Site Sponsors

Thread: C-mount adapters

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C-mount adapters

After having settled on a few most used c-mount lenses, I have semi permanently fixed them to their respective adapters.

So, now I find myself out of any c-mount adapters. I did order a few (one among them a Hawk adapter).

While doing so, I find that there a dozen or more vendors (eBay) with prices that are wildly variable. Some of them have descriptions (and pics) that look exactly like Hawk or RJ adapters.

So, I seeking experiences among the forum folks as to the quality and prices of these.

Criteria being:

1. Does the adapter you use work?

2. What is the cheapest one that is still usable?

TIA!

mjohnston

Re: C-mount adapters

I got the Kipon from Photo Gear Etc. for $32. Great price - they're an official distributor.

Post Thanks / Like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120556786064

shipment for me still pending - looks like an HAWK. Cheapest ever
    seen...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250627539821 Got 2 of those working fine - for the smaller barrels, if Lens doesn't need machining

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Kipon one as well. It's a two-piece design which may be an advantage to what you're trying to do, and it's quite thin, so it adapts a larger range of lenses and/or minimizes the machining required to make lenses fit.

As an alternative, you can use m4/3 body caps to make make-shift adapters for your lenses using the epoxy solution. I've started experimenting with that solution (made a m4/3-to-FD adapter) successfully, so I'm encouraged that I could use that for my C-mount lenses as well.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hell View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120556786064

shipment for me still pending - looks like an HAWK. Cheapest ever
    seen...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250627539821 Got 2 of those working fine - for the smaller barrels, if Lens doesn't need machining

Good luck
    Same here (the first link). Not sure it is a Hawk adapter clone.

The second link (the same seller or something similar) sucks. The one I got was c-mount as well as m42. For both it is not useful. I added a Leitz focus thingy using the m42 threads to use some macro lenses.

Just for clarification- I have been using c-mount adapters since the very first one showed up- that being from Wolfgang Rabe. This is way before Hawk's adapter (which was the first affordable one) hit the markets.

I was a bit surprised to find c-mount adapters ranging from $9 to $65 and upwards being sold currently.

Hence the inquiry.

Thanks for everyone for their responses!

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite has been the Hawk C5 type one so far. That one is rather thin which is helpful for the lenses with the focus ring very close to the adaptor.

Vivek, I hope you don't mind if I add a question here: Are there any good ones out there that rotate so that you can get the focus scale on top or - more importantly - get them right when using a lens with tripod mount or bellows? Thanks,

Stefan

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the fotodiox adapters - I ordered 5 recently and they all look good (c-mount,Oly Pen, and Canon FD)

I also purchased an Exakta to m4/3 from Rainbowimaging (Ebay) - it also is good, and very quick delivery

I try to steer a mid ground between low cost and quality.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word on the RJ adaptor (jinfinance) - that stopscrew he uses gets loose and I just had the nasty experience that one screw disappeared WITHIN my GH1 after it was first stuck under the lens release lever!! I told him that just to hear that "no-one yet complained". A time-bomb I would say!

And then it also turned out that my batch (ca 10 I bought from him for my various lenses) also had a problem with a not deep enough groove for that lens lock pin, so the camera reports "lens not properly mounted" and refuses to work.

They will be sent back to him for exchange, so I'm also looking for better ones which work for infinity (some don't) and have secure lock screws or sth else!

Anyone else had that??

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No such worries at all!

I bought one when it showed up and had problem with infinity with a lens (turned out the adapter was OK) and when I said that to Rong Jin, he sent me a trimmed adapter.

I paid full price for the adapter.

Not sure if you negotiated and bought at any "bulk prices".

Post Thanks / Like

Rong Jin has modified them a bit, this is why they are blank aluminum inside, since some 1/10th were trimmed off. Infinity is fine now. BUT my concerns were these little stop screws on the side which need to be secured (a drop of screw-lock Loctite would help)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hawk's latest version c-mount adapter appears to be the best by far. The RJ adapter isn't bad either.

The cheap one with pics and dimensions copied from Hawk's adapter are crap. They don't even mount on a G1 snugly.

There is a chrome plated brass adapter being sold for ~$30. This is useless as the rear is also shiny metallic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hawk's latest version c-mount adapter appears to be the best by far. The RJ adapter isn't bad either.
    And Hawk's latest, is that the

C5 type TV Bolex C mount to M4/3 M43 Micro 4/3 G1 GH1 or the
    TV Bolex W1 C to M4/3 Micro 4/3 (ROBOT OLYMPUS PEN)

I guess you are thinking of the C5? Among the different C-mount --> 4/3 adapters I have the Kipon one is also good and similar to Hawk's C5.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C5 type TV Bolex C mount to M4/3 M43 Micro 4/3 G1 GH1
    That is the one. I bought it directly from him.

As far as I know this is the only c-mount adapter that has a 1mm "step". This allows for mounting some lenses (with infinity focus) that are difficult with any other c-mount adapter out there.

Post Thanks / Like

That is the one. (...)
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Now all we need is a source for micro 4/3rds bayonet caps.

duckrider

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Now all we need is a source for micro 4/3rds bayonet caps.
    no problem, here they are for little money:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/F-Olympus-LR-2-BC...item53e1974e11

kind regards
    Thomas

edlamps

I have read so much but am still confused! I have a couple of cheap c-mount lenses for my GF1 and an RJ adapter.

With both lenses focused to infinity they focus to less than 6".

I really would rather buy a new adapter than start machining these lenses. Also, this is all just a test for me before I splash out on a nice Switar or Soligor or similar. Do you think the Kipon adapter would suit me better? Any advice? Thanks!
    Last edited by edlamps; 30th June 2010 at 01:56.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are no m4/3rds to c-mount adapters that will permit those lenses (that you show) to reach infinity.

If you want to use these lenses as is, get a NEX to c-mount adapter and use them on a Sony NEx cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Edlamps

Hi!
    I suspect these are not C-mount lenses but are CS mount lenses. Vendors seldom differentiate. They focus 5mm shorter than the C mount lenses. Great for macro! But 5mm will mean a lot of Dremel work!!! Probably not feasible at all?

Sorry to bring bad news?

edlamps

Vivek and Pat, thank you so much.

It is bad news - and I'm saddened and embarrassed to have been duped not once but twice!

So you think they're CS-mount lenses? This is a new one on me. I won't be able to lie on ebay when I re-sell them, but I do wonder if they're of any use to anybody...

They weren't so expensive, about 40 down the drain but your replies at least give me some hope for when I have saved up enough for a decent lens.

Cheers!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Edlamps, I never said that they are cs mount lenses!

The problem (as I see it) is the mount not being able to fit inside a c-mount adapter due to physical limitations in the case of the lens on the left. It appears that the right lens' rear would protrude too much in to the cam.

I (and others) can verify them to be c-mount lenses if you would care to tell us what they are!

edlamps

Thanks, Vivek. Why didn't I think of that!?

The left one is a Computar TV Lens 12.5mm f1.3
    Just got this two days ago from Surplus Shed in the mighty USA
    http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3943.html
    and it definitely says 'C-Mount'!!

The right one is also Computar, an 8mm f1.3 which I got from eBay for pennies.

So, to achieve infinity focus do I not want them to protrude further into the camera body then? Isn't this what machining does? I'm doubly confused now. hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

The Computar 12.5/1.3 is definitely C-mount - I have one along with the Cosmicar version. They do require some modification to the mount to make them fit the adapter, but it's honestly not that major. Just some grinding around the base by a few millimeters here and there. Different amounts of machining are required based on the adapter you have.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

edlamps

OK, thanks guys.

What is the best method for grinding (without damaging) the lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edlamps View Post
    What is the best method for grinding (without damaging) the lenses?
    Take off the rear mount if you can, then machine it. The Cosmicar and the Computar lenses have 3 screws on the rear mount you can take out (make sure you don't lose them) to remove the mount. You can also use that to align the mount correctly to the m4/3 camera body so you can see the lens markings. Ideally you should do your machining on a lathe, but with some patience you can do it by hand.
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

The lens on the right has a rear element which protudes too far beyond the rear mount (the silver part of your lens) to make it usable on m4/3. I don't think you would be able to make it focus very far without the rear element blocking the camera's shutter mechanism.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the C5 adaptor from Hawk and noticed that the outside is that smooth (or lacks any grip) that it can hardly be taken off if mounted on my GH1. Similar experiences?
    Last edited by kds315; 1st July 2010 at 07:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kds315 View Post
    Got the C5 adaptor from Hawk and noticed that the outside is that smooth (or lacks any grip) that it can hardly be taken off if mounted on my GH1. Similar experiences?
    Same with my Kipon adapter. That's why they included the adapter removal tool with their adapter. I don't mind the lack of grip that much because it means they've shaved as much depth as possible in order to fit most lenses while maintaining some semblance of mechanical rigidity.
    -Dragos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kds315 View Post
    It looked a bit worrying when I received it. Especially since he shows two versions (eBay) and shipped the plain one to me.

I do not have problems with mounting/dismounting on my G1s (each cam has a slight tolerance variance but the C5 adapter still is manageable with all).

[I must admit that I have been tinkering around with adapters on the G1s ever since beginning and have one bad experience (none of the current adapters) with a Pana WV CCTV cam adapter that ripped a few lens contacts off. So, it is fair to say that I am fully aware of the fragility of the m4/3rds mount]

edlamps

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Ideally you should do your machining on a lathe, but with some patience you can do it by hand.
    What if I don't know anyone with a metal-grade lathe? What's the best tool with which I can achieve the same result?

Post Thanks / Like

What if I don't know anyone with a metal-grade lathe? What's the best tool with which I can achieve the same result?
    I used a file, it took about 30 minutes of contemplating and filing at the kitchen table to make the Computar 12.5/1.3 fit the adapter. A vernier caliper came to use before grinding; measure the adapter and the rear end of the lens and then make a mark around the rear end so you know how far to grind it down.

The result won't be as nice to look at but it works just as well (and when the lens is mounted you can't see anything of the work anyway.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Dremel. I don't have access to a lathe either for the moment. If I continue experimenting with camera mounts and accessories, I may consider getting a hobby lathe.
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

Computar 12.5mm, 1.3; 25mm, 1.3; 50mm, 1.3; 75mm,1.4 lenses all fit the "MS Optical m4/3 to C-mount adapter"* without any alteration...

* available @ Japan Exposures website
    Last edited by Y.B.Hudson III; 3rd July 2010 at 09:31.

edlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Y.B.Hudson III View Post
    Computar 12.5mm, 1.3; 25mm, 1.3; 50mm, 1.3; 75mm,1.4 lenses all fit the "MS Optical m4/3 to C-mount adapter"* without any alteration...
    That's interesting! But with every answer arises more questions... I had a look on the website & there's both 'S' & 'L' versions - should I assume you're talking about the 'S(mall)' version?

Also, it's quite expensive - is it worth spending that much on getting the Computar to work when ultimately I am saving up for my dream c-mount lens? (Or will this adapter be worth it for any future lens purchases too?)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is my personal opinion that it is waste of cash to spend several times the price of a lens on an adapter.

Edlamps, See: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12893

Use a key file. Even I can do it. Real simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Two adapters, radically different prices

On the left, a c-mount adapter from a company called, Harper Logistics Ltd out of Hong Kong. On the right, an RJ Camera Adapter.
    Cost of the RJ was $38.00 plus shipping.
    Cost of the other one, $7.99 and no shipping.
    Differences:
    The RJ is thinner, narrower and fits slightly better. It also has only 1/2 the c-mount thread depth. The other adapter is more robust, but has a tad of circular play when attached.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I believe the MS Optical thingy costs a few times that of RJ.

edlamps

I believe the MS Optical thingy costs a few times that of RJ.
    Indeed - 81.82 plus shipping from Japan, which works out at 3.15 (for untracked, uninsured airmail to Europe) to 11.26 (insured and trackable).

Post Thanks / Like

no sympathy for those who didn't join in the revolution of 1776...and now have to pay an exorbitant value added tax I have about 10 lenses with the computar mount... My first was a successful conversion, the second, was a failure. So I bought the MS Optical for USD $100... If I amortize the cost over the 10 lenses and include labor saved and replacement costs for the mucked up mounts, the adapter more than paid for it self.

It was Later I discovered that the computar mount (with out conversion mutilation) could be used on the RJ adapter, by simply removing the helicoil stop screw. I still use the MS optical, because it is cute, and looks good in camera porn shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two adapters, radically different prices

Hi Rich. Which seller gave you a m43 adapter for 7.99/- Cheapest I can find is 16/- on ebay. No one seems to have free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    On the left, a c-mount adapter from a company called, Harper Logistics Ltd out of Hong Kong. On the right, an RJ Camera Adapter.
    Cost of the RJ was $38.00 plus shipping.
    Cost of the other one, $7.99 and no shipping.
    Differences:
    The RJ is thinner, narrower and fits slightly better. It also has only 1/2 the c-mount thread depth. The other adapter is more robust, but has a tad of circular play when attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two adapters, radically different prices

Quote Originally Posted by zcream View Post
    Hi Rich. Which seller gave you a m43 adapter for 7.99/- Cheapest I can find is 16/- on ebay. No one seems to have free shipping.
    Mistake, and a fluke, I should have been charged shipping. I don't know why I wasn't. But still, $16.00 is a lot less than $38.00 plus shipping.

retnull

Just received the "SUPER THIN C mount Lens to Micro 4/3 adapter E-P1 GF1"
    from Eday seller "henry-digital", it was $16 shipped to US. Working great. It's much thinner, lighter, and less visible than other adapters I've seen (I have the RJ model as well.)

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Super Thin Henry adapter a copy of the MS Optical ?

Also, Hudson, did you manage to use the Computar 50mm 1.3 with the MS Optical without machining ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Fujian 35mm + GH1

f = 2.8 ... for f = 1.7 it's too bright ... ISO100, t<1/4000 !

Last edited by hot; 9th March 2011 at 04:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Hot, are you able to get your Fujian lens to fit with that m4/3 adapter on your GH1? I have a Fujinon 35mm f1.7 lens, but the barrel of the lens is too wide to fit with that adapter. I've been considering picking up a thin-profile adapter to see if it will fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Above adapter fits ... with 0.0000 mm distance free. But fits 1a for Fujian 25mm/1.4

For 35mm I use another adapter which fits fine

Some 3D pictures from today - with Fujian 35mm/1.7 and Lumix G1

Post Thanks / Like

Lumix G1 + Fujian 35mm/1.7

Post Thanks / Like

@zcream... "Is the Super Thin Henry adapter a copy of the MS Optical ?"

-No. But the Super Thin Henry-digital adapter is actually one of my favorites, alongside HawksFactory's (Hawk Peng's) C5-type adapter. The MS Optical has an inner ring that can be adjusted (rotated) to achieve upright focus indication.

Here's a review I wrote of a few adapters (including the MS Optical and HawksFactory C5) with observations: http://www.flickr.com/groups/c-mount...7625124961615/