The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

convince me a gf-1/ep-2/ep-1 can replace my leica M

gallery7

well, staying on top of film is a big chore on my end and i have been pondering retiring the m for something in the micro 4/3 line.

(actually my lovely wife bought me my m6 so i will be selling something else and putting the m6 into semi-retirement)

i don't need much convincing in the image department as i am sure the cameras mentioned are up to my rather low-fi standards. where i am uncertain is in the durability and the hard nocks department. without boring you with the details i often find myself in "dicey" shooting conditions. i mean i am not going to drag it behind the car or nothing but deserts and jungles are a distinct possibility.

so, how have your m4/3 cameras been holding up? any heavy daily users out there? anyone given one a real hard workout?

thanks for the input!

V

Vivek

gallery7, First off, if you have a newly bought M6, don't worry about m4/3rds
and make use of the wonderful cam you have.

I use a few G1s (everyday) but this is mostly for a city use. I just throw them along with a few lenses etc in my back pack. None of the cams have even straps.

V

Vivek

Well, you must keep in mind that the cams you list (gf-1/ep-2 you might add epl as well) have "optional" electronic view finders. The ep1 does not have a possibility to add one and you have to use it like a P/S cam.

Like this:

(snapped with an Epson R-D1s and a 40/2)

The G1/GH1/G2 have built in EVFs and a very useful swivel LCD screen.

gallery7

no evf for me. optical hot shoe finders and i am a happy fella! gf-1/ep-2 or ep-1... they will all end up with an optical finder on top.

V

Vivek

In that case, do not rule out the upcoming Sony NEX-5.

(Pana also might introduce a GF-2 with touch screen and voice commands soon)

gallery7

hmmm, will keep my eye open. for the interim i need to find a digital, competent compact. keeping on top of the film is becoming a major ordeal!!!

seakayaker

. . . . . one reason may be that you get to use all of your leica lenses that you already own with the addition of an adaptor to your new GF1 (or 4/3rds camera) . . . . .

Sample . . . . .

Grass with Bokeh

GF1 with Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar - Elmar 9cm f/4 -- ISO 100 -- f/4 -- 1/800 -- 9cm

Additional sample photos taken with older Leitz lens can be viewed at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157624088940569/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/72157624144406532/

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

V

Vivek

Dan (or any other Leica owner/user), Have you used the Leica Stemar on the G1 or m4/3rds?

seakayaker

Dan (or any other Leica owner/user), Have you used the Leica Stemar on the G1 or m4/3rds?
No I am not familiar with the camera/lens.

A quick search did show some literature and pictures it looked like it was a two lens (stereo) system. The camera and lens appear to be a collectors item and expensive when bought on the used marked.

Are the lens individual items? . . . . . are they a LTM (Screw Mount)?

Post a picture of them if you don't mind.

Life is Grand!

Dan

nugat

Wait till Photokina (September). Leica is supposed to show a new digicam, cheaper than M9, better than X1.

V

Vivek

No I am not familiar with the camera/lens.

A quick search did show some literature and pictures it looked like it was a two lens (stereo) system. The camera and lens appear to be a collectors item and expensive when bought on the used marked.

Are the lens individual items? . . . . . are they a LTM (Screw Mount)?

Post a picture of them if you don't mind.

Life is Grand!

Dan

What you found on the web (on Stemar- it is a lens not a camera) is the pretty much all the information I can give.

Are there any inexpensive Leica lenses ?

I don't own one. I have fondled a few. No pics. Sorry.

Brian S

The EP2 is a fun camera, takes most of the classic lenses with inexpensive adapters. Unless you are content with Hyperfocal Distance shooting or really good at scale focus, the EVF is a must. I just cannot get used to using the beautiful LCD for focus, the EVF feels more natural.

The M8 makes a better supplement to a film Leica, in my opinion. I am enjoying my M8, bought used for just over $2K.

I've had the EP2 for a month, and the M8 for 5 months. I've been using Leica RF's for 10 years and Nikon RF's for about 15 years. Had the CL out yesterday, and keep the M3 on the ready.

biglouis

Wait till Photokina (September). Leica is supposed to show a new digicam, cheaper than M9, better than X1.
They'd be nuts not to rebadge the GF-1 and create news lenses for it. But of course, you can rely on Leica to do something really nuts, like introduce yet another camera when they can barely keep up with the demand for the cameras they introduced last year.

To respond to the original question much as I do like my GF-1, there is no comparison in quality between, say my GF-1 and 20/1.7 versus my M8 and 28/2.8. However, the 20/1.7 is a fantastic lens in its own right and well worth owning a u4/3rd camera for, and the convenience of the 45/2.8 for macro is making me think of dumping my m 90/2.8. I am also far more likely to tote my GF-1 around with me than my M8, which although not as heavy as prosumer DSLR (say the D700) is still quite a lump.

Life is full of choices!

LouisB

Last edited:

djonesii

Workshop Member
IT CAN NOT.

I have owned an M6, own an Epson RD-1, G1, and EP-1.

There is no way that any DSLR/EVIL system can fully replace the rangefinder experience, it's about the range finder gestalt. Set hyperfocal distance on your lens, and get almost instant response, watch the subject come into frame snap it.

They can come close in functionality, they are more convenient, the image quality can be better, they are way cheaper, but that is not what the OP asked.

If you can run a Lieca M without looking, the only way to replace it is with a Leica M. At this time, I would even add, if you shot a lot with wides, the only way to replace it is with an M9.

Now ask me what I took to the last soccer banquet, it was the EP-1 with the 20mm Panasonic, it's just easier to use auto focus at an event. The RD-1 has been sitting a bit lately, but every time I think of selling it, I think of street shooting in NYC or Paris, and I decide that for the places it works best, the rangefinder paradigm is exceptional.

Just my 02 cents .... YMMV

Dave

gallery7

well gestalt is pretty low on my priority list. i need a decent manual focus interface, and reasonable size.

i worked on two m8's and my experience with leica USA for service was as terrible as one can imagine. i cannot accept being out my camera for months on end after owning it for 1 week. i also wouldn't dream of sinking the sort of dough an m9 costs into such a niche product with a spotty service record (in my opinion).

i can work for months on end with 1 focal length and 35mm seems to be the magic for me thus my interest in the new m4/3 crop of cameras. what i am really looking for is folks experience with less than savory conditions and the durability of these cameras? any input would be much appreciated!

Brian S

Okay- the EP2 is a really fun camera to use with old lenses. The Menu system is "too Much" and can get in the way of taking pictures. Switching between magnified view, Menu mode, Info mode, etc can take a little time. The M8 is "more to the point". Neither camera has given me any trouble.

Honestly, if you like film- why not stick with it. Pick up an EP2 for fun and using the manual focus lenses on it. As a full-time replacement, you could probably do it but there is a learning/frustration curve to overcome.