Site Sponsors

Thread: GF1 with 430 EX

LucaP

GF1 with 430 EX

Hey guys,

First post! I have been looking at the 4/3's forum for quite a bit and took the jump and grabbed myself a GF1 I am replacing a Canon G9 which I also have the Canon 430 EX (not the mark II) and from my understanding the GF1 should be able to use the 430 EX with TTL however I'm having trouble getting it to "work."

I've had a look through the forums and can't really see an answer to my problem so I submitted a new thread.

The pictures I do take while the flash is attached, with the TTL mode (which the flash sets automatically when connected to the GF1) set on the flash and in forced on mode on my GF1 don't seem to alter the flash brightness at all.

Is the 430 EX compatible at all? is their some kind of special setting?

Thanks for help guys,

Luca

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GF1 with 430 EX

Luca,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm pretty sure the Canon is not compatible. Olympus flashes are pin-for-pin compatible and will allow TTL flash.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LucaP View Post
    Hey guys,

First post! I have been looking at the 4/3's forum for quite a bit and took the jump and grabbed myself a GF1 I am replacing a Canon G9 which I also have the Canon 430 EX (not the mark II) and from my understanding the GF1 should be able to use the 430 EX with TTL however I'm having trouble getting it to "work."

I've had a look through the forums and can't really see an answer to my problem so I submitted a new thread.

The pictures I do take while the flash is attached, with the TTL mode (which the flash sets automatically when connected to the GF1) set on the flash and in forced on mode on my GF1 don't seem to alter the flash brightness at all.

Is the 430 EX compatible at all? is their some kind of special setting?

Thanks for help guys,

Luca
    Canon flash units are ONLY compatible with Canon cameras and are not easily usable even manually with other cameras.

If you want TTL dedicated flash control, you need an Olympus/Panasonic dedicated flash unit. The Panasonic FL360 and FL500 units are identical to the Olympus FL36 and FL50; the later FL36R and FL50R are also fully compatible, as are the Metz units designed for Olympus DSLRs.

Canon flash cables are compatible with Olympus/Panasonic dedication, but that's just a matter of them having pins and wires in the same locations.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to follow up on what Godfrey said, the Oly flashes tend to be less expensive than the Panasonic counterparts.

Cheers,

RoyGBiv

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Just to follow up on what Godfrey said, the Oly flashes tend to be less expensive than the Panasonic counterparts.

Cheers,
    If I'm not mistaken, the Panasonic flash are simply re-branded.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Panasonic flash are simply re-branded.
    They are slightly different in styling too. Obviously made by the same company who makes them for Olympus, whomever that might be.

wonderer

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Canon flash units are ONLY compatible with Canon cameras .
    True (just like any other TTL flash)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    and are not easily usable even manually with other cameras.
    Not true. I have used my canon flashes in manual mode with a variety of different brands without any problem or difficulty (including Nikon, Panasonic 4/3rds, pentax ...)

So in short, you can use your 430EX with the GF1 in manual mode but not in TTL mode. For me that's perfectly fine since I use my canon flash in manual even on canon bodies. However if you need TTL then you need to use one of the dedicated flashes which have been suggested to you. Plus 430EX on GF1 will make a pretty top heavy setup with not a very desirable balance
    Last edited by wonderer; 27th May 2010 at 13:16.