The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic Developing 3D Lens for Micro Four Thirds

D

Devon Shaw

http://dpreview.com/news/1007/10072801panasonic3dlens.asp

"Panasonic is pleased to announce the development of the world's first* twin digital interchangeable lens. The revolutionary new accessory will make high quality 3D shooting possible with an interchangeable lens system camera for the very first time. As 3D content becomes increasingly popular across a variety of platforms, Panasonic plans to release this new lens for sale before the end of the year to deliver the joy and excitement of 3D shooting to interchangeable lens system camera users.

The introduction of the 3D lens aims to respond to demands of consumers who want to enjoy 3D shooting for themselves whilst also expanding Panasonic’s range of 3D products. The lens will allow users to capture images in 3D which can then be viewed back using 3D-capable VIERA televisions in the comfort of their own home.

As consumers slowly replace the main TV set in their house, and as the price of 3D TVs continue to fall, Screen Digest expects that 3D TVs will be in around a quarter of households in major developed markets by the end of 2014.

Until now, 3D shooting with an interchangeable lens system camera has only been possible by using panorama systems or a combination of two lenses and two CCDs, but these systems have drawbacks including the need for a dedicated 3D camera and the difficulties of capturing moving objects. Panasonic's new 3D lens for the LUMIX G Micro System features two optical systems installed within the diameter of the lens mount, creating stereo images from the left and right lenses, to be processed with a 3D image processing system. Thanks to Panasonic's advancements in optical technology, image processing system, and lens barrel design, the 3D lens still manages to retain an extremely compact size.

This new compact 3D-capable interchangeable lens allows easier handling and instant 3D shooting, producing 3D images without distortion or time lag between left and right images, even for moving objects."

f6cvalkyrie

Do you guys look at your photos on the television?
Yeah, Terry, I often prepare a memorystick with pics, that we enjoy as a "living wall decoration" when we have guests.

With some quiet music added !

Really nice feature of many modern plasma or lcd sets nowadays !

C U
Rafael

hot

Do you guys look at your photos on the television?
I look 3D photos/videos - most of them self-brewed - with

Zalman 3D monitor + passive pol glasses

Acer 3D projektor 1280x720 nativ - with nVidia active pol glasses

Samsung 40" 3D tv with Samsung active pol glasses

cameras:

Fuji Real3D (3D movie 640x480 only)
Canon IXUS100 pair (3D movie 1280x720)
DSLRs (Canon 550D, GFH1, NEX5, ...) with macro rail for 3D macros.

.. 3D makes FUUUUN !

3D BluRays "Grand Canyon" etc .... :thumbup:

hot

2D/3D projector - 4m x 2.3m ... or bigger?
2D/3D tv 57" ... or bigger?

two 3D pictures (with NEX5)

sagar

This is the last thing you need. Better Panasonic/Olympus develop some serious fast pancakes. That would be far more useful to users and helpful to business than such a toy.

Jonas

This is the last thing you need. Better Panasonic/Olympus develop some serious fast pancakes. That would be far more useful to users and helpful to business than such a toy.
To each their own I think. How did you know this is the last thing I need? From this thread I understand some think this new stereo lens is a very good add-on, while some think it is not.

Myself... well, I'm tired of mediocre pancakes. How good and fast do you think pancake type lenses can be? I hope they make more serious primes. If they need to be a bit bigger to become fast and good I think that is OK. It is enough with the 12, 14, 17 and 20mm pancakes in my opinion. Now bring on the high grade weather sealed APO lenses with good manual focusing abilities, complete with scales for distance and DOF.

oh yeah... rant over... ;)

regards,

/Jonas

hot

Iiiiii don't need pancake - I've Sony TX7 ... not such a toy :D

sagar

Not sure which medicore pancakes you used :D. But when I am referring to serious pancakes, I am expecting something like pentax ltd series. I think if we get that kind of pancakes for m4/3 that would be some real good stuff.

To each their own I think. How did you know this is the last thing I need? From this thread I understand some think this new stereo lens is a very good add-on, while some think it is not.

Myself... well, I'm tired of mediocre pancakes. How good and fast do you think pancake type lenses can be? I hope they make more serious primes. If they need to be a bit bigger to become fast and good I think that is OK. It is enough with the 12, 14, 17 and 20mm pancakes in my opinion. Now bring on the high grade weather sealed APO lenses with good manual focusing abilities, complete with scales for distance and DOF.

oh yeah... rant over... ;)

regards,

/Jonas

Jonas

Not sure which medicore pancakes you used :D. But when I am referring to serious pancakes, I am expecting something like pentax ltd series. I think if we get that kind of pancakes for m4/3 that would be some real good stuff.
Well, it was you mentioning "serious fast pancakes"...

The mediocre pancakes I have used are the Olympus 17mm and the Panasonic 20mm. I think they are both supposed to be sort of general purpose prime lenses for µ4/3 users. Then it is a pity none of them comes with an aperture ring or focusing scale, it's a pity the manual focusing is done by wire. Optically they are both decent but not anything special. The Panasonic 20mm is surprisingly "sharp" but that's all. I don't see anything wrong with this though, the lenses work fine and make money for the companies but they are what they are.

I have owned three of the Pentax limited lenses, the FA31/1.8, the FA70/1.8 and the DA70/2.4. So, I have tried one of the limited pancakes only. Boring stuff. A 70/2.4 would be equivalent to a 140/4.8 with our cameras, the DA 35/2.8 would act as an 70/5.6, the 40/2.8 would act as an 80/5.6 and the DA21/3.2 would act as an 42/6.4. Serious and fast, eh?

I know I am repeating myself but I want good stuff, like weather shielded fast APO lenses with aperture rings, focusing scales and mechanical focusing. As I said, I'm tired of mediocre pancakes.

The reason people like the Pentax limited series of pancakes... I think it is about the metal barrel and the good feeling these lenses are to hold in the hand. It's not thanks to their excessive LoCA or so-so performance.

I still wonder how fast and good and serious a µ4/3 pancake can be?

regards,

/Jonas

seakayaker

Well, it was you mentioning "serious fast pancakes"...

A 70/2.4 would be equivalent to a 140/4.8 with our cameras, the DA 35/2.8 would act as an 70/5.6, the 40/2.8 would act as an 80/5.6 and the DA21/3.2 would act as an 42/6.4. Serious and fast, eh?

regards,

/Jonas
I believe a 70/2.4 would be equivalent to a 140/2.4 where the focal length doubles and the aperture remains the same. . . . . . 40/2.8 = 80/2.8, 35/2.8 = 70/2.8 and the 21/3.2 = 42/3.2.

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

kds315

Yes Dan, fully correct, a f2.4 stays a f2.4 lens on whatever camera it might be used. Someone got the lens physics wrong ... as the f-number simply is the (inverse of the) effective diameter of the input pupil divided by the focal length of that lens. Both are defined by the lens design and not by its later use on any camera or sensor system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number

And no, the focal length does NOT double, but the angle of view is reduced proportionally to the sensor size vs. the designed image diameter. So a 100m lens stays a 100mm lens stays a 100mm lens...on whatever camera used. Just the part of that image used gets smaller....

Last edited:

Jonas

Oh well, as discussed many times the f-stop is useful for setting the lens for an exposure value and seen that way f/2.4 is f/2.4 however one tries to twist it.

When speaking of equivalency (which some hates) we compare to what another lens would do when used with a FF (which is a short some hates) camera and then DOF exposure value, ISO value, noise and FOV all are taken into account. That's why I said "would act" in my post above.

I was thinking everybody understood, between the lines, as we were discussing some hypothetical "serious, fast pancakes" which is something I have never seen in real life. I'm sorry for not being clear.

And now the interesting thing happened... we were all correct at the same time (except for that FL getting doubled which is a minor) - so life really is grand.

Cheers,

/Jonas