The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problems with Wide Lenses - Summary

zcream

Hi Vivek. ATM I only have a GH1 with 20mm pancake. I have ordered a Zeika Nominar 25mm 0.95, a Navitar 25mm 0.95 and a gaggle of C-mount lenses from the US and UK to test.
Interestingly enough, my friend in Texas who is forwarding my mail is also called Vivek.
I live in Australia so its a long wait for mail. I started this thread to organize my research into lenses, and I will post here as soon as the lenses are with me.

zcream

I think this is what RichA commented on.
Fujinon CF 12.5 HA-1
12.5 mm / 1.4
C-Mount
Heavy edge shading - not for full-field
use.
Very Sharp!
Recommended

However, the edge shading means vignetting, and I am hoping the Computar 12.5mm f1.3 has less vignetting than this lens.

V

Vivek

However, the edge shading means vignetting, and I am hoping the Computar 12.5mm f1.3 has less vignetting than this lens.
zcream, I asked you about photos for a specific reason. I take it that you did not read my post (post #5 here).

Fujinon-TV 12.5/1.4 (filter thread 52mm) covers the frame better than the Computar 12.5/1.3 than ever could.

Even a modified Fujinon-TV 12.5 (complete illumination of the frame) has problems.

I would reiterate what I said earlier. Wait for the Pana 14/2.5 or buy the Oly-D 17/2.8 to use.

f6cvalkyrie

As probably none of the c-mount lenses in the WA department will cover the sensor with sufficient corner image quality, you might either do as Vivek suggests, or just buy the Panasonic 7-14

C U
Rafael

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Has anyone experimented with 6.5mm lenses ? There are a few different ones - from f1.4 to f1.8 available on 2/3 and 1-inch sensors. I just bought a Computar 12.5m f1.3 lens from ebay.
I have the Pentax 6.5/1.8 fixed focus. A fun lens to use if you are a Holga type photographer.

Keith

Riley

this is the same problem with four thirds, you are really left to the native lenses for WA/UWA

zcream

12.5mm lenses f1.3 or f1.4 lenses.
Bit confusing, but there are
Computar, Cosmicar/Pentax, Fuji/Fujinon,

Last edited:

zcream

SUCCESS.
At the Google spreadsheet for GF1 compatible lenses, the only wide angle that works is the 8mm f1.8 Weinberger used by Solomon Chase. I researched this lens, and it turns out that it is specially made for a High-G (shock/vibration) environment such as an aircraft/car crash testing etc.
Most of these lenses are made for a 26mm diagonal sensor, with enough coverage for a m4/3 in 16:9.
I found a list of these sensors here..
http://home.earthlink.net/~visinst/Lenses.html
Here is someone who adapted one such lens to the GF1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinegon/3909413131/

The wide lenses that should work are :-
Kinoptik Hyge Lenses with Caged Supports
S00681* 9.8mm Tega, f/1.8, fixed focus

Also, the Weinberger High-G 8mm f1.8 that Solomon tested.

Others that may work are :-
Paragon Hyge Lenes with Caged Supports

S00534 5.5mm f/1.5 fixed focus
S00535 7.5mm f/1.5 fixed focus
S00618 10.0mm f/1.5 fixed focus
S00536 13.0mm f/1.5 fixed focus,

I found that 7.5mm f1.5 lens and it has a 4-hole flange mount. Its being shipped to me, so I will test and let you know.

Last edited:

Pat Donnelly

Zcream

Hi!
Well done! Never take no for an answer! You sound like a thoroughly obdurate fellow ;-) ! I like it!

I have seen some of these HiG lenses. They are not always possessed of a friendly mount! I have some 13mm examples. Your page says fixed focus. I haven't tested them yet. Can't without serious metalworking. They take a 52mm filter and are housed in steel...... Not suitable for Dremeling....
9.8mm Kinoptik Tegea is fabulous, but again, not a c-mount.

If anyone can find em, you will!

V

Vivek

zcream,. Search this forum. I have posted some shots using a Tegea 9.8mm on G1.

pellicle

zcream

I'm struggling to follow your point, could you please explain the relevance of the above post on 110 lenses? Considering that I'm a contributor to that thread.

zcream

I had meant to collect together information about wide lenses. Most of whom do not work. A 10mm and 18mm lens is wide, and I simply pointed out issues with it.
I have been doing research on this for the past few weeks and I am simply collecting any information I gathered in this thread.
As you pointed out, you (and many others) have tested and shown many lenses - but this information is all over the place. This was meant to be a central repository.

zcream

I dont know why Vivek did not mention this.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12689
He modded a Fujinon-TV CF12.5A 12.5mm f/1.4 lens and bought the front element back by 5mm.
However, the promised description of the mod never materialized. Hmm!
I guess I have to spend on one now. Problem is that its 213/- incl delivery from Evilbay.
I also contacted Weinberger service to see what it would cost to have a run of their 8mm f1.8 lenses and see what it would cost. Its a 20mm image circle.

Last edited: