Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I buy a GH1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I buy a GH1

I had both the G1 and GH1. I found the image quality on the GH1 noticeably better particularly at higher ISOs (I can remember a few cases of banding, but only rarely). The multi-aspect sensor is a plus as well.

I kept the GH1, G1s are really cheap...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of in a similar dilemma. I only use the 20mm lens on my E-P1 and occasionally bring out a longer MF prime (like almost never). I really want the GH1 for better video, since I shoot a lot on the E-P1 and a lot of times the jitteriness with fast motion just bugs the hell out of me after editing (I shoot on stable surfaces and mini-tripods too).

But if I give up my E-P1 for a GH1 I honestly don't know how bad I'll miss the smaller size; (what seems) better OOC JPEGS; better noise control; image-stabilization; familiarization with Olympus cameras; and just a sexier, smaller, and sleeker looking body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianb032 View Post
    But if I give up my E-P1 for a GH1 I honestly don't know how bad I'll miss the smaller size; (what seems) better OOC JPEGS; better noise control; image-stabilization; familiarization with Olympus cameras; and just a sexier, smaller, and sleeker looking body.
    Those all seem like good reasons to keep the Oly. You'd want to make sure you'll get a lot of use out of your GH1 for video is you give up all those features in the E-PEN. Can you get both? You might find a good deal on a GH1 body and use it with the hacked software as a portable video camera, and use your PEN as your photo camera.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Those all seem like good reasons to keep the Oly. You'd want to make sure you'll get a lot of use out of your GH1 for video is you give up all those features in the E-PEN. Can you get both? You might find a good deal on a GH1 body and use it with the hacked software as a portable video camera, and use your PEN as your photo camera.
    Just bought the GH1. To be honest, it really isn't that much bigger than the E-P1. But big enough to where it won't fit with the 20mm in my quick-access MOLLE pouch I have hanging on the strap of my messenger bag or backpack. (Gonna' have to shop around for bigger MOLLE pouches. The original was mainly for goggles anyways.)

I can already tell it's a great camera with awesome video and good pictures, but my eyes are also telling me that I'm pretty spoiled with the default oly jpeg colors (post should do the trick though). However, 32MBps 1080/24p (w/ hack) is just jaw-dropping amazing and more than I was asking for (which isn't a bad thing). I can't keep both, so I'm selling the E-P1.

If Oly can somehow cram the video capabilities, autofocus, and oversized sensor of the GH1 in an E-P1 body one day, then I'll definitely sell the GH1 and buy an E-P-whatever all over again.
    Last edited by brianb032; 17th June 2010 at 11:17.

monkeyking

Yes, buy the GH1 w/14-140 lens now. Club Panasonic has reduced price to $1000.usd and refers to the GH1 as "discontinued".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richie15 View Post
    The banding issues is a bit more of a problem, I have found a used GH1 with this being purchased new in March 2010, so hopefully its the latest batch. Is the banding apparent across all ISO?
    I was just reading up on this issue, and ran across what people are reporting as a way to greatly minimize or completely eliminate the banding issue. They're suggesting a 'burn-in' of sorts - leaving the camera turned on for a few days at high ISO and in movie mode with the lens cap on. Everyone who's tried it has reported an improvement in banding, and there's speculation about some sort of coating on the sensor that causes the banding, and which gets burned off once the sensor gets warm for a period of time.

I'm going to try it and see if I can detect any difference.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dragos, That is a fascinating hypothesis. Given the fact that the sensor is sealed tight, where would the "burned up" material go?

My major issue with the NMOS sensor is that among all the digital cams I have used thus far, these (E410, G1) have the most number of hot pixels. Unlike in the E-410, Pana have found a way to mask it or smear/spread it (I don't know how to describe what is happening) via software.

This is the reason why I would like to see better quality NMOS sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Dragos, That is a fascinating hypothesis. Given the fact that the sensor is sealed tight, where would the "burned up" material go?
    I can't claim I understand the hypothesis either, so I dismissed it as well (felt for completeness I should at least report what they're saying), but I'm intrigued by the actual results people are reporting, so I figured why not? Other than a before and after photo it won't take up any of my time, so I'll give it a try.
    -Dragos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Intriguing, indeed. Let us know what you get.

With the G1s, with increased long shutter time use, I only find increased number of hot pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Intriguing, indeed. Let us know what you get.
    24 hours to go. I took an interim image so I'll have a beginning, a middle, and an end to see if there's any change during the process. The body feels slightly warm-ish after 24 hours of being constantly on, but I don't smell any film being burned off
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: fixed the Flickr problems. Looks like their new interface ain't working. Anyway, back to this:

Here's the test results (GH1+20/1.7 @ISO3200 f/5.6 @1/50s; 100% crop). Not sure what to make of the results. I'm looking at the first and last shots to compare, and it kinda looks like less banding, but I don't know if I'm seeing things. Definitely looks like after 48 hours of the sensor being constantly on in movie mode the sensor got warm and noisy (to be expected). Let me know what you guys see.

Time: 0 hours (start of test):

Time: 24 hours (middle of test):

Time: 48 hours (end of test):

Time: 50 hours (after cool-down period):
    Last edited by photoSmart42; 30th June 2010 at 08:43.
    -Dragos

richie15

Hi

Interesting to see how this thread has developed and still watching it with interest

Anyway, whilst very happy with the sharpness and res I am finding the AWB a problem. With FD lenses in particular the images are looking washed out, I have read that you can adjust the AWB to create AWB+, I wondered how many users are doing this and if anyone else is using an alternative method of fixing white balance. I am not keen on carrying a grey card everywhere I go.

Post Thanks / Like

SECULINE is producing White Balance caps, that you can always have on your lens as a cap.

It costs you few seconds per session - to set WB manually using it:

http://www.interfitphotographic.com/...SA/Vivicap.php
    http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/429...-Lens-Cap.html
    http://www.rgb-photo.co.uk/cameras-l...-cap-62mm-p431

richie15

Thanks Jerry that looks like a good idea. What do they mean when they say take a reading towards the light source. Does that mean into the sun?

Post Thanks / Like

There are two approaches, both work for me, so you can experiment too:
    - light source, so - sky, window, lamp, etc.
    - frame content itself

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by richie15 View Post
    Hi

With FD lenses in particular the images are looking washed out, I have read that you can adjust the AWB to create AWB+, I wondered how many users are doing this and if anyone else is using an alternative method of fixing white balance.

If it is "washed out" that would indicate low contrast to me. What has WB got to do with?

Use an appropriately sized hood (factoring in the crop factor), avoid pointing the lens at light sources or use contrasty lenses.