The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Converting a m4/3 camera to IR question

swandy

I have an EP2 and will shortly be picking up a used EPL1 (planned on getting an EP1 but the deal on the EPL1 was better).
Question is I want to convert one to an IR only camera.
I love the EP2 and have never handled the EPL1.
To those who have owned/used both - which would you keep as a "normal" camera and why?
Thanks,
Steve

V

Vivek

I don't own either models and I would strongly suggest that you get a G1 for IR.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The GF1 is another alternative, however I think you are limited to the 715nm conversion which by the way I am happy with.
-bob

swandy

Ended up getting the EPL1 (got a very slightly used one at a great price) converted. Did not want either of the Pana models (no IBIS) and figured I would only be converting one camera to IR and the EP2 will probably get replaced/updated eventually.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Does someone actually do an IR conversion with IBIS and it still works?
-bob

swandy

I used Spencer's Camera in Utah and the camera has the IBIS and the sensor cleaner replaced and working fine.

Irenaeus

I don't own either models and I would strongly suggest that you get a G1 for IR.
I understand that your G1 for IR has a great dynamic range. Three questions:

Have you been able to compare the G1 with an Olympus E1 converted to IR?

Have you managed an IR conversion for the NEX yet?

Where could one go to get the conversions done for any of these cameras?

Would you still prefer the G1?

Thanks, Ireneaus

swandy

Not saying that the G1 does not have good dynamic range, but I have had all three Olympus m4/3 bodies and have been very happy with their dynamic range.
What makes you think that the DR of the G1 is better? Have you compared them to the Olympus bodies?
Anyway, as I said I converted the EPL1 and am tickled pink at the way it turned out and the results I am getting.

V

Vivek

I understand that your G1 for IR has a great dynamic range. Three questions:

Have you been able to compare the G1 with an Olympus E1 converted to IR?

Have you managed an IR conversion for the NEX yet?

Where could one go to get the conversions done for any of these cameras?

Would you still prefer the G1?

Thanks, Ireneaus
Ireneaus:

1. No. The sensors are very different. Compared to my experience with CCD sensors (Sony sensors as implemented in Nikon cams), the Panasonic NMOS has an edge.

2. No. I am waiting for an EVF (or the next iteration of the NEX with an EVF).

3. No. I do not have any experience with anyone else converting it for me.

4. As of now, YES! :) The EVF and the swivel LCD certainly makes me use the camera readily than anything else (NEX-5 included).