The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Contax G lenses on m43

gmoe

Looking good with the 28 & 21 lenses. Try some landscape shots at f/8 and then check the corners at 100%. My 28 does pretty good, but there is some very minor corner softness.
Sounds good Sho, I'll see if I can do that this weekend. :) I can live with a little corner softness. I'm hoping that we'll find some good results.

seakayaker

Crosses, Steeples & the Crescent Moon

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 90mm f2.8 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/500

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

gmoe

Great stuff seakayaker. You are really just having a ball with your Contax G lenses.

I took just a few quick run of the mill Philly landscapes at f/8 with the 21mm lens. I think it holds up pretty well. There's a tiny bit of fall off and vignetting when I look and compare all my pics using photoshop to examine in more detail but over all edge to edge sharpness is really nice. I again was expecting not so great results but was surprised to see how well the sharpness held up.

Just for kicks I attached my Raynox HD-6600PR055 wide angle adapter and I was pretty shocked at how well it held up too. When I pixel peep, theres a difference obviously and you can see vignetting and softness but I was expecting far worse. Still very useable to me.

Philly Skyline & Schuylkill River Contax G 21mm f/8 & Raynox HD-660PRO55 & GH1

Philly Skyline & Schuylkill River Contax G 21mm f/8 & GH1

Fairmount Water Works Contax G 21mm f/8 & Raynox HD-660PRO55 & GH1

Fairmount Water Works Contax G 21mm f/8 GH1

seakayaker

Very nice shots gmoe!

I have the Contax G 45/2 & 90/2.8. I would not be confident enough to buy the 21 & 28 and start cutting. Perhaps the 35mm some day . . . . .

Congratulations on the successful surgery and seeing the positive results!

Keep 'em coming!

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Cruise ~ Sail ~ Fish

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f4 -- 1/3200

Pier 66 - Seattle - Cruise Ships Dock, go for a parasail, and the local Native American's have a couple of fishing boats tied to the docks.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Confident Seagull

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f4 -- 1/2000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Rock Rose & Bee

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contag G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- 4 -- 1/640

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

U

uusunn

GF1 + Metabones

My only complaint with the Metabones adapter is that it's too big.. ordered a steadicam and the adapter is often too big, so that limits your choices on quick release mounts and accessories. Other than that it works nicely.

seakayaker

. . . . . they never stop running.

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contag G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/2000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Trolling for Flying Fish

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contag G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- 2.8 -- 1/3200

Life is Grand

Dan
~ ;)

scho

A few shots from a "Green" children's garden. G2 Contax G 45mm f/2 Planar.

Organic Tractor Cover

Recycled Plastic Bottle Wall (storage shed)

Sunflowers

Garden Gate

seakayaker

Cargo Vessel Tian Du Feng 'Taking on Grain' with Cruise Ships along Seattle Waterfront

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2.8 -- 1/2000

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

seakayaker

Roses in the Front Garden

GF1 with Carl Zeiss Contax G Planar T* 45mm f2 -- ISO 100 -- f2 -- 1/1300

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

scho

We took a drive over to the 3rd finger lake to our west (Keuka Lake) to visit some wineries on this most beautiful of all the finger lakes. Used the G1-IR with Contax G 28mm f/2.8 Biogon and a G2 with Lumix 14-45 kit lens.

Keuka Springs on the east shore

A lunch stop at a little lakeside cafe

Bully Hill vineyard on the west shore

Hay for mulching the vines

Heron Hill vineyard

and of course some grapes

Owen_Coors

Carl, are these IR images cropped, as I can't find any smearing in them, at all, even in the corners. The 21mm images, back up the page, show obvious smearing. Still haven't bought a 35/2, yet, but may decide to go with the 28mm after seeing these.

scho

Carl, are these IR images cropped, as I can't find any smearing in them, at all, even in the corners. The 21mm images, back up the page, show obvious smearing. Still haven't bought a 35/2, yet, but may decide to go with the 28mm after seeing these.
Owen,

Some of these are cropped, but here is a link to the full size, un-cropped version of the hay bales image above. I have not seen any edge smearing in the 28 images, but there is some slight corner softness, particularly at wider apertures. I normally shoot at about f/8 so I don't have any problems. The 35 is a bit sharper across the frame at all apertures.

Hay Bales FULL SIZE

Last edited:

Owen_Coors

Owen,

Some of these are cropped, but here is a link to the full size, un-cropped version of the hay bales image above. I have not seen any edge smearing in the 28 images, but there is some slight corner softness, particularly at wider apertures. I normally shoot at about f/8 so I don't have any problems. The 35 is a bit sharper across the frame at all apertures.

Hay Bales FULL SIZE
Thanks, Carl! The fullsize image is just great! That's all the quality I could hope for, in a 28mm RF lens on m4/3.

Howard

Carl,

For someone who has been shooting ir for 4+ years, I love your photos in post #95, especially the first (my favorite), second, and the grapes --all three are excellent. Some day when I upgrade my G1, I'll convert my G1 to ir, until then I will continue shooting IR with my converted Canon G9. Keep posting those wonder IR photos.

Howard

scho

Carl,

For someone who has been shooting ir for 4+ years, I love your photos in post #95, especially the first (my favorite), second, and the grapes --all three are excellent. Some day when I upgrade my G1, I'll convert my G1 to ir, until then I will continue shooting IR with my converted Canon G9. Keep posting those wonder IR photos.

Howard
Thank you Howard. I think you will enjoy using the G1 as an IR camera.