The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are there any new m4/3rds cams with real improvements in sight?

V

Vivek

With the introduction G2 by Panasonic, it looks like an admission that they do not have any improvements to their original G1 sensor.

Since Olympus are dependent on Panasonic for sensors, there is little hope that they can do anything other than making EP to EPL and such.

What happened to Fuji's purported cam?

Is the future of m4/3rds tied down by Panasonic's "starry sky" NMOS sensor?

BTW, here is a blog that is related to this post:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vivek-iyer/4775896864/

M5-Guy

Not sure if this is a real improvement....

MF confirm light. But, to be honest... I just got a G1 and no lens yet. I am getting an adapter for my M42 55mm lens, but, I don't have it yet. So, I can't find anywhere about a MF confirm light... just the 5x or 10x mag. in the VF.

The only real big upgrade I could see is a much better sensor with really clean 1600 and 3200... Although 1600 isn't bad if processed properly.

Well, with no mirror lag... a higher burst rate is possible... 5fps would be nice. Hell. I had that with a Canon EOS 630 film camera. Maybe a different type of shutter may be needed though.

Better Low Light EFV performance...?

The G1/G2 seem to be pretty complete as far a well thought out camera. G2 only adding a touch LCD as a major addition + HD Video... Replacing the G1/GH1 effectively.

But, changes are typically small... even though the G1 was a huge advancement in some respects. The first mirror-less Interchangeable lens camera.

photoSmart42

I think we'll see something different at Photokina with the GH2. Panasonic HAS TO do something to remain competitive. I suspect the GH2 sensor will be different and better than the GH1 sensor, bringing with it higher resolution (14MP), increased ISO performance to 3200 over the current 800, improved DR, and some other features. I think Canon will bring out at least a 5D3 and a 60D with improved video performance that will put even the hacked GH1 to shame, leaving Panasonic to compete on price and portability alone unless they bring something that's at least comparable in performance (stills and video). Nikon has also announced a GH1 competitor of sorts, so it seems like the two other giants are recognizing this new market segment, and getting ready to dive in.

Will anything Panasonic releases solve the 'starry sky' issues you're seeing? I'm not sure, and probably not since it doesn't seem to affect IQ except in a very few select instances (I certainly haven't encountered it that I know of). I do think they're tied to their NMOS sensor technology given that they've built all those new plants for that technology.

Should be an interesting end of the year in photography to be sure.

V

Vivek

Panasonic HAS TO do something to remain competitive.
I agree but they have not.

Why would "starry skies" not affect "IQ"? Should Pana and Oly sell their cams labeled, "for limited use only"?

I am not very keen on what sort of improvements that Pana/Cano/Niko, etc have to offer for videos. Nice dreams you have about a GH2! :)

Brian Mosley

Since Olympus are dependent on Panasonic for sensors, there is little hope that they can do anything other than making EP to EPL and such.
Wasn't there a rumour of Kodak making a comeback to 4/3rds for the E-3 replacement? makes sense for Olympus to be independent of Panasonic imho...

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Yes, that would make sense.

Unfortunately, Pana have the best EVF (no pixelly sharp ones like that of Olympus' "optional" EVF) and that very useful swivel TFT.

Olympus may coat their body with thin tin sheets but they mainly make half useful cams (ie no integrated EVF).:(

Y.B.Hudson III

Panasonic lenses are designed to optimize "auto focus" performance, and not optimized to balance with the current m4/3sensor. If you shoot good cine glass or fast Mandler designed Leitz glass wide open...then the dynamic range of the sensor isn't much of a problem...*

* my intuitive take on t' subject... the last press release for the new Panasonic m4/3 camcorder, featured it with an adapted Ziess Ultra Prime...:)

andrewteee

Glass

There is room for improvement in the native m4/3 lenses! I'd love to see more high quality glass. The Panasonic 20/1.7 is very good, the rest are good but not great. While perhaps we've hit a plateau in the camera bodies themselves I'd like to see a focus on better lenses.

Brian Mosley

Yes, that would make sense.

Unfortunately, Pana have the best EVF (no pixelly sharp ones like that of Olympus' "optional" EVF) and that very useful swivel TFT.

Olympus may coat their body with thin tin sheets but they mainly make half useful cams (ie no integrated EVF).:(
Glad we're making sense... unfortunately I'm not following you on the EVF - the Olympus removeable EVF is a bit better than the fixed (and a lot better than the removeable) Panasonic EVF.

I actually find that I'm removing the EVF in the street, and popping it back on for the occasional shots where I need it. One EVF serves the E-P2 and E-PL1 too... which is environmentally friendly as well as cost effective :clap:

I'm sure we'll get a body with integrated EVF in due course... but I'm quite happy without one on the E-P1, and only use it 20% of the time on the E-P2/PL1 - so it's nice to be able to stow it away.

Cheers

Brian

kevinparis

Olympus toys?... grow up!!... at least they are a real camera company :) Challenge you to a drop test... but you have to go first :)

K

V

Vivek

Kevin, I am so taken by the curtain they used to cover the EP.

I would love to buy that Olympus curtain.:ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Panasonic lenses are designed to optimize "auto focus" performance, and not optimized to balance with the current m4/3sensor. If you shoot good cine glass or fast Mandler designed Leitz glass wide open...then the dynamic range of the sensor isn't much of a problem...*

* my intuitive take on t' subject... the last press release for the new Panasonic m4/3 camcorder, featured it with an adapted Ziess Ultra Prime...:)

This one was shot using the Pana 20/1.7 on a hacked G1 (Hoya R72 over the lens). If the DR, etc approaches this in visible light, I will be very very satisfied.

I am convinced that it isn't the lens alone but the problem is with the cam and the sensor/processor in particular.

Godfrey

Threads like this are always amusing.

What's the point? No one here knows for sure anyway. Anyone in the know from Panasonic or Olympus who did know something wouldn't say as they would be under NDA.

Godfrey

Glad we're making sense... unfortunately I'm not following you on the EVF - the Olympus removeable EVF is a bit better than the fixed (and a lot better than the removeable) Panasonic EVF. ..
Purely a matter of opinion ... I prefer the view through the G1/GH1/G2 over the E-P2/E-PL1 with their viewfinder (the G1 finder is brighter and cleaner to my eye).

Having spent some time with the GF1 without the optional EVF, I wouldn't buy it or any of the Olympus models without an optional EVF. And there I would pick the E-P2 for the better EVF and for its support of the EC14/EC20 teleconverters, even though I like the GF1 body controls more.

All kinds of ways to slice the cake, eh?

photoSmart42

Threads like this are always amusing.

What's the point? No one here knows for sure anyway. Anyone in the know from Panasonic or Olympus who did know something wouldn't say as they would be under NDA.
I think there's some value to speculative threads like this. For me personally, it sets a stake in the ground regarding the features that would make me want to upgrade, so when to final product does come out I'm more prepared to make a buy/wait decision. It certainly gives me something to look forward to, and to perhaps get excited over possibly getting it.

I suppose there's also an off-chance that someone at Panasonic/Olympus is listening, and thus there might be some influence over the direction of at least the marketing, and perhaps even actual camera features as they finalize the product.

If nothing else, it's fun =).

V

Vivek

I suppose there's also an off-chance that someone at Panasonic/Olympus is listening, and thus there might be some influence over the direction of at least the marketing, and perhaps even actual camera features as they finalize the product.
In that case, could I record my wish for a G3? I would like to see ISO12,800 (just to be able to dial in that number should be comforting. No need for real high ISO "performance") and voice activated controls of the camera. No buttons at all since the paint on them wear off anyway. Besides, it is a lot more hygienic.;)

photoSmart42

In that case, could I record my wish for a G3? I would like to see ISO12,800 (just to be able to dial in that number should be comforting. No need for real high ISO "performance") and voice activated controls of the camera. No buttons at all since the paint on them wear off anyway. Besides, it is a lot more hygienic.;)
Doesn't that describe the NEX? :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

Close but no cigar! ;):(

[Voice activated controls would mean no video is the feeble hope but I am sure that they will find a way to sneak in video somehow. :( ]

Last edited: