Site Sponsors

Thread: Eye cup for GF1 viewfinder

Post Thanks / Like

Eye cup for GF1 viewfinder

I'm shooting a summer beach project with the GF1. The LCD is, of course, useless. But even the accessory viewfinder is washed out by strong sunlight. I'm thinking one of those funnel eye cups might help. Does the rubber viewfinder liner slip off? If so, can anyone recommend an eye piece that will fit? Thanks.

John

veloman

Re: Eye cup for GF1 viewfinder

John,I too had to fit an eye-cup to my old, but trustfull, Olympus E500.As I got older my eye sight got more intolerant to bright light, and in concequence it effected my ability to hold focus when shooting in manual.(which is my preferred way)I had a few eye-cups left over from my old Olympus OM1s.A little tabletop filing and grinding got me a good pressure fit.Hope this helps.It has really changed my ability to focus in a big way,there is no side leakage of light only the subject surrounded by black. Regards Arwyn

Last edited by veloman; 21st June 2010 at 09:48.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a Hoodman loupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. The Hoodman approach doesn't appeal to me. I expect there are rubber hoods that will fit, but I'm not sure if the rubber around the GF1 viewfinder window slips off. I tried, but it seems resistant and I don't want to damage it.

John

Post Thanks / Like

If you flip up the VF there's a small retaining screw underneath - I haven't tried to remove it though due to fear of not being able to replace it afterwards. And who knows what gonna jump off and get lost!

You may be braver!