The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New compact micro 4/3!!!

Brian Mosley

Blimey Vivek, the lenses are designed for taking pictures... not hammering nails, what have you been doing with them? :shocked:

I'm afraid these are all 'consumable' cameras... including the lenses - I doubt they'll be in service in 30 years time (unlike my Hexanon collection :))

Cheers

Brian

Y.B.Hudson III

The Panasonic AG AF 100 (m4/3 pro camcorder- yet to be released) in Panasonic's latest press release features a Zeiss Ultra Prime Lens with a 3rd party adapter on that Camera. interesting :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I can say this about the Oly-D 14-42:

A lot of work has gone into that mount. A pity they would ignore the front side of the lens.

The reason i took that 14-42 apart was to check if I can switch the flex wire from it to the one in Pana 14-45. Unfortunately, the Oly-D's is soldered either way and is a no go.

The rear most element of the Oly-D is an aspherical element attached to the mount (and stays put when the other part of the zoom wobbles around wildly). Putting it back with proper alignment (Olympus use thin spacers to the screws to align it) is not a possibility for me. Even if I could align it, why bother since I have no use at all for it.

I do some possibilities for the stainless steel mount of the Oly-D 14-42.

How the Pana 14-45's flex wire got ripped is a secret. ;)

Not a big loss. I do not miss having it at all.

My Oly-D 17/2.8 is black (shows "paint" loss now). :ROTFL:

Rawfa

According to the same source:
- The lens starts at 24mm and with f/2.0 (like the LX3!) but it has 3x zoom (unlike the 2.5x zoom on the LX3)
- It will be the smallest camera with FourThirds sensor ever made

Not bad so far. Lets see what they say price wise. The e-pl1 costs 600us$, the LX3 costs around 400us$...so I´m thinking this camera will cost about 500us$.

Godfrey

... But then again...it's a clueless design philosophy that comes out with a compact m4/3 body (GF1) with video capacity on one hand, and then introduces a compact fast lens (20mm, 1.7) that is virtualy useless for video, because of the auto focus noise... go figure?
No videographer serious about their work uses auto focus. Only clueless hobbyists demand that kind of nonsensical, useless stuff.

Rawfa

I have worked with video for 10 years. I have had work shown on mtv and several other tv channels, I also received several awards from shot films I´v made. Most of my work was done with tools way worst than the GF1 with the 20mm. I do agree that the 20mm is not ideal for video work, but I would not go as far as saying it´s for hobbyists.
Check this out: http://www.vimeo.com/13005574

Brian Mosley

- The lens starts at 24mm and with f/2.0 (like the LX3!) but it has 3x zoom (unlike the 2.5x zoom on the LX3)

Not bad so far. Lets see what they say price wise. The e-pl1 costs 600us$, the LX3 costs around 400us$...so I´m thinking this camera will cost about 500us$.
Hi Rafa, is that 24mm EFL at the wide end?

I wonder if the lens will be all motor driven (extending, zooming, focusing) like the LX2?

I have a feeling it will be comparable, price wise to the X1.

Cheers

Brian

seakayaker

I have worked with video for 10 years. I have had work shown on mtv and several other tv channels, I also received several awards from shot films I´v made. Most of my work was done with tools way worst than the GF1 with the 20mm. I do agree that the 20mm is not ideal for video work, but I would not go as far as saying it´s for hobbyists.
. . . . . the video made with the 20mm pancake is pretty dam good!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

jonoslack

No videographer serious about their work uses auto focus. Only clueless hobbyists demand that kind of nonsensical, useless stuff.
:)

Mind you, Godfrey didn't say that only a clueless hobbyist would shoot video with the 20 f1/7. Just that only a clueless hobbyist would use autofocus for video . . . not quite the same thing.

Rawfa

:)

Mind you, Godfrey didn't say that only a clueless hobbyist would shoot video with the 20 f1/7. Just that only a clueless hobbyist would use autofocus for video . . . not quite the same thing.
Nor did I say otherwise...not in so many words, that is ;)

Brian Mosley

Flipping heck, that is phenomenal!

Thanks for the link Rafa :thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

Hi Rafa
This sounds really fab to me - I've been rabbiting on about a sensor size between m4/3 and 1/1.63" to allow for a camera just like this. If they can do it with a m4/3 sensor then so much the better.

I have to say, Like Brian, I would have thought they would do best with it really nice quality with a bigger price tag - a Leica badged version might come too I guess, if it didn't conflict too much with the X1.

Still - I mustn't get my hopes up, it sounds too good to be true.

Rawfa

It´s supposed to be announced in July so we shouldn´t have to guess much longer. From what I´ve read the camera will be smaller than the GF1 and just a little bit bigger than the LX3. With some luck we will all soon have the quality of the micro 4/3 sensor inside our jeans pockets :D

Last edited:

jonoslack

It´s supposed to be announced in July so we shouldn-t have to guess much longer. From what I´ve read the camera will be smalled than the GF1 and just a little bit bigger than the LX3. With some luck we will all soon have the quality of the micro 4/3 sensor inside our jeans pockets :D
Wouldn't that be wonderful . . . mind you, the LX3 is a pretty tight squeeze in a pair of jeans!

Riley

yeah I think with the surprisingly small size of the Sony theyre going to have to show they can do smaller

Rawfa

This could be the ideal camera that all snapshot photographers have been waiting for.

Rawfa

Maybe they will use their new gapless sensor. Panasonic already started mass production on a similar solution as Canon´s. Noise levels are expected to be 1 to 1.5 stops better in the high ISO range.