Site Sponsors

Thread: Lost about Panasonic models

Post Thanks / Like

Lost about Panasonic models

I'm a bit lost with all the different Panasonic models. I currently own the GF-1.

I'm shooting a friends wedding at the end of July and I am thinking about getting a second body. That way I can have the 20/1.7 on one body and my 45/2.8 on another. Given that I am more interested in the sensor than bells and whistles of the camera, am I right in thinking that a G1 is really no different to my GF-1 or indeed any of the other bodies?

Put another way, which G camera will give me the same quality as my GF-1?

TIA

Louis

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Lost about Panasonic models

G1 - same image quality as GF1 the original model

new models
    G2 - the follow-up camera. Just released about a month ago IQ basically the same with same sensor, goes 1 stop higher in ISO haven't seen side by side posting of files.
    G10 - new camera again same sensor should have same IQ of G2. Less bells and whistles cheaper EVF

video centric
    GH1- different sensor. Considered better than G1/GF1 by one stop. Unclear yet how it compares to G2/G10

Post Thanks / Like

Don't buy a G10 unseen.

The EVF is quite different.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I would also second a used good condition G1 as your second body. I can get much better focus (even with manual legacy lenses) on the G1 than on any other camera except a proper rangefinder. I can regularly dial in the focus to perfect on the G1 and I can't as reliably on any optical SLR screen.

I recently did a wedding with G1 and 35mm SLR (with 100mm f2.8 lens) and found that the G1 focus was more reliable but when I got it right that the 35mm was very lovely.

I happen to go for more shallow DoF however than others seem to prefer

of course nothing in the 4/3 can quite match full frame for that
    Last edited by pellicle; 13th June 2010 at 20:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry, Tony and Pellicle. Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to try and get a second hand G1. My other kit is Leica so you can guess how easy it is to make a purchase decision on a second body for my m4/3rds kit!

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    G2 - the follow-up camera. Just released about a month ago IQ basically the same with same sensor, goes 1 stop higher in ISO haven't seen side by side posting of files.
    You mean RAW or JPG?

Every time anyone says anything about high ISO - it should be mentioned - if it is about RAW or JPG.

Example? E-PL1 and G1 RAW files show exactly the same noise and details. But JPGs on high ISO look differently.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I think I am going to try and get a second hand G1. My other kit is Leica so you can guess how easy it is to make a purchase decision on a second body for my m4/3rds kit!

LouisB

Why would you buy an used G1? It is clear that you can afford a new G1.

Here, in the Netherlands, there are lots of new ones still offered (kit or body alone, etc) for 1/2 the introductory price (and about 1/2 the price of a G2).