Site Sponsors

Thread: IR: 665 vs 715

Post Thanks / Like

IR: 665 vs 715

Hi all,
    About to get a camera converted by Precision, and I wanted to check about your thoughts on the two different conversions.

On Precision's site, they state that the 665 conversion does not give as dramatic B&W. I am wondering how this meshes with your experiences?

Has anyone tried the 665 and then used an IR filter to cut out the more visible light when you want to go more standard B&W style IR?

I ask because my primary motivation is actually B&W style IR, but I am interested in dabbling in the faux color IR as long as I can get really good B&W IR results for most of my work.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IR: 665 vs 715

Couple of threads where I go into detailed discussion about my GF1 conversion experience with Precision. After trying the 665, I ended up with the 715 and am very happy with both the B&W and false color out of it:

Main post after my issues were resolved: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ight=precision

Here is the original post where I had the issues: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13269
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used a 665 converted camera, but I'm very pleased with the 715nm conversion by Precision. Works fine for both B&W or false color NIR imaging. Take a look at the images in this thread for examples of both.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, For false color IR, nothing beats the Sony CCD, IME. Consider a Nikon D40, 40x, 60, 70, 80 or 200 converted for this purpose (with a 720nm filter) or a Pentax CCD cam or a Sony CCD cam.

G1's NMOS sensor with a clear filter and no IR filter at all in the front still gives white foliage (and not so punchy colors as a Sony CCD). For me, with a 720nm filter, false colors on a G1 are not satisfactory.

It is fine for B&W and here it shines! It is much more superior to the Sony CCDd Nikon cams I have used in terms of DR, tonality and clarity.

I would even suggest that you may want to consider a 760nm filter to get only B&W images if you want a dedicated IR cam in a G1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Doug, For false color IR, nothing beats the Sony CCD, IME. Consider a Nikon D40, 40x, 60, 70, 80 or 200 converted for this purpose (with a 720nm filter) or a Pentax CCD cam or a Sony CCD cam.

G1's NMOS sensor with a clear filter and no IR filter at all in the front still gives white foliage (and not so punchy colors as a Sony CCD). For me, with a 720nm filter, false colors on a G1 are not satisfactory.

It is fine for B&W and here it shines! It is much more superior to the Sony CCDd Nikon cams I have used in terms of DR, tonality and clarity.

I would even suggest that you may want to consider a 760nm filter to get only B&W images if you want a dedicated IR cam in a G1.
    Okay, false color was really only a side interest, and I really want my B&W camera to do B&W well... Since I have the G1 that I want to convert, that makes sense.

Thanks

Doug

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you already do not own the 20/1.7, get one. There is no other better IR lens than that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Already have it, thanks. Do you use a hood? If so, which one?

I ask because I am expecting more flare with IR, and I don't have a hood for the 20....

Thanks,

Doug
    Last edited by greypilgrim; 8th July 2010 at 13:24.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, That is a very important question not only because of flare from direct light hitting the glass surfaces but also not all black paint is really black in IR.

Look at this set (left to right) in visible light:

old Step ring (CZJ), Heliopan RM700 filter, Step ring (cheap, generic, eBay purchase).

The same set up in IR (Hacked E410, Heliopan RM780 over lens)

I use (mostly) a 49mm Hoya R72 (via stepring) on the 20/1.7. For this I use an old B+W 49mm metal hood.

Just now I checked the Jinfinances' "Contax" lens hood (46mm thread) set. They will all do fine. They are (the inside black paint) still black in IR as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek,
    I'm really glad you mentioned that and showed those examples. I should have thought about IR reflectivity of the hoods...

Thanks,

Doug