The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The FourThirds photo blog thread

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Guy, Jack, everyone.
I feel posting a thread like this is RUDE and an insult to the owners and even the members.
Guy and Jack are most gracious to allow this conversation. I would not be so kind nor understanding.

This is a great Photography Forum and it's working beautifully.
shooter

jonoslack

Just look at the stats on those fun threads, that's the real story. :)
Absolutely - the current Leica thread has only been going for 4 weeks and has nearly 16,000 views the previous one had 330,000 Fun with 4/3 has nearly 135,000 Fun with MF images nearly 211,000. So many good images, so much fun.

Still, I'm sure Godfrey's initial intent was good, and I'm not sure what harm it does for those with blogs to advertise their wares?

Jonas

Guy, Jack, everyone.
I feel posting a thread like this is RUDE and an insult to the owners and even the members.
Guy and Jack are most gracious to allow this conversation. I would not be so kind nor understanding.
I can't understand this point of view. Why would it be rude to suggest a thread where members can let us know their blogs are updated?

The opposite may be true though; by not allowing such announcements you make the reader feel that this very forum is the only place to visit, do not deviate.

The last sentence I understand fine though - but aren't you free to practice all the censorship you want over at mu-43? Suggesting a thread shouldn't be allowed here, that's definitely rude in my book.

This is a great Photography Forum and it's working beautifully.
shooter
With this I agree, partly. It's a great forum and it is not a coincidence you see links to threads over here at different places, for example at mu-43 and DPR.
The forum software is what it is. I actually agree with Godfrey and find it akin to pain to wade through the "Fun" threads. But it can be done.

/Jonas

Amin

The last sentence I understand fine though - but aren't you free to practice all the censorship you want over at mu-43?
I am posting here to request that no one from mu-43 engage Jonas regarding this comment. Out of respect to Jack and Guy as well as the members here, I think it's best that we leave Jonas' comment as the final word in this thread regarding mu-43.

With this I agree, partly. It's a great forum and it is not a coincidence you see links to threads over here at different places, for example at mu-43 and DPR.
We can agree on that. This is a great forum. Fwiw, I think the photo threads - in their current format - are fantastic - one of the very best aspects of GetDPI.

Godfrey

Personally, I take offense to this comment. The load problem is due to whatever server you use to store your images having too small a pipe -- our GetDPI server has a huge pipe. View layout is simple if you choose a unified size and format for your images AND use the "Insert Image" icon to post it. If you use the simple "attachment" option, then all you get are thumbnail links to an uploaded file, so while it's fast, the view sucks --- which is why we do NOT recommend using it but left it in for folks who wanted a simple way to load a single image. Several folks appreciate it and continue to use it for simplicity, so it is what it is, but it is the ARTIST's choice, not ours...

At the end of the day *IF* you use the GetDPI image gallery which is FREE, then images will load lightening fast, be sized to three sizes with the default at 1000 pixels unless your original is smaller than that (the other two sizes are a thumb and an original size as uploaded), and display quite nicely in our forum body if you use our "insert image" icon method and if further desired, the centering tag center and /center in the "[ ]" brackets..

Sorry, but I take offense when people "assume" it is our end that's broken when we've gone to extreme measures to deliver a really fast, easy to use PHOTO site. I do agree the forum album software could have a better UI, but all the info on how to use it is there and it works very well once you get the hang of it. There is an album update in the works which we will load when it's out of beta.

Finally, I understand the desire to drive folks to your own photo blog, but the bottom line is if it's good, they should find it and use it anyway without the need to drive traffic to it from a dedicated forum thread. In this, I agree that a signature link should suffice, but I'll leave it to the group of "bloggers" here to decide for themselves...

Jack,

My comment was specifically about photo threads, not the gallery features on GetDPI ... which I have never used. I do not load my photos anywhere but to my own web servers (both of which are very fast) or to flickr (which is also very fast).

I always use the "insert image" commands in message posts. But long threads assemble dozens and dozens of photos per page, and that will inevitably be slow and awkward over time* as browsers have to download all that data at least once if it is no longer in cache ... there's simply a lot of data to shuffle down the pipe. I find it to be the same problem here that it is on every other site with long threads full of images.

* (... I just clicked through five of the "more fun with 4/3 images..." thread pages, watching the network IO as each page loaded to completion. My connection is via an aDSL service with nominally 1500 Mbps download. I see very consistent download speed at 166 Kbyte/second, which is 88-89% efficiency ... very good really ... but each page is pulling down 10-13 Mbytes of data on average, one minute plus on average to see the whole page. Each time you add another post and photo, it has to reformat and pull down 50-60% of the data again. That's simply a clumsy way to view a lot of photographs, IMO. It says nothing negative about GetDPI ... any forum set up with a continuous stream like that is going to be lacking responsiveness. )

My interest was not to drive people to my photo blog, or to provide a source of controversy. I enjoy and celebrate GetDPI ... and would like to see more of OTHER people's photos in their photo blogs, if they pursue one. I was hoping to expand the visibility of GetDPI subscribers' blogs in a way that would enhance the community here.

Since so much controversy has erupted over this simple wish, I'm no longer interested to pursue it. Please delete the thread, or lock it, or whatever.

thanks,
Godfrey

Last edited:

Jonas

I am posting here to request that no one from mu-43 engage Jonas regarding this comment. Out of respect to Jack and Guy as well as the members here, I think it's best that we leave Jonas' comment as the final word in this thread regarding mu-43.
No worries Amin, I'm not going to reply to anything, or mention that again. It was just something happening seeing Streetshooter spreading those ideas about not allowing conversations. Next time I'll censor myself, haha.
But it would be fine if you replied to my message to you (June 29, via Brian).

/Jonas

Brian Mosley

No worries Amin, I'm not going to reply to anything, or mention that again. It was just something happening seeing Streetshooter spreading those ideas about not allowing conversations. Next time I'll censor myself, haha.
But it would be fine if you replied to my message to you (June 29, via Brian).

/Jonas
Jonas, I just went back to check my e-mail and I missed forwarding it to Amin at the time - my sincere apologies to you both... I've forwarded it just now.

Kind Regards

Brian