The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SoFoBoMo and GF1

J

JohnW

I shot this year's entire SoFoBoMo PDF book with a GF1. The project is a little late but finally posted on the SoFoBoMo web site.

Have a look at: http://sofobomo.org/book-412-The-Road-Ends-in-Water. It's a large file, so give it 30 seconds or so to load.

In case you don't know, SoFoBoMo is an annual event that requires production of a PDF book of at least 35 pictures shot in 31 contiguous days between June 1 and July 31. (The calendar advances one month each year.) If you like project-based shooting, it's a great experience. The GF1 was wonderful.

John

seakayaker

I shot this year's entire SoFoBoMo PDF book with a GF1. The project is a little late but finally posted on the SoFoBoMo web site.

Have a look at: http://sofobomo.org/book-412-The-Road-Ends-in-Water. It's a large file, so give it 30 seconds or so to load.

In case you don't know, SoFoBoMo is an annual event that requires production of a PDF book of at least 35 pictures shot in 31 contiguous days between June 1 and July 31. (The calendar advances one month each year.) If you like project-based shooting, it's a great experience. The GF1 was wonderful.

John
John it is a beautiful book!

The beach scenes in black & white really work.

I happen to love the beach and ocean so sharing your book was a special treat.

Thanks,

Life is Grand!

Dan
~ ;)

Jonas

I had a look at your book and found it to be a wonderful work. I mean it, page after page with really good images. It was a joy looking at them.

Thank you for sharing your SoFoBoMo!

/Jonas

scho

Hmm..very nice work and great images, but when I view in my browser (Safari) or download the pdf and view in Preview (Mac) there are many blank pages. Just a Mac problem or is the pdf corrupted?

OK. It is a Mac problem. Does not view properly in Safari or Preview, but if downloaded and then opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader all is OK.

Last edited:

Diane B

Hmm..very nice work and great images, but when I view in my browser (Safari) or download the pdf and view in Preview (Mac) there are many blank pages. Just a Mac problem or is the pdf corrupted?

OK. It is a Mac problem. Does not view properly in Safari or Preview, but if downloaded and then opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader all is OK.
:cool:

Yep, same thing in Safari on the Ipad. Really enjoyed it--very nice work.

S

sphexx

No problem viewing in Preview on Mac here [MacOS 10.5 G5 ppc].

Really enjoyed viewing the book.

J

JohnW

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your comments. I'm a PC users, so I can't address the Safari issue. It's a straight PDF export from InDesign, followed by an Acrobat Optimize. Anyone know if there is a PDF save setting that addresses this?

Brian, I do hope to print it. In fact, I started by using the Blurb InDesign template, thinking I could create the web and print version in one file. But I realized the color space, resolution, and pagination would be different. So now I'll create a separate version for printing.

The GF1 was wonderful for this. My only complaints are the LCD, which of course is worthless at the beach. Even the EVF leaks so much light that it's basically only good for framing. And the shutter sure could be quieter. Otherwise, it was a real pleasure to use.

Thanks again.

John

Last edited:

Rick Waldroup

Excellent work, John. I enjoyed viewing the entire book.

This sounds like a really cool project, something that I may look into next year. I take it that is a once-a-year event?

J

JohnW

Excellent work, John. I enjoyed viewing the entire book.

This sounds like a really cool project, something that I may look into next year. I take it that is a once-a-year event?
Yes, it's an annual event. You must shoot, write, and produce the book within a continuous 31-day period between June 1 and July 31. Today is this year's posting deadline. The calendar advances one month each year.

This is my second year. I'd never taken this project-based approach to shooting. It's intense, but I really see its value and have enjoyed shooting to a theme and deadline. No reason we can't do it for ourselves anytime.

John

Jerry_R

One more 'thank you for sharing' and greetings! Very nice photos!

I also wish I knew earlier about this project, so would participate it.
I plan to do next edition.

PS: I also had a look at your gallery. Real pleasure to view your work!
Question - you use 1:1 format there. Why not 1:1 with GF1? :)

PPS: Google Chrome & VISTA 64-bit - OK.

J

JohnW

...PS: I also had a look at your gallery. Real pleasure to view your work!
Question - you use 1:1 format there. Why not 1:1 with GF1? :)
I never thought much about this; both formats just seem the natural choices for each subject. I love square and think it works well for landscapes. It gives a stability and tranquility that I like. But people shots usually need that horizontal space for all that's going on in a typical scene.

John