Site Sponsors

Thread: Olympus 50mm f2.0, better, faster, cheaper than Leica 45mm f2.8 macro

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus 50mm f2.0, better, faster, cheaper than Leica 45mm f2.8 macro

Seems to be the consensus. Even with the Panasonic adapter ($140) it's still almost $350 cheaper than the Leica 45mm f2.8. But, no AF. Given it uses MF, you could use a $35 generic 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adapter.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympus 50mm f2.0, better, faster, cheaper than Leica 45mm f2.8 macro

I read somewhere that the Olympus 50/2 Macro will autofocus on Olympus M4/3 bodies. I really enjoy using the Olympus 50 on my regular 4/3 bodies. IMHO, it is one of all time best-value lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you referring to the 50mm f2 digital ED macro or the OM manual focus version? I was surprised to see that the manual focus versions are going for about $500 (EX+ condition) from KEH, which a new 50/2 ED digital lens costs $445 from B&H.

I wonder how these lenses would compare with the 55mm Micro-Nikkor (AI) I use now...

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The ZD 50mm f2 will autofocus with any of the Pens (don't know about the G2/G10?) - remember, Olympus will be bringing the native m4/3rds version in the next few months.

If the mZD 50mm f2 focuses as quickly as the mZD 9-18 and mZD 14-150, it will make a fantastic portrait lens too.

In the meantime, I'm using the ZD 50mm f2 and it works pretty well on the Pen with the 4/3rds adapter.

Cheers

Brian

noirist

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Seems to be the consensus. Even with the Panasonic adapter ($140) it's still almost $350 cheaper than the Leica 45mm f2.8. But, no AF. Given it uses MF, you could use a $35 generic 4/3rds to micro 4/3rds adapter.
    It's not the concensus. Take a look at

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11594

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

not really

I've used them both, extensively. Both are superb performing lenses ... on that front, you can't go wrong with either.

The Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS is $800. The ZD 50mm f/2 ED cost me $450 plus $120 for the DMW-MA1 adapter or $570. That's a $230 difference.

For a Panasonic G1/GH1/GF1, you give up autofocus, image stabilization, 1:1 magnification, compactness and internal focusing, a focus limiter, and smoother operating manual focusing with the ZD 50. On a G2 or G10, it will autofocus but pretty slowly. Lack of autofocus also means lack of face detection, follow focus, etc. You do gain a stop in speed.

Depending on what's important to you, that $230 price premium can be well worth it.

As I said, I have used them both extensively. I own the ZD50 and have borrowed a friends ME45 quite a lot. I plan to buy one soon as I can afford it, the ZD50 I need for the SLRs, the ME45 is a better lens for use with the G1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirist View Post
    It's not the concensus. Take a look at

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11594
    I've used the lens. IMO, it's not terrific for a macro lens. More like a good prime lens with extension tubes added. But then maybe there is sample variation, I only used one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: not really

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I've used them both, extensively. Both are superb performing lenses ... on that front, you can't go wrong with either.

The Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm f/2.8 ASPH OIS is $800. The ZD 50mm f/2 ED cost me $450 plus $120 for the DMW-MA1 adapter or $570. That's a $230 difference.

For a Panasonic G1/GH1/GF1, you give up autofocus, image stabilization, 1:1 magnification, compactness and internal focusing, a focus limiter, and smoother operating manual focusing with the ZD 50. On a G2 or G10, it will autofocus but pretty slowly. Lack of autofocus also means lack of face detection, follow focus, etc. You do gain a stop in speed.

Depending on what's important to you, that $230 price premium can be well worth it.

As I said, I have used them both extensively. I own the ZD50 and have borrowed a friends ME45 quite a lot. I plan to buy one soon as I can afford it, the ZD50 I need for the SLRs, the ME45 is a better lens for use with the G1.
    I've never seen the Panasonic for 800.00.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=endecaSearch

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I completely agree with Godfrey here.
    I have owned both of these lenses, and used both of them extensively.

My feeling is that whilst the 50 f2 Oly is sharper than the Panasonic 45, that's where it's advantages stop. (actually, the 50 might be the sharpest lens I've ever used).
    The autofocus (with cameras where it works) is mind-numbingly slow
    the manual focus is floppy and disagreeable
    it's bigger

The only thing I have to add to what Godfrey said is:

the bokeh is agitated and unpleasant on the 50 f2

the Panasonic 45 has the most splendid gentle bokeh.

So - of course, it partly boils down to price, and also to whether you value absolute sharpness or general image feeling. But for me the decision was easy, and I sold the Olympus.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: not really

Quote Originally Posted by clay stewart View Post
    I've never seen the Panasonic for 800.00.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=endecaSearch
    When last I looked,it was listed on amazon.com for $799.95, but that was a while ago admittedly. It wad about the time I was deciding to buy the 50mm because I needed it for my SLRs more than I needed the 45mm for the G1.

The ME45 is the next lens I intend to purchase. Well, either it or the 7-14mm. :-)