite good) gets used about 20% of the time.

Two lenses is the way to go!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My everyday carry camera is an E-P1 with either the 20mm Panasonic or the 4/3 format PanaLeica 14-50 zoom and an adapter. I rarely carry both, but alternate depending upon my mood and suspected usage during the day.

My "serious" camera is an E-PL1 body with the Olympus 4/3 format zooms: 7-14, 14-35, and 35-100. I also carry a GF-1 and a G1 as backup bodies and usually bring along the E-P1/20mm combo as a snapshot/scouting camera.

I use the 35-100 so rarely, though, that I'm thinking of selling it and replacing it with an EC-20 teleconverter and using it with the PanaLeica 14-50 and saving a whole lot of money, space, and weight. Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

I usually have most of my lenses with me in the car because when I take pictures it is serious stuff and I never know what I'll come across. But if traveling light I'll put the 14-45, 45-200, and 20 carried in a belt pack (three compartments).

This will be strange to most of you but my most used lenses are the Tokina 90mm 2.5 macro and Tokina 100-300mm 4.0. Size does not matter, I use a tripod. So that would be my two kit lens. Not very versatile for general photography but suits 75% of type of photos I take.

Larry

Ibeti

On the Camera - either Konica Hexanon 35 f2*, or Konica Hexanon 50 f1.4 (used from f2 and down). 95% of all my photography is currently done with one of these two lenses.

Third lens to slip into the bag (this would be my briefcase equivalent that I allways carry with me) - Hexanon 85 f1.8

*my copy of the 35 is unfourtenatly not in great condition (fantastic optically, but with oil on the aperture blades, meaning I usually need to take it off the camera when I want to stop down (it gets stuck).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"two lens kit" rather old fashioned thinking.

I carry two G1s (that is what is in my bag).

The hacked G1 has the 20/1.7 plus an IR polarizer plus a Hoya R72 on it.

The normal G1 has a Computar 25/1.3.

I have about 4 lenses (out of a few I have) in addition to the cameras plus filters, SD cards, batteries, small tripods, plastic bags, dry cloth (it rains often and unpredictably so) and others.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about this on and off all day . . . . .

I can think of two lens combinations, just not sure if I would be happy with just two at this point.

On most workdays it is just the GF1 and the Lumix 20/1.7

. . . . . on weekend or evenings I take along two or more and they can be anything from the 7-14, 14-50, 20, 35, 45, 50 75, and/or 90. For now choice is good and it is fun, if I ever have the answer I can sell off the rest . . . . . then I would most likely want to take the money and buy another lens . . . . . you can get a headache trying to make sense out of it . . . . .

Tough question.

Life is Grand!

Dan
    ~