The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

c-mount 50mm-ish lens w/ 43mm thread?

Q

qwerty123

Can anyone recommend a c-mount prime lens for the GH1 in the 35 - 50 (even up to 80)mm range that:

(a) has no vignetting;
(b) has a 43mm front filter thread;
(c) has decent quality;
(d) doesn't weigh a lot;
(e) doesn't require alterations to work with c-mount adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-C-Mount-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B003EAS5SM
AND...
(f) is priced under $200?

I don't care that much about maximum aperature, although the faster the better.

I checked some other threads on here, but couldn't quite find the info I was looking for.

Basically, I have an anamorphic lens with a back rear thread of 43mm that I'd like to attach to a c mount. Thanks!

This is my first post here. Thanks for any help!

Y.B.Hudson III

most CCD c-mount filter rings rotate with the focus ring... :) Unless you opt for a cine lens...which will be out of your price range.

odds are that the conversion lens will cause unacceptable smearing...anyway:(

Last edited:

Brian S

For $200 you could get a good Jupiter-3, 39mm u4/3 adapter, and a 40.5 to 43mm step up ring. The J-3 is compact, and you will not get any vignetting. For a little bit more, get a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 in Leica Mount. It will focus to 18" and is very compact. Uses 43mm filters, and is on my EP2 now.

C-Mount lenses will cover 1" format at best. You will likely get some vignetting.

RichA

For $200 you could get a good Jupiter-3, 39mm u4/3 adapter, and a 40.5 to 43mm step up ring. The J-3 is compact, and you will not get any vignetting. For a little bit more, get a Nikkor 5cm F1.4 in Leica Mount. It will focus to 18" and is very compact. Uses 43mm filters, and is on my EP2 now.

C-Mount lenses will cover 1" format at best. You will likely get some vignetting.
Until the 1.3" and larger units show up on the used/surplus market. I would think a 35mm f2.0 would hardly vignette at all though. The Fuji 25mm f1.4 has modest vignetting. Its sharpness and contrast make it worth the use.

Y.B.Hudson III

heLLo... the filter ring on fujinon c-mount lenses rotate with the focus ring...precluding their use with an anamorphic converter...:) *

* the J-3 doesn't rotate, but the J-8 does...

Pat Donnelly

qwerty welcome!

Like RichA I think that lens you referred to would suffice. I understand all of the 2/3 lenses when over 25mm, do not vignette! The longer it is the less likely to vignette. Even 8mm lenses can do well, if in c-mount. There is a report here or on MF of a 40mm Zeiss 8mm lens that does a cracking job. I recently got a 75mm Cosmicar f1.9 for about $30, as part of a large lot. Bargains abound on eBay!
Part of the fun, if you are of Von Masoch tendencies, is looking for the elusive lenses.