Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: SoFoBoMo and GF1

  1. #1
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    SoFoBoMo and GF1

    I shot this year's entire SoFoBoMo PDF book with a GF1. The project is a little late but finally posted on the SoFoBoMo web site.

    Have a look at: http://sofobomo.org/book-412-The-Road-Ends-in-Water. It's a large file, so give it 30 seconds or so to load.

    In case you don't know, SoFoBoMo is an annual event that requires production of a PDF book of at least 35 pictures shot in 31 contiguous days between June 1 and July 31. (The calendar advances one month each year.) If you like project-based shooting, it's a great experience. The GF1 was wonderful.

    John

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    seakayaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I shot this year's entire SoFoBoMo PDF book with a GF1. The project is a little late but finally posted on the SoFoBoMo web site.

    Have a look at: http://sofobomo.org/book-412-The-Road-Ends-in-Water. It's a large file, so give it 30 seconds or so to load.

    In case you don't know, SoFoBoMo is an annual event that requires production of a PDF book of at least 35 pictures shot in 31 contiguous days between June 1 and July 31. (The calendar advances one month each year.) If you like project-based shooting, it's a great experience. The GF1 was wonderful.

    John
    John it is a beautiful book!

    The beach scenes in black & white really work.

    I happen to love the beach and ocean so sharing your book was a special treat.

    Thanks,

    Life is Grand!

    Dan
    ~

  3. #3
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    John, I really enjoyed viewing your book. Are you having it printed?

    Thanks for sharing...

    Cheers

    Brian

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    I had a look at your book and found it to be a wonderful work. I mean it, page after page with really good images. It was a joy looking at them.

    Thank you for sharing your SoFoBoMo!

    /Jonas

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Hmm..very nice work and great images, but when I view in my browser (Safari) or download the pdf and view in Preview (Mac) there are many blank pages. Just a Mac problem or is the pdf corrupted?

    OK. It is a Mac problem. Does not view properly in Safari or Preview, but if downloaded and then opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader all is OK.
    Last edited by scho; 30th July 2010 at 16:59. Reason: Added info
    Carl
    Gallery

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Hmm..very nice work and great images, but when I view in my browser (Safari) or download the pdf and view in Preview (Mac) there are many blank pages. Just a Mac problem or is the pdf corrupted?

    OK. It is a Mac problem. Does not view properly in Safari or Preview, but if downloaded and then opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader all is OK.


    Yep, same thing in Safari on the Ipad. Really enjoyed it--very nice work.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    John,

    Very nice work. Enjoyed it -- well worth the Adobe Reader download

    -Thomas

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Good book!

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Nice job, John. Congratulations on finishing SoFoBoMo. I really enjoyed your photos.

  10. #10
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Well done, John, very nice book !

    C U
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  11. #11
    sphexx
    Guest

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Hmm..very nice work and great images, but when I view in my browser (Safari) or download the pdf and view in Preview (Mac) there are many blank pages. Just a Mac problem or is the pdf corrupted?

    OK. It is a Mac problem. Does not view properly in Safari or Preview, but if downloaded and then opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader all is OK.
    No problem viewing in Preview on Mac here [MacOS 10.5 G5 ppc].

    Really enjoyed viewing the book.

  12. #12
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your comments. I'm a PC users, so I can't address the Safari issue. It's a straight PDF export from InDesign, followed by an Acrobat Optimize. Anyone know if there is a PDF save setting that addresses this?

    Brian, I do hope to print it. In fact, I started by using the Blurb InDesign template, thinking I could create the web and print version in one file. But I realized the color space, resolution, and pagination would be different. So now I'll create a separate version for printing.

    The GF1 was wonderful for this. My only complaints are the LCD, which of course is worthless at the beach. Even the EVF leaks so much light that it's basically only good for framing. And the shutter sure could be quieter. Otherwise, it was a real pleasure to use.

    Thanks again.

    John
    Last edited by JohnW; 31st July 2010 at 02:14.

  13. #13
    Member Rick Waldroup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Excellent work, John. I enjoyed viewing the entire book.

    This sounds like a really cool project, something that I may look into next year. I take it that is a once-a-year event?

  14. #14
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
    Excellent work, John. I enjoyed viewing the entire book.

    This sounds like a really cool project, something that I may look into next year. I take it that is a once-a-year event?
    Yes, it's an annual event. You must shoot, write, and produce the book within a continuous 31-day period between June 1 and July 31. Today is this year's posting deadline. The calendar advances one month each year.

    This is my second year. I'd never taken this project-based approach to shooting. It's intense, but I really see its value and have enjoyed shooting to a theme and deadline. No reason we can't do it for ourselves anytime.

    John

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Thanks for sharing this, John, really good stuff!

    --
    OS10.6/Firefox, no problemas.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    One more 'thank you for sharing' and greetings! Very nice photos!

    I also wish I knew earlier about this project, so would participate it.
    I plan to do next edition.


    PS: I also had a look at your gallery. Real pleasure to view your work!
    Question - you use 1:1 format there. Why not 1:1 with GF1?

    PPS: Google Chrome & VISTA 64-bit - OK.

  17. #17
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: SoFoBoMo and GF1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_R View Post
    ...PS: I also had a look at your gallery. Real pleasure to view your work!
    Question - you use 1:1 format there. Why not 1:1 with GF1?
    I never thought much about this; both formats just seem the natural choices for each subject. I love square and think it works well for landscapes. It gives a stability and tranquility that I like. But people shots usually need that horizontal space for all that's going on in a typical scene.

    John

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •