The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

vs d-lux 4?

drazin

how do micro 4/3rd cameras stack up against the leica d-lux 4?
mostly looking for better higher iso performance image quality

photoSmart42

The smaller sensor on the D-Lux4/LX3 probably doesn't have as good high ISO performance as the larger m4/3 sensor. You can check out the reviews on the camera compared to the m4/3 cameras.

seakayaker

When I was looking to make the decision of which camera to buy one of the web sites that influenced my decision was http://boxedlight.com/index.htm

Good review of the d-lux 4, but after reading up about the GF1 at this site and others the decision was easy for me.

Having fun with the GF1!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

jonoslack

In terms of image quality - especially at high ISO, there really is not contest m4/3 is so much better (how could it be different, the m4/3 sensor is so much bigger!).

bradhusick

For me the LX3 was the winner because as a zoom camera the package was so much smaller than any m4/3 solution.

iiiNelson

Depends on application. For web photos you probably won't notice a large difference until you're above ISO 800. For larger prints M 4/3 is much better. I have the D-Lux 4 and the G1/GF1.

pcb_dpi

The D-Lux 4/LX-3 is one of the best high-ISO compacts. And as has already been said, D-Lux 4 IQ can't compete with m4/3 at higher ISO. M4/3 has many other advantages in features and performance, while it can never be as compact, light & quiet as a D-Lux 4.

M4/3 wins on IQ, D-Lux 4 wins on size/weight/unobtrusiveness.

I have a Panny G1 and Oly E-P1, had an LX-3. I sold the LX-3 after realizing I almost never used it after buying m4/3. YMMV.