The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the G2

Y.B.Hudson III

Iced cubed...All three cameras were shot in the with out lens mode...*

* m4/3 bodies inadvertently turned out to be superior platforms for interesting, though problematic "manual focus glass" from other formats... I find the performance of m4/3 AF glass to be slow and disappointing...

Jonas

* m4/3 bodies inadvertently turned out to be superior platforms for interesting, though problematic "manual focus glass" from other formats... I find the performance of m4/3 AF glass to be slow and disappointing...
That must be something which depends on what you compare to, and what you expected.

I find my G1 working better than expected. The AF is slow (but not slooow) compared to the Pentax and Canon cameras I have owned, but there is nothing wrong with the precision (when compared). When looking at my images very critically at pixel resolution I think the AF nails it about 7-8 times out of ten. No jewels needed. The rest of them aren't bad unless I missed something when taking the image and the AF misses completely.

The only µ4/3 lens I own is the Panasonic G20/1.7. Mechanically I totally dislike it. Optically it is better than I expected (that is with the half good, half bad bokeh, the flare and the behaviour under strong UV light I have been informed about included) it to be.

If you want a camera autofocusing correctly at running horses µ4/3 is the wrong system, and has never been the right system.

Y.B.Hudson III

manual focus @ f/1.0 /ISO 800 / 1/400 sec. works for me at night rodeos...with m4/3.

I like the look, but I am up against the systems technical limits.

switar 26mm @ 1.1±, m4/3 ...:rolleyes:

Jonas

manual focus @ f/1.0 /ISO 800 / 1/400 sec. works for me at night rodeos...with m4/3.

(image)
That's a nice image, well taken and processed. But yes, several of us are up against the limits (in different ways).
I would like a LIVE FF camera. The in-betweens don't interest me. I guess it's just a few years of waiting and in the mean-time µ4/3 can do pretty good things.

V

Vivek

switar 26mm @ 1.1±, m4/3 ...:rolleyes:
Simply awesome! :thumbs::clap:

*What good is the system if you don't push it?;)

ricseet

14-140 vs 14-150 on G2

Terry could you please advise the AF speed is the same for the 2 lenses. I am using the 14-150/GH1 and the AF is slower.

Thanks for your confirmation

ric

Yes, it actually works just all of the m4/3 cameras (with a 4/3 - m4/3 adapter). It has had CDAF support from the beginning.

Godfrey

I met up with Terry yesterday so I could see the G2 for a little bit and test it with my Olympus FourThirds SLR lenses (the 11-22 and 35 Macro specifically). Pleased to report that it focuses both accurately (if not quickly).

From the time I had playing with it, the control re-organization works well, the touch screen control is quite useful, and it is otherwise much the same as the G1 (which I'm by no means done with, it's still doing excellent work for me :). I think it's worth the cost of acquiring the G2, even disregarding the motion capture potential.

Since no post on a new product can ever be totally rosy in this internet world, well, I'd have been happy if they completely eliminated the Film Mode selector ... I never use it ... rather than dedicating the left arrow button to it rather than focus pattern choices. But since I hardly change those either (I just leave the camera in face detect mode nearly all the time on AF) what I'd really have preferred is if they left the center knob of the new AF mode/focus mode rotary switch pair as AFS/AFC/MF and the outer lever for FD/CW/Pattern/Spot pattern modes. That might have been a little easier on my fingers.

But it's really no matter, my fingers will learn what to do.

S

Sandiman

Do any of you use Elements 8 for your imaging? The reason I ask is that despite spending a couple of days trying I can't get it to accept the raw files from my G2.

I have been on to the adobe Tech Help and although they said "No problem Sir we can sort this for you" they could not get it to work. In the end they said "That G2 and elements don't" This was despite their website saying that Elements 8 version 6.1 was the way to go with the G2.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

T

tobler

I do not own a G1 but from all the pictures I see, G1 blue is grey blue but G2 blue is metallic blue. You can see purple and blue on different angle.

About the adapter, I find it very easy to turn and focus, i got it from ebay seller shamino123. I use a gf1 before with this lens and have great result. G2 is even easier to MF with touch screen, I tap the point on lcd which I want to focus and it will automatically zoom in, adjust focus ring with lcd or evf and press shutter. I am enjoying it so far.

kuau

Workshop Member
Terry and Carl, since you have owned both the G1 and now the G2, do you see any increase in overall IQ when shooting base ISO and RAW?
Also is the EVF better then the G1?
Thanks
Steven

scho

Terry and Carl, since you have owned both the G1 and now the G2, do you see any increase in overall IQ when shooting base ISO and RAW?
Also is the EVF better then the G1?
Thanks
Steven
Steven,

I haven't noticed any big IQ differences between G1 and G2, except that starting colors of raw G2 images in LR seem to have more "punch" than G1 had. I don't know if this is due to the new G2 processor or a difference in the camera profiles that I've been using in LR. G2 ergonomics are much nicer when shooting MF lenses.

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks Carl,
Ever since I ditched my 35mm FF DSLR and went MF, I really like the 4:3 format,
I had a GF1 for a few months but never could get use to the optional EVF and I could never compose using the rear display outdoors, so I am now thinking G1, G1H, or G2.
On paper, the GH1 scored the best of any 4:3 camera at DXO what ever that means.
Curious what are some of the top performing MF lenses on the G2? I assume you have to use an adaptor.

Steven

scho

Thanks Carl,
Ever since I ditched my 35mm FF DSLR and went MF, I really like the 4:3 format,
I had a GF1 for a few months but never could get use to the optional EVF and I could never compose using the rear display outdoors, so I am now thinking G1, G1H, or G2.
On paper, the GH1 scored the best of any 4:3 camera at DXO what ever that means.
Curious what are some of the top performing MF lenses on the G2? I assume you have to use an adaptor.

Steven
There are many fine legacy lenses that perform quite well on m43 cameras. I like the Contax G lenses (particularly the two planars, 35 and 45), some of the longer leica M mount lenses, Canon FD, Olympus Pen F, etc., etc. There are many threads in this forum describing user experiences with various legacy lenses. There used to be a sticky thread at the beginning of this forum devoted to adapters of all types, but it seems to have been removed.

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Carl,
Thanks for the info, any advice on the wide side using legacy lenses? I would like a 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm equivalent.

Steven

Terry

Steven as to G1 vs. G2 agree with Carl the colors seem different and more punchy. I'm using LR defaults and haven't made any custom profiles. I haven't compared the high ISOs. They added one extra stop but not sure what changed between the 1600 and 3200 stops.

scho

Carl,
Thanks for the info, any advice on the wide side using legacy lenses? I would like a 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm equivalent.

Steven
I think at the wide end you are probably better off using modern, native m43 wide lenses that are properly designed and distortion corrected. Most of the RF wides do not perform well on m43 resulting in soft corners at best and more often severe edge smearing and distortion.