Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Panasonic: A "Fly By Night" Camera Company?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic: A "Fly By Night" Camera Company?

Hi Vivek

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I would not mind seeing a 10/1.8 either.
    yeah ... that's why I'm pleased with my 21mm Oly on my full frame camera ... and it stays focused. I'm thinking of getting a Cosina / Voigtlander L with a 15mm (strictly for black and white negative and HIE) but I'm just not sure its worth it to me right now.

lets see how my income looks next month

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    some consideration of 'systems thinking' would be closer to 'rocket science', but duplicating each others kit lenses is pretty dam far from that view.
    Doesn't matter what analogy you use. The point is that it's not a simple matter of taking out a pre-determined sheet of lenses to be released in a pre-determined order, but goes far beyond that in market analysis, etc. As a rocket scientist and a former system engineer I can tell you there's no difference between the two. Rocket science is the layman term for systems engineering.

As for duplicating lenses, it should be noted that Panasonic and Olympus are two different and separate companies vying for the same market space, so there's no logic that forces them to offer different products. Just because they're signatories on the same format specification doesn't mean they don't compete against each other. They work together to advance the format as a whole, but have no obligations outside of that.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    Hi Vivek

yeah ... that's why I'm pleased with my 21mm Oly on my full frame camera ... and it stays focused. I'm thinking of getting a Cosina / Voigtlander L with a 15mm (strictly for black and white negative and HIE) but I'm just not sure its worth it to me right now.

lets see how my income looks next month
    Hi P,

I have enjoyed the 15/4.5 on Bessa-L for color positives (Fuji Provia to be exact) and negatives.

I tend to press my Leica CL for these now (though anything with film sees very little action nowadays).

I have used the Cosina 15 and 21 for near UV (not near IR) with a rear mounted filter on B&W film. I have loads of Techpan and others but no HIE.

Perhaps, I should sell some of these to fund my m4/3rds gear (G2, 14/2.5, 8/3.5....)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    As for duplicating lenses, it should be noted that Panasonic and Olympus are two different and separate companies vying for the same market space, so there's no logic that forces them to offer different products. Just because they're signatories on the same format specification doesn't mean they don't compete against each other. They work together to advance the format as a whole, but have no obligations outside of that.
    That's been my thought. In duplication of lenses, if someone buying an Oly cam wanted a zoom lens in range of 14-45 and they didn't have one, then the customer might buy the Panny version (Or might not buy an m4/3rds Oly at all). Oly loses a sale-- just example, but both feel they need the lenses they think their customers want and are never going to depend on the competing mfg to supply them. To believe that competing mfg, even if they share a format, are going to just fill in each others holes in lens range aren't being realistic about the business world IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

we arent simply talking of a single kit lens though are we. We can list every lens and see a Panasonic counterpart, and for lenses they dont have at Olympus, the intent is to produce them. There is almost zero variation by lens type

http://www.photographyblog.com/image...43roadmap1.jpg
    http://www.photographyblog.com/image...0_lenses_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

we arent simply talking of a single kit lens though are we. We can list every lens and see a Panasonic counterpart, and for lenses they dont have at Olympus, the intent is to produce them. There is almost zero variation by lens type
    OK, but again, so what? That's their business decision, and it makes sense for both companies to try and maximize profits from all areas of camera system development - cameras, lenses, accessories. Even if there's overlap in focal length and f-stop, there are differences in lens quality, manufacture, and pricing, so those are differentiators. It gives consumers options while addressing each company's marketing strategy.

Canon and Nikon have lots of overlapping lenses as well, as do most camera and lens manufacturers. If those are the lenses the market demands, then that's what they're going to produce. The fact that two or more camera manufacturers share the same mount format doesn't make any difference.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am with Riley on the "marketting".

Who is for better high ISO low noise and higher DR in lieu of touch scream?

Who wants really useful "system" flashes?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.photographyblog.com/image...43roadmap1.jpg
    http://www.photographyblog.com/image...0_lenses_2.jpg
    I used the kit lens as example. I do think each will want their own lens lineup whatever that is as they see it for their projected marketing groups.

Post Thanks / Like

well as Jonas aptly points out
    they left the part of the group we could call 'enthusiasts' behind with those decisions

Post Thanks / Like

me
    not me, but then I mainly use flash in studio lighting ... Canon burnt that desire out of me with the change from TTL to E-TTL and the non compatibility of my flash 430-EZ system with the digital EOS. Now I use older style flash

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Riley on the "marketting".

I don't see it should be either or. I can take both.

Of course. Maybe they also could fix the poor shielding causing banding from some radiopoppers. (Hmm, maybe it is fixed in G2? I should check this)