The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Card speed for a G1

I need to get some larger (8 gig) cards for my G1 now I have found the advantage of shooting bursts of portraits.

Can someone give me a some pointers to what the designations of different cards mean. I see Crucial say they 'exceed 12x'. I saw a 133x Lexar.

When am I wasting my money on a card that accepts data faster than the G1 is pumping into it when I "burst" ?

Many thanks,

Tony

F

Fahim

I use a Sandisk 32GB Class 4 SDHC which says 15MB/Sec, and I can take about four/five photos is RAW mode, and continuous in JPEG mode. I'm using a GH1, but it should be same for G1 too.

I checked the card in my laptop, and the max write speed I got is 9.7MB. Now, I also tried a Patriot LX 32GB Class 10 card, which gave me the exact speed. So, I think you should go for the sandisk card, it is cheaper than most Class 10 card. I know it says Class 4, but real world write speed is close to 10MB.

Thanks Fahim,

My Crucial Class 2 card take a burst of five RAWs and then takes between 9 and 10 seconds before the buffer is written completely to the card.

Might you have time to see how long it takes your Sandisk Class 4 card to clear your five RAW's from the buffer?

Tony

D

DavidB

I use SanDisk Ultra 8GB ("15 MB/s", "Class 4") cards (cheap and reliable, bought at the local OfficeWorks store) in my G1.
On the G1 I can take a burst of 6 RAWs, followed by 10s before the buffer is completely written (note that you don't have to wait 10s before shooting more!). More than enough speed for my needs (my DSLRs use Extreme cards, but those files are huge, and I use those cameras for action).

According to the numbers in the DPR G1 review, an Extreme III card clears the buffer in around 7s, so there is a little room for improvement over the Ultra cards, but it's all a price/need trade-off.

"so there is a little room for improvement over the Ultra cards, but it's all a price/need trade-off"

That is the conclusion I am coming to after starting an identical thread on another forum. More staggering is the way the cards differ in price when you shop around.

Tony