The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the G2

kuau

Workshop Member
Steven as to G1 vs. G2 agree with Carl the colors seem different and more punchy. I'm using LR defaults and haven't made any custom profiles. I haven't compared the high ISOs. They added one extra stop but not sure what changed between the 1600 and 3200 stops.
Thanks Terry,
So IYHO would you say as of today, the G2 produces the best over IQ of any of the m43 cameras out there when shooting at base ISO?

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
I think at the wide end you are probably better off using modern, native m43 wide lenses that are properly designed and distortion corrected. Most of the RF wides do not perform well on m43 resulting in soft corners at best and more often severe edge smearing and distortion.
Carl,
so basically the best options are either the 7-14mm zoom or the less expensive 9-18mm from olympus?

steven

Z

Ziggie

Does anyone know if the G2 will autofocus the following Olympus 4/3 lenses when used with the Olympus adapter:

14-35mm zoom
35-100mm zoom
150mm prime

It is my understanding that autofocus support for Olympus lenses has been improved beyond just the most recent lenses that support contrast detection focus. However I'm not sure if all lenses are supported. Also if the camera will autofocus the above lenses and anyone has any personal experience do they focus reeeeeal slow, like several seconds, or is it more like a second or two? Thanks.

Last edited:

RichA

Picked up a G2 kit at Gatwick Airport on Friday evening and, so far, not much time to play with it - and the weather here in Western Scotland is awful today.

However, a few thoughts on its physical characteristics :

- Unlike some others, I never had any problems with the coating peeling on the G1 but the coating on the G2 is quite different and less "sticky" than the G1 (which I liked a lot). Overall the G2 feels more "plasticy" than the G1;

- the 14-42 kit lens definitely feels much cheaper than the 14-45 lens supplied with the G1. I don't like the plastic mount.

- Some of the buttons seem to operate less smoothly.

I believe that Panasonic have taken some cost out of the new model - and that is reflected in build quality.
That, and the joy of knowing it's Chinese-made instead of Japanese, but the quality more or less shows that for what it is. The salaries of the workers there are about 10x less than the Japanese so why isn't the G2 about $300?