The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New compact micro 4/3!!!

Amin

I guess this could be real, but 43 Rumors seems to spin a wheel and assign their ratings based on that. Their track record is "Above Average" on the old DPReview scale :rolleyes:.

photoSmart42

I guess this could be real, but 43 Rumors seems to spin a wheel and assign their ratings based on that. Their track record is "Above Average" on the old DPReview scale :rolleyes:.
I think as far as FT5 rumors are concerned, they've been pretty much right on with new product announcements, so I for one am hopeful about this particular rumor. Their record for FT4 rumors has been hit-miss, but pretty decent. All the other FT-rated rumors fall anywhere between left field and the nether region of some bovine =). We'll see how this one shapes up.

Y.B.Hudson III

if true...Panasonics spinning their tyres...bLowing more smoke...

When what they need's a new sensor and global shutter... for the m4/3

Amin

I think as far as FT5 rumors are concerned, they've been pretty much right on with new product announcements
There have been weak FT5 rumors. Like this one: http://43rumors.com/ft5-hot-new-olympus-cameras-coming-soon/

Here's some pure FT4 link bait: http://43rumors.com/panasonic-gf2-patent/

If you can get highly ranked on Google for "GF2", the cash follows, but the reputation will suffer.

You would never see Engadget or MacRumors make these types of posts.

Riley

if true...Panasonics spinning their tyres...bLowing more smoke...

When what they need's a new sensor and global shutter... for the m4/3
there was talk about gapless microlenses for a Panasonic sensor, Im pretty certain they are not gapless ATM. The e/v aside, thats the difference between Canon sensor examples and those of Panasonic

If you talk about the global shutter in terms of why you have it and what it can do things like multi exposure come to mind. Multi exposure was mentioned in a Panasonic interview, where they claimed it was tied up with Kodak owned patents, .....it didnt sound at all hopeful

Last edited:

sonomichele

I just don't buy the rumor, it doesn't really make sense. First, how can they make a 3x zoom with reasonable speed that is significantly smaller than the current m4/3 kit zooms. Perhaps a bit smaller, but not significantly. And if it wasn't significantly smaller, what would be the point and why would it be an "LX4" instead of just another m4/3. Yet the rumor also says only slightly bigger than an LX3. So something fishy is in paradise, unless they have miraculous new technology (magnetic focusing of light waves?)

My bet (pure guesswork) is that it will have a larger sensor than the LX3 but not as big as 4/3. Maybe Jono's desired 2/3. Perhaps someone at Panny said "it will have the image quality of a 4/3" but didn't actually say it would have the sensor of one.

Michael

photoSmart42

I think regardless of whether or not anything actually comes out in July from Panasonic, it's fair to say the buzz generated by the possibility of something like this shows the market desire for it, so if Panasonic is listening and they're not actually going to release anything in July, they should think about it.

Riley

well you could look at a site like rumours as a tool for market research. Panasonic (or indeed anyone else) could seed a rumour there to an unwitting editor just to gauge the market potentials.

that would seem to me to be almost irresistible

Y.B.Hudson III

yehh... I don't think that the demographic that would optimize profits inhabit Rumor forums...

But then again...it's a clueless design philosophy that comes out with a compact m4/3 body (GF1) with video capacity on one hand, and then introduces a compact fast lens (20mm, 1.7) that is virtualy useless for video, because of the auto focus noise... go figure?

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

One advantage this design would have... no need for a focal plane shutter - it would be a near silent central shutter in the lens.

We do need a global shutter - and I'm sure it must be close... hoping it will arrive with the high spec m4/3rds camera due from Olympus - or maybe the GH2.

Cheers

Brian

Riley

Brian they claim they are in possession of the technology for a global shutter, and yes there are offset advantages to having it, think about flash sync too. The point is it has long been considered the holy grail for the future of digital cameras because it enables modes of image taking and processing that will skyrocket noise performance and DR, but you cant do that without multiple exposures. That it seems has been locked down by Kodak, and it just might be why Olympus (if yet more rumours are to be believed) are going Kodak this time around.

There was an interview by DSLR magazine staff and Panasonic that asked just that question,
did you happen to see that ?

Brian Mosley

No, I'm sorry I missed that... Olympus do (pay to) have the advantage of going to any innovative supplier of sensors.

Panasonic must be enjoying increasing economies of scale as m4/3rds takes off... and it would make sense for Olympus to have a second supplier - I do hope the Kodak thing is true and gives us a significant improvement.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Unless fast lenses (faster than the 20/1.7) are made for the NMOS sensored cams, they have very limited use.

Slow zooms from Oly (solid plastic construction, modestly priced with over the top light proofing) and Pana aren't going to keep selling these cams.

Pana could improve the S/R performance by a few fold. Cool the damned sensor module if they have to and for heavensake, put the whole thing in a Faraday cage!

Brian Mosley

Thanks for that Riley,

PANASONIC (Mr. Inoue)
With his face a bit of doubt: "No, for now, at the production level we are not working in that direction (multi exposure HDR). It seems that Kodak, in the USA if they could be doing ...
In terms of sensors, we must not forget that, as in any area, there is the issue of patents, quite a complex subject "
Ouch! maybe they could pay Kodak for the patent?

Cheers

Brian

Last edited:

jonoslack

Unless fast lenses (faster than the 20/1.7) are made for the NMOS sensored cams, they have very limited use.

Slow zooms from Oly (solid plastic construction, modestly priced with over the top light proofing) and Pana aren't going to keep selling these cams.
HI Vivek
Do you think that the majority of the kind of photographer who is using these cameras is going to mind slow zooms? I don't think so, certainly I don't.

What does bug me though is that I would like a DECENT slow zoom with a 24mm wide (24-70 would be fine). If I want fast I can use the pana 1.7, or just a different camera. I'd rather have slow than big to be quite honest (as long as it's good quality slow).

Riley

Thanks for that Riley,

Ouch! maybe they could pay Kodak for the patent?

Cheers

Brian
theyve had a few duels with Kodak patent attorneys before, .... and lost, but of course this is business and money talks, just as they pay for a bayer license they could pay for this. We can only assume Panasonic do not see the worth of it on the price Kodak must be asking

its that lowest common denominator thing again ....

V

Vivek

HI Vivek
Do you think that the majority of the kind of photographer who is using these cameras is going to mind slow zooms? I don't think so, certainly I don't.

What does bug me though is that I would like a DECENT slow zoom with a 24mm wide (24-70 would be fine). If I want fast I can use the pana 1.7, or just a different camera. I'd rather have slow than big to be quite honest (as long as it's good quality slow).

Hi Jono, Speaking of my preference, I have a few dozen fast manual focusing primes at my disposal.

Oly-14-42- I wrecked it. The mount is very well constructed and would be useful.

Pana 14-45, flex wire is damaged. If I find a replacement, I may use it.

Pana 45-200. Mostly unused. Sitting pretty.

Oly-D 17/2.8 Sparingly used now.

Pana 20/1.7. IR lens. Fabulous for this.

Personally, I would stay away from buying any Olympus m4/3rds lens. I am convinced of their "quality".

jonoslack

Hi Jono, Speaking of my preference, I have a few dozen fast manual focusing primes at my disposal.

Oly-14-42- I wrecked it. The mount is very well constructed and would be useful.

Pana 14-45, flex wire is damaged. If I find a replacement, I may use it.

Pana 45-200. Mostly unused. Sitting pretty.

Oly-D 17/2.8 Sparingly used now.

Pana 20/1.7. IR lens. Fabulous for this.

Personally, I would stay away from buying any Olympus m4/3rds lens. I am convinced of their "quality".
:eek: I can see why you need convincing.
I also broke a 14-42 . . . but it was after submerging it in rushing water for several minutes! Otherwise all the lenses seem to be okay.