The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New compact micro 4/3!!!

photoSmart42

I think struggling with these definitions is just one facet of the new age of photography that we find ourselves in.
+1. I think with everything becoming electronic in some form, we'll be seeing new types of cameras that simply defy the old/existing definitions, so we'll have to find new ones. m4/3 was one of those head-scratchers, and I'm still not convinced we've settled on a moniker for them yet.

V

Vivek

I would also like to say that I really dont understand the problem some people seem to have with this particular site, it is after all clearly about 'rumours'.
Perhaps those are the ones that dislike rumors? I don't see any point in "pre-production" model reviews either.

BTW, I think the non English background adds to the flair/flavor of that site. I sincerely hope that it will not get spoiled by some language classes.:)

ggibson

It wouldn't make sense to launch something as slow as the f/3.5 kit lens. I'm guessing it'll be a 24-48/2.8-4.0 personally. We'll see.
The rumor says it's a 3x zoom--even better :)

This sounds very interesting, although at this point I'd be more excited about a GH2 or GF2 release (since I have so many lenses for m4/3). I want to see a shutterless sensor with 24fps and 60fps video recording.

Riley

You would think that photographers of all people would be willing to give a little license to dream a little. And sure as shoot, if we waited for Olympus to inform us on technology directions of interest or even with broad hints we would be waiting an eternity.

The site fills a role that no other takes on, and has its share of successes too.

V

Vivek

You would think that photographers of all people would be willing to give a little license to dream a little.
Who is stopping anyone from that? Why does one have to have "reliable sources" (within a company for sure)?

Riley, Are you saying that you disliked the curtain trick of Olympus before they unveiled the EP?:shocked:

Please tell me that you at least liked that blendtech advert.

Riley

Who is stopping anyone from that? Why does one have to have "reliable sources" (within a company for sure)?
well it comes down to a credible success rate, that is to say while not all rumours can be well founded (by the nature of their application), at least some of them come to be.

I guess he would track who submits rumour material with an eye for reliable sources to be able to attach a level of certainty (or not) to it

Vivek said:
Riley, Are you saying that you disliked the curtain trick of Olympus before they unveiled the EP?:shocked:

Please tell me that you at least liked that blendtech advert.
how long ago was that again....

I keep getting emails about how Olympus have not forgotten to support four thirds, immediately followed by material on the latest micro FT gimmick

wtf, makes me mad as hell! :)

jonoslack

I would venture that it will be a f/1.9 constant zoom.:talk028:
Splendid . . . .but how can it be small, with an f1.9 3x zoom - of course, it would be wonderful, but it's hard to see how it could be managed.

all the best

Rawfa

Splendid . . . .but how can it be small, with an f1.9 3x zoom - of course, it would be wonderful, but it's hard to see how it could be managed.

all the best
I feel the same way. It will probably be a 14-45mm f2.8 (if we´re lucky may we´ll get a constant f2.8, but I doubt that too).

jonoslack

I feel the same way. It will probably be a 14-45mm f2.8 (if we´re lucky may we´ll get a constant f2.8, but I doubt that too).
If we're lucky . . . . . i'd settle for f3.5 / f5.6 for something small with a 4/3 sensor, as long as it was small, and the lens was reasonable quality. Personally I'd much rather a 12-36 though . . . . .

jonoslack

you wont get photographically useful cameras out of them for our purposes
they seem to want to play to the lowest common denominator
Oh? why not?
I've been playing with one of their lowest common denominator cameras recently (TZ10 / v-lux20). It only does what it says on the tin, but it does it well, I've made some some perfectly adequate 13 x 19 prints out of it, and that's with a sensor about 1/10th of the size of the one we're talking about here.

extrapolate :)

Riley

extrapolate?

not many of the optics for the interchangeable lens cameras are good, most of them approach fair, control suites are limited and EPL1 is a good example of good IQ performance and god-awful control performance. You either have an EVF or a 'B' grade flash that wont bounce, but not both on cameras that 'only' resemble cameras of a bygone age,....with good reason

what part of that leads you to expect a Zuiko like 14-35/2 on what looks to be even more of a P&S box for nerds. :)

jonoslack

extrapolate?

not many of the optics for the interchangeable lens cameras are good, most of them approach fair, control suites are limited and EPL1 is a good example of good IQ performance and god-awful control performance. You either have an EVF or a 'B' grade flash that wont bounce, but not both on cameras that 'only' resemble cameras of a bygone age,....with good reason

what part of that leads you to expect a Zuiko like 14-35/2 on what looks to be even more of a P&S box for nerds. :)
Nothing - I think I was talking of f3.5 / f5.6

What's more I know what a 14-35 for 4/3 looks like . . . there already is one, and it weighs nearly 1kg, costs nearly £2000.

But I disagree with you about optics for mft - there are a number of good lenses and the cameras are perfectly useable . . . unless you try and use an EVF and a flash at the same time :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

all the best
Otherwise, what is there to fret about a P&S cam? With the association of Leica name, it is bound be an under priced over performer...

jonoslack

Otherwise, what is there to fret about a P&S cam? With the association of Leica name, it is bound be an under priced over performer...
:ROTFL:
sarcasm may be the 'lowest form of wit' but I was always rather partial to it myself.

V

Vivek

:ROTFL:
sarcasm may be the 'lowest form of wit' but I was always rather partial to it myself.
Pardon me..English is not supposed to be my first language either. :eek:

I will venture into making a serious prediction. The purported P&S cam would also show "starry sky" when used for long exposures on a tripod with the self timer on (this is even when not attempting any star trail photos). :)

Last edited:

sinwen

LX3 size, 3xZoom, MT sensor, OVF.... the dream to me...
So lets dream a bit more, Leica lens constant f2 -14-42mm, GH swivel type of screen with 1040,000 pixels, IS of course, NO scene modes at all , fully manual option, dust/rain proof. As the lens is fixed, if it is well made, bye bye dust on sensor. Then we can add all the latest video stuff, improved back light sensor for high sensitivity.
I am pretty sure it would come out with the touch screen.... too fragile for me.
.... and light silver gey please or better "chrome".

jonoslack

LX3 size, 3xZoom, MT sensor, OVF.... the dream to me...
So lets dream a bit more, Leica lens constant f2 -14-42mm, GH swivel type of screen with 1040,000 pixels, IS of course, NO scene modes at all , fully manual option, dust/rain proof. As the lens is fixed, if it is well made, bye bye dust on sensor. Then we can add all the latest video stuff, improved back light sensor for high sensitivity.
If you are to get all these things . . . . .

I am pretty sure it would come out with the touch screen.... too fragile for me.
.... and light silver gey please or better "chrome".
Surely you can put up with this!