The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The FourThirds photo blog thread

Godfrey

On GetDPI, there seem to be threads which are "image" threads, containing tons of images one after another, and there seem to be "discussion" threads which contain lots of chit chat, technical stuff, etc.

I don't know whether anyone else is interested, but I maintain a photo blog where I feature a photo usually with some surrounding context or story to enhance its appreciation. I thought it might be cool to start a new kind of thread where I and others doing photo blogs could post their current featured photo along with a link to the photo blog post. That way those who just wish to see photos could get that right here on the spot, but those who enjoy reading and commenting on photo blogs could use this as a spring board to enjoy other's photo blog work.

A simple idea to make this work effectively:

- post ONE photo per message embedded here with technical info, with the subject set to reflect any title the photo blog post might have.

- in the post, add a link to that entry on the photo blog.

I hope others will find this idea worthwhile. I enjoy browsing others blogs but simply cannot subscribe to all of the great photo blogs I happen across and keep up. This will give us a way to find others' work as time and interest allows and motivates.

My first photo blog post will be a response to this one. :)

Your comments will be appreciated!

clark666

Blackberry 9700

Ali was showing me his favorite chicken, a Polish rooster. This is the reason that I need a small camera that I take everywhere!

Godfrey

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4689324275_5416cab1ca_b.jpg

Blackberry 9700

Ali was showing me his favorite chicken, a Polish rooster. This is the reason that I need a small camera that I take everywhere!
It's a nice photo, but is it featured on a photo blog? and what's the photo blog link?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It's a nice photo, but is it featured on a photo blog? and what's the photo blog link?
You may always annotate your images with text as you wish provided that it is tasteful, non fattening, non political, etc.
I would caution that links to blogs that violate forum rules might very well cause punishment as if the material had been posted here.
For your watchful moderators
-bob

clark666

Oh, I didn't understand that I need to have a blog too. I will think about it. the easiest thing to do is to annotate my flickr photos and create a blog that way.

I wish I carried my E-620 everywhere so that my photos were 4/3s too. I need a 4/3s cell phone!

Godfrey

You may always annotate your images with text as you wish provided that it is tasteful, non fattening, non political, etc.
I would caution that links to blogs that violate forum rules might very well cause punishment as if the material had been posted here.
For your watchful moderators
-bob
I can't imagine what GetDPI forum rule posting a link to a blog along with a photo and its technical information might break. I've read everything that Jack and Guy have posted on guidelines for GetDPI use, and I've seen hundreds if not thousands of blog and other links posted to this forum.

The whole point of this thread, Bob, is to allow people who do a photo blog a place on GetDPI where they can let people who might not otherwise be aware of the blog see the photos and, at their discretion, enjoy the blog. Nothing more and nothing less. A subject with the title of the blog post, an embedded photograph, and a blog link should be in every post that isn't a response to someone else's blog link post.

If that somehow transgresses one of Jack or Guy's rules, well, my apologies: moderators, please remove the whole thread.

Godfrey

Oh, I didn't understand that I need to have a blog too. I will think about it. the easiest thing to do is to annotate my flickr photos and create a blog that way.
Go for it! :)

I wish I carried my E-620 everywhere so that my photos were 4/3s too. I need a 4/3s cell phone!
Look out or someone will start making a GF1 or E-PL1 with a compact lens look mighty attractive ... ];-)

Godfrey

I'm surprised there is so little interest so far, but perhaps it's just because of the weekend. I hope to put up another blog post tomorrow so I'll add that here and hope others follow.

Otherwise, eh? nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;-)

Brian Mosley

Why does this need its' own thread Godfrey? you have your photo blog in your signature, and can post in any of the image threads with your link beneath your image?

Not trying to pour cold water on your initiative - I just think the image threads are more inclusive and one place to see a wide range of users' images.

Cheers

Brian

Godfrey

The notion is to allow people to show their photos along with invite people to visit their blogs in a dedicated way, Brian. Kind of a "GetDPI.com blog notification" thread. Just because my blog address is in my signature doesn't mean that people immediately check to see if there's anything new there on a regular basis, subscribe or sign up for the RSS feed. I also post lots of photos that never make it into a blog post.

Personally, I find the photo threads unwieldy here. They take forever to download, the viewing layout is crummy and has limited options, and since all the photos are different sizes and shapes it becomes, to me, a visual mess. I can't spend the time to try to keep up with them past a certain point, it's just too difficult and degraded a viewing experience. If the GetDPI software had the notion of a gallery layout which allowed usable viewing/navigation for large numbers of photographs, it would be a much better experience and present the work much more effectively. (I don't know about anyone else, but I am very sensitive to how photographs are presented as it affects the viewers' experience of the photograph. I don't put a lot of work into careful framing, exposure, rendering, articulating my intents, etc, to be casual about how the work is presented: just throwing a stack of prints on the table isn't much of a viewing experience to me.)

The notion of this thread idea was to give folks the opportunity to say, effectively, "I have posted something new to my blog, this is it, and if you'd like to see the additional value I've posted with it on the blog here is the address."

But if no one's interested in that, well, I'm not going to sweat it. It was an idea that I thought might resonate with some people to foster more sharing of their blogging efforts. If it doesn't, well "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I find the photo threads unwieldy here. They take forever to download, the viewing layout is crummy and has limited options, and since all the photos are different sizes and shapes it becomes, to me, a visual mess.
Personally, I take offense to this comment. The load problem is due to whatever server you use to store your images having too small a pipe -- our GetDPI server has a huge pipe. View layout is simple if you choose a unified size and format for your images AND use the "Insert Image" icon to post it. If you use the simple "attachment" option, then all you get are thumbnail links to an uploaded file, so while it's fast, the view sucks --- which is why we do NOT recommend using it but left it in for folks who wanted a simple way to load a single image. Several folks appreciate it and continue to use it for simplicity, so it is what it is, but it is the ARTIST's choice, not ours...

At the end of the day *IF* you use the GetDPI image gallery which is FREE, then images will load lightening fast, be sized to three sizes with the default at 1000 pixels unless your original is smaller than that (the other two sizes are a thumb and an original size as uploaded), and display quite nicely in our forum body if you use our "insert image" icon method and if further desired, the centering tag center and /center in the "[ ]" brackets..

Sorry, but I take offense when people "assume" it is our end that's broken when we've gone to extreme measures to deliver a really fast, easy to use PHOTO site. I do agree the forum album software could have a better UI, but all the info on how to use it is there and it works very well once you get the hang of it. There is an album update in the works which we will load when it's out of beta.

Finally, I understand the desire to drive folks to your own photo blog, but the bottom line is if it's good, they should find it and use it anyway without the need to drive traffic to it from a dedicated forum thread. In this, I agree that a signature link should suffice, but I'll leave it to the group of "bloggers" here to decide for themselves...

I love this forum, Jack. It introduced me to a new kind of photography and brought the fun back into it. My DSLR's go on to ebay in the autumn when I have cracked tethering.

What I would love to discourage is the habit of cutting and pasting a whole image from an earlier message simply to say 'Well done'. We have seen the image once. Why waste bandwidth repeating it.

I can't see how you stop it, Jack, but it is so boring and wasteful.

Well done for everything else.

Tony

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
There's something mildly annoying about the premise of this thread. Trolling for viewers to your own blog while at the same time bitching about the image posting/viewing experience here on this free forum seems pretty cheesy.

I recognize and respect those members who post here and who also have a blog. Some of them even have something worthwhile to say on their blogs. But this is a forum, and a free one. I don't come here to find links to somewhere else. And yes, I have been one to suggest (in various threads) that maybe if we all replied to say "well done" and stripped the image out to do so, the images would have that much more stature and make the threads faster. But that's a niggling little thing and ultimately, I feel I get so much out of the discussions and image posts, it easily compensates for any inconvenience.

seakayaker

From Post # 1 of the Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread dated 5 December 2008.

Well since you have a new forum , I thought it deserved a dedicated 4/3rds image thread. Post like crazy, we love images.
Since that time there have been 3320 posts . . . . .

. . . . . appears to be working and people are enjoying the thread.

From Post # 1 of the Photographing your Bokeh dated 7 September 2009

Hi everyone:

I've got pictures in a couple of threads to show this and have got some good response - so I've started this thread where similar images can be posted.

Keith
[/IMG]
Since that time there have been 2045 posts . . . . .

. . . . . appears to be working and people are enjoying the thread.

Godfrey, I like your idea and see no reason not continue this thread or perhaps a new one without the running commentary so folks can enjoy the photos and review the blogs when there is interest.

Joined GetDPI in April and I am strictly an amateur or you might say an enthusiast hobbyist who is enjoying the micro 4/3 experience. I enjoy this website and the freedom of expression that people have with the various threads.

Hopefully there is room for everyone without so many rules so that the moderators/administrators are to busy policing activity and not enjoying their individual pursuits. ( . . . . . when that happens usually forums disappear)

Anyway looking forward to more posts and pictures from those who have their own blogs and want to keep the rest of us in the loop!

Peace, Love, & Harmony!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Brian Mosley

Hi Tony,

I see your point, but repeating an image in the same thread uses no more bandwidth... your web browser should cache (keep a copy of the downloaded) image from the first load. I sometimes will quote an image from further up the thread when it's not obvious to which image I am referring.

Jack, I love the 'fun with...' image threads - often review the Leica threads to see what I'm missing!

Cheers

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my input is very simple here I LOVE the image threads and the more images the better. This is ABOUT photography and GetDPI will not change from the image threads as long as I am part owner it is what makes this place and the people that post there images.

I'm all for the signature links and that is always been the policy around here and for commercial vendors as well. If folks are interested they will click on the signatures i do it all the time.

GetDPI is what it is and I like it this way. This is a community all i see these blogs do is break apart a family in a million directions.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Tony,

I see your point, but repeating an image in the same thread uses no more bandwidth... your web browser should cache (keep a copy of the downloaded) image from the first load. I sometimes will quote an image from further up the thread when it's not obvious to which image I am referring.

Jack, I love the 'fun with...' image threads - often review the Leica threads to see what I'm missing!

Cheers

Brian
Just look at the stats on those fun threads, that's the real story. :)

Every section that has a fun thread is the most popular thread. I think that say's something very positive about posting images.