The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Completely scientific explaination for bokeh

RichA

I figure someone must have one somewhere? You grind a lens, keep aberrations under control. Coma, astigmatism, spherical aberration and to a lesser extent, distortion and aperture shape must all play a part in the representation of out of focus areas. But has anyone linked specific corrections to what we see? Broadly, what produces the best bokeh, a highly corrected lens, or a poorly correct one?

Michiel Schierbeek

It is an interesting link, I think Vivek posted it before in the bokehthread.
Klaus is right it is far more scientific then this sentence promises; " Don’t worry - Aside from some simple exceptions we will not be talking about mathematical formulas at all. "

The following I found interesting because I was always curious about the circular lines in the big OOf fighlights - the more scientific among us probably knew this - ; " It is possible to recognise from this that the lens has a aspherical surface as these surfaces are often not smooth as a conventionally polished lens. Particularly in the cases of lenses which are manufactured by pressing hot liquid glass it is possible to recognise the traces of the turning process with which the mould was manufactured."

Here is an example of this effect with the Canon Fd L 85/1.2

V

Vivek

Superb illustration of rough aspheric surface creating the "rings OOF" highlights, Michiel!

(Lovely capture as well! :))

RichA

Superb illustration of rough aspheric surface creating the "rings OOF" highlights, Michiel!

(Lovely capture as well! :))
God, don't remind me. I had a 14" (wide) telescope with a screwed-up aspherical surface like that. Was a nightmare to try to rectify the situation. With telescopes, it really matters because you end up using the scope at effective focal lengths of 25,000-50,000mm or more and those optical problems cause havoc with the image.